Mylar that will shrink !?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi for a project i need mylar that does shrink, i have tensilised mylar wich does not shrink it rather gets more sloppy when heat treated. thats good for most projects, but because i have an unusual form now i cant stretch it on a table so i have to put it on by hand then heat shrink it.

any one have a source of mylar that shrinks more then 2 percent ? and is around 6 um

Hi for a project i need mylar that does shrink, i have tensilised mylar wich does not shrink it rather gets more sloppy when heat treated. thats good for most projects, but because i have an unusual form now i cant stretch it on a table so i have to put it on by hand then heat shrink it.

any one have a source of mylar that shrinks more then 2 percent ? and is around 6 um

Acoustat used DuPont HS65, which you may have trouble finding in small quantities. Acoustat bought 500-pound rolls, and even in that high-volume environment, a roll lasted a VERY long time.

You might check some of the sources listed on www.audiocircuit.com. I recall that there are several sources listed that sell small DIY quantities of various films.

aha so this is shrinkable ? i've seen somehwere on the net that moray james had some laying around , will try to send him a message.

because my project is round i cant use a stretch table :(

or if someone has a genius idea to aply mylar on a cylindrical stator? (or rahter 8 small flat stators i one go)pls let me know.

Attachments

• IMG_1264.JPG
    IMG_1264.JPG
    329.2 KB · Views: 312
Last edited:
aha so this is shrinkable ? i've seen somehwere on the net that moray james had some laying around , will try to send him a message.

because my project is round i cant use a stretch table :(

or if someone has a genius idea to aply mylar on a cylindrical stator? (or rahter 8 small flat stators i one go)pls let me know.

Yes, the HS65 is heat-shrinkable (hence the 'HS' in the part number). After gluing the mylar to the frame, Acoustat used an industrial heatgun to shrink the mylar to the proper tension. The conductive coating was applied after shrinking.

Model Airplanes coverings are the type of Mylar that shrinks.

It is what I used to make my very first ESL!!
I still have the stuff.

There are different gauges and the stuff I used was the thinnest I could find at about .5 mil to .75 mil after it was shrunk by being heated.

You can also wash off the extra heat glue backing with acetone and that helps a little bit

jer :)

thx for all the comments so far, i see Dupont has a HS 48 as well wich is 12 uM, still twice as heavy as i have now, but i hope i can find a piece somewhere on the net. gerald i indeed found some stuff for airplanes, but they are all thicker then 20uM or more :(

Regular Mylar C will shrink, they claim 50% when dipped in boiling water.(!!)

Unless I'm missing some information. :scratch1:

Check out the pictures in post #41 in this thread (mine)... the first pic is all wrinkled and dimpled, the second is the same application of Mylar, just heated with a standard variable heat gun...
This is 6um stuff

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/planars-exotics/243508-building-large-curved-esl-2.html

Hope this helps.:)

Last edited:
well i finished one of these round stators as menbrame i took some present wrapping :) verry thick but it whas the only stuff that shrunk. and i wanted to see if i could do it if i had the correct foil. and apprantly yes. it is now playing in the living room. crossed at 1 Khz , for the next one i want to make the cilinder a tiny bit bigger so i can squeeze some more menbrame in there, so the angle will decrease. it weird to have highs al around the room wherever i sit. i put some rockwool in the cylinder and some felt on the front. i thought it would not be a good idea to close the top and bottom of the cylinder, but after measurements it has the best results in distortion and in low frequency responce. next time i will ad a tiny dot of silicone to increase stability of the menbrame so i can increase the bias to gain some more sensitivity. for now i hope thinner foil will give me some increase in sens.

it has some suck out or cancelation around the 10Khz if i decrease angles this will be less. as for hearing its almost not noticable at listening position. i wonder how it sounds with 2 of these.

the thing is tiny thats what i like, 12 cm in diameter and 13 cm tall. small enough to sit on small loudspeaker cabinet

but im still looking for thin shrinkable mylar :)

Last edited:
but 2 % is almost nothing, i got tensiled mylar C i believe from dijkstra, this rather expands then shrink. if i have a wrinkele and heat threat it the whole thing sacks in, and will be worse then before using the heat gun. i think it stated a 2 percent shrink as well

Your Cylindrical version sound pretty cool!!
I have always wanted to try something like that but I never followed through with it yet.

well the funny thing is i tried it once 8 years ago, and that was a failure :) still wanted to do it once more. since i have a cnc right now, its makes things easier. i made a cicle with 8 corners, and made 8 stators that slip into slots on the circle, to create this lantern form. i then put it on a transformer winding machine, and dialled it in to have a pitch of 1 .3 times the wire thicknes. (its really small wire 0.2-0.3 mm or so) since its magnet wire there is some for of insulation, apparantly enough dont had wire failure so far.

the picture is after aplying the shrink foil that i had at hand. nicly shrinked and all. next step was adding the second spacers. i wanted to use the foam tape again but this ofcourse failed. because the wire is under tension while winding it compressed the foam underneith it, so i ahd to cut small spacers from PVC and glue them on top of exsisting foam spacers that support the mylar. i then again winded the second stator on top of that. the windong is the nice part :), it took 280 turns in total around 88 meters of wire for on stator so this thing holds 160 meters of wire.

could also be a nice design lamp when the support structure is made nicer :) the copper looks relaly cool and you can still see trough slightly

Attachments

• with mylar.JPG
    with mylar.JPG
    299.8 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:
Very Cool!!
I was thinking of ways to make one using my wire mesh stator's as they are very flexible.

I have been thinking about a a curved stator desktop version.
Kind of like a Mini-Micro ML.

I think that a small curved panel won't have as bad of the time delay issues that the much larger curved panels have.

You see I haven't given up on the curved panels completely, as I really believe in the Electrically segmented design.

But the cost of the resistors for my small panels is way more than what it cost for me to build them.
Beside the resistors needed are too bulky for the size of the panel to begin with.

I had really good results with the narrower 3" wide panel as they were.
But I think a small curve in them may very well help them as well.

"Keep on DYIin" ;)

:cheers:

Attachments

• Coated screen.jpg
    Coated screen.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 157
Very Cool!!
I was thinking of ways to make one using my wire mesh stator's as they are very flexible.

I have been thinking about a a curved stator desktop version.
Kind of like a Mini-Micro ML.

I think that a small curved panel won't have as bad of the time delay issues that the much larger curved panels have.

You see I haven't given up on the curved panels completely, as I really believe in the Electrically segmented design.

But the cost of the resistors for my small panels is way more than what it cost for me to build them.
Beside the resistors needed are too bulky for the size of the panel to begin with.

I had really good results with the narrower 3" wide panel as they were.
But I think a small curve in them may very well help them as well.

"Keep on DYIin" ;)

:cheers:

that mesh is it coated ? or do you coat it urself. also where do you get it ? it looks nice.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.