My_Ref Fremen Edition RC - Build thread

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello Dario
I built the amplifier starting about 2 months .I used your BOM even if some components are not at all the ones you've recommended as a final choice. I reserve further action with the necessary calm. Attached present my creation done by hand, piece by piece. I wanted to make a rigid and lightweight aluminum structure divided into two parts: the one where they lodge the splendid PCB and the other with separate transformers in another case.
these two, the features are then hosted in a yet to be built that will welcome them to implement an inertial confinement through the elastic suspension.
After the wiring I tried to turn on the amp: the LEDs are turned on and there was the click of the relay. I measured the DC offset and I found a channel on the 0.5 mA and 0.7 mA the other. More forward I will do the listening test

http://i60.tinypic.com/1z3wfol.jpg
2014-09-01 01.05.36.jpg

2014-09-01 01.07.13.jpg

2014-09-16 12.40.31.jpg

2014-09-16 16.23.47.jpg

2014-09-16 16.25.44.jpg

Why have you insulated the smoothing capacitors? (the layer of air between the plastic casing and the added aluminium or metal sheet) !
Why have you turned the heatsinks on their sides and then enclosed them so they can't cool effectively?
Why have you attached the chipamps to a side fin instead of to the heatsink backplate?

Last edited:
Hello Dario
I built the amplifier starting about 2 months ....

Good for you !

How does it sound ? This is a very interesting design and I've not heard it myself.

I assume you will have some air flow over the black heatsink but you will get some additional heatsinking from the Al frame that everything is bolted to - you could put some heatsink compound (grease) between the black heatsink and the chasis to help further.

Why have you insulated the smoothing capacitors? (the layer of air between the plastic casing and the added aluminium or metal sheet) !
Why have you turned the heatsinks on their sides and then enclosed them so they can't cool effectively?
Why have you attached the chipamps to a side fin instead of to the heatsink backplate?
I coated capacitors (all) with a lead foil to experience an effective fight against vibration. The last measure more '
important will be elastically suspend these chassis to get an inertial confinement of the structure. This part is yet to be realized.
I need time for this.
for the layout of the heatsinks I loosely based on the solution
proposed by Mauro Penasa in My Evolution Ref. (http://www.webalice.it/mauro.penasa/Evolution/Assemblaggio_Evolution.pdf)
The heat dissipation participates entire undercarriage that is aluminum together with the heat sinks.

I assume you will have some air flow over the black heatsink but you will get some additional heatsinking from the Al frame that everything is bolted to - you could put some heatsink compound (grease) between the black heatsink and the chasis to help further.
Useful advice that will certainly put 'in place.
This suggestion had given the same Mauro Penasa on Evolution Amplifier (see the link above)

Attached present my creation done by hand, piece by piece. I wanted to make a rigid and lightweight aluminum structure divided into two parts: the one where they lodge the splendid PCB and the other with separate transformers in another case.
these two, the features are then hosted in a yet to be built that will welcome them to implement an inertial confinement through the elastic suspension.

Hi Sontero,

it's a really original and interesting build. :)

I coated capacitors (all) with a lead foil to experience an effective fight against vibration.

Interesting, did you ever made an A/B comparison and if so what difference can be heard (if any) ?

but you will get some additional heatsinking from the Al frame that everything is bolted to - you could put some heatsink compound (grease) between the black heatsink and the chasis to help further.

+1

Hi Sontero,

it's a really original and interesting build. :)

many thanks Dario

Interesting, did you ever made an A/B comparison and if so what difference can be heard (if any) ?
will be very easy to remove the shield of lead and check and will give precise statements. This is an experience that I think for a long time and this is a good opportunity. But the experiment more 'interesting will be the structural elastic suspension.
This experience then you will also transfer to my DAC that will receive the same change with the same structure.

I coated capacitors (all) with a lead foil to experience an effective fight against vibration. The last measure more '
important will be elastically suspend these chassis to get an inertial confinement of the structure. This part is yet to be realized.
What vibration are you trying to stop?

Also, agree the heatsink area transfering heat to the rest of the sink and chassis is very narrow, most probably ineffective. Would be way better if you flip the sink bottom up and bolt the chip down to it, even though the fins would run horizontally.

Friends, listening test is in progress....one word : simply Fantastic, very fantastic amplifier.

Dario you are GREAT :D

My reference for over 10 years is an OTL Circlotron homebuilt that has never been surpassed by any other amplifier.
The MyRef Fremen Edition is the same level, I have no doubt.
I also built the "MyRef A version of Penasa" .... great amp ... but the Fremen is absolutely superior in everything.

Friends, listening test is in progress....one word : simply Fantastic, very fantastic amplifier.

Dario you are GREAT :D

My reference for over 10 years is an OTL Circlotron homebuilt that has never been surpassed by any other amplifier.
The MyRef Fremen Edition is the same level, I have no doubt.
I also built the "MyRef A version of Penasa" .... great amp ... but the Fremen is absolutely superior in everything.

The sound of myref is very good . Currently powered by a preamplifier BA3 ( Class A Pass ) expresses a correct sound , open midrange with good stereo imaging .
It is worth building it. :cheers:
I can not make a direct comparison with F5 Pass because I can not use the same speakers. :wave:

Finally

I can't believe it has been almost 3.5 years the finished boards have been sitting on my workbench. I am finally listening to the finished product. I am very pleased so far and they seem to improve with each song. I ordered from the diyaudio store the Dissipante 3U chassis and can highly recommend it. Both channels are dead quiet. I will do some more critical listening in the near future and get back with my final opinion but I am sure it will fare well. I will be comparing it to Pete Millet's engineers amp (tubes), a heavily modified Michaelson & Austin TVA-1 (more tubes and my reference) and I may pull out my old gain clone just for the fun of it. Finally finished.:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.