• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

My_Ref Fremen Edition Interest/Group Buy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
AMTRANS 1nF @ PCX

I love these little Amtrans caps. They sound very sweet. For those of you who are thinking of using the Amtrans 1 nF caps from the premium BOM and buying them from PartsConnexion, there is some temporary disappointing news. PCX is currently out of stock on these items and they are not part of the order they are expecting presently. I traded email with Stephanie at PCX and they will continue to carry them, but she can't say at this moment when they will get more.

Perhaps there is an alternative part or alternative source for the Amtrans. I looked a bit, but didn't find one in America or Europe. Since Amtrans are made in Japan, you guys in Asia may be lucky.

In the meantime, if you want these caps and would buy them from PCX, I suggest that you send them an email expressing your interest. A few of us asking might bring it up their priority list for their next order.

Jac

Last edited:
Entirely Off Topic and Far from Reality

Dario yes-both.
Do you ever sleep ? :)

Dario is famous for posting in the middle of the night European time. I can't confirm, but there is a theory that he actually moved to southern Mongolia because he thought the the Gobi Desert looks like the planet Dune. So when you think he is posting in the middle of the European night, he is actually posting at breakfast time in Mongolia.

There is one problem. None of the pretty Mongolian girls that he has met know how to Salsa dance. In the end, he may have to move back to Milan, just to find a dancing partner.

For those of you who are thinking of using the Amtrans 1 nF caps from the premium BOM and buying them from PartsConnexion, there is some temporary disappointing news.

You can find them from hificollective.

Dario is famous for posting in the middle of the night European time.
(...)
In the end, he may have to move back to Milan, just to find a dancing partner.

I'm in Milan, 1:51AM here... just finished both monoblocks, I'm actually listening them... ;)

attachment.php

Did you ever try the Elna RJH at C9 position? If so, how does it stack up against the currently available capacitors?

Not bad but too thin, IMHO.

I like better your AVXs.

Attachments

• DSC_0458_1024.jpg
    DSC_0458_1024.jpg
    227.6 KB · Views: 460
Last edited:
Good Plan

To replace BGs, has anyone tried for example a Elna Silmic II or High grade Nichicon with a bypass cap such as the MKP-1837?
Vishay R. Film Caps

It would be interesting to know how it sounds...

Do

I haven't, but I agree with you, it would be interesting to try. Maybe compared to the BG PK which is available and cheap enough you wouldn't care if you lost it. It seems like it would be easy to add the bypass cap on the underside without changing the board.

I hope you try it and report back. We all know that it will take ideas like this and some careful experimentation to find that replacement for BGs.

Jac

To replace BGs, has anyone tried for example a Elna Silmic II or High grade Nichicon with a bypass cap such as the MKP-1837?
Vishay R. Film Caps

These tests have been done on the stock My_Ref and I've empirically found that the ideal bypass value seems 22nF.

MKP1837 is sweet but lacks detail and harmonic content, I like best as C9 bypass Wima FKP2.

Panasonic ECHU (PPS SMD) is also a good choice.

These tests have been done on the stock My_Ref and I've empirically found that the ideal bypass value seems 22nF.

MKP1837 is sweet but lacks detail and harmonic content, I like best as C9 bypass Wima FKP2.

Panasonic ECHU (PPS SMD) is also a good choice.

But does that bring you any closer to the BG cap or still far from it? Which electrolytic brand/model was used?

What about the Amtrans film and foil ones?

Do

Last edited:
This build is a bit different... Blackgate STD in C1, C2

Dario.

I'm really interested what you learn with this. The STD are rated at 16V, only a small margin above the circuit voltage. I think it should be fine, but I've never been brave enough to try such a small margin.

I considered Elna RJH in the 25V version for C1, C2 before the mini GB came together.

Jac

But does that bring you any closer to the BG cap or still far from it? Which electrolytic brand/model was used?

I've used/tried a lot of caps in C9: Silmic, Silmic II, Cerafines, FMs, FCs, FWs, FGs, KZs, STDs, FKs, NXs.

Apart BGs the cap I like best alone is Nichicon FG.

I'm pretty sure tha with a good film/foil bypass (like FKP2s or AMCHs) sound will be not too different from a BGs

At that time a Silmic II/FKP2 combo sounded not far from a BG STD.

But, as often happens with combined caps, I've found the single STD more coherent than the SilmicII/FKP2 combo.

But probably a not small part of the problem is related with the fact that the FKP2 is a radial part, maybe an SMD bypass, like the Panasonic EHCU would be more coherent.

What about the Amtrans film and foil ones?

They would be fantastic but the needed value (10-33nf) is not available...

I'm really interested what you learn with this. The STD are rated at 16V, only a small margin above the circuit voltage.

No, no, no... The BG STDs I've used are rated 220uF 50V!

You can't use 25V parts in C1, C2.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_2385.JPG
    IMG_2385.JPG
    148.7 KB · Views: 488
To all members of this group buy: a lot of these issues were previously addressed in the various threads that describe other versions of the MyRef amp. See those threads in the Chip Amp section, especially the Ulimate BOM thread. Many experiments were done by Dario and others, with part selection and results discussed in detail. Almost all of those conclusions will apply equally to the FE MyRef. Get searching.

Also, once you have successfully built your own MyRef and learned its character, you should be eager to experiment on your own and share your conclusions with the group. The first MyRef group buy targeted lowest possible cost with no thought to sonic properties, and included some very cheap parts. A lot of adventurous experimentation led to steady improvement and the consensus that this is a good recipe.

Still, every taste is different, and systems will accentuate certain qualities to the detriment of others. In some cases, agreement could not be reached about which part sounded best. Although some were obviously superior, many components produced subtle differences that were probably system dependent.

Don't get too hung up on having the perfect combination of the best sounding parts the first time you turn on the amp. It sounds excellent with modest, even crappy, components. A big attraction of this design is its simplicity, which makes it easy for novices to experiment. That should be part of the fun. Play with it until you get the sound YOU like best, then let the rest of us know.

Peace,
Tom E

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.