My_Ref Fremen Edition - Build thread and tutorial

As it could be expected, the distortion reached impressive low levels (in the high frequency range) with the new opamp.

But but. I was so dis-impressed by the amount of fight needed to achieve this, that I did not even proceed to complete two boards and give it a listen..
I beg your pardon..

In the meantime, the *627 family amps had been giving such a satisfaction in our setups that I have been asked quickly to convert all four of our Evolution amps to the configuration ADA4627, or, in my case, the OPA827.

Practically this is the configuration that in our small group we are using these amps in tha past ~~ one year.
We had made comparative listening at each time, at each swap out of the LM318. All time we concluded to proceed.. And no going back since.
I'm not saying that the original would be bad. We just found to get more satisfaction with the substitutes.

And some days ago I have just found a new element going in favour of this configuration, with the *627 family.

This time I had put the original OPA627 in the FE test modules. These are the ones which I liked so much with the ADA4627. Well, the OPA627 is no slouch as well. Going by memory, maybe it's less of a 'magic' than the ADA4627 had been, a bit more 'factual', dry, less spectacular, but very musical with fantastic resolution of details.
But but.. again, as it already happened before, I had experienced a little small step back from the usual sound, like a bit of a 'collapse' of everything, a (slight, mind you) sense of compression. With respect to my reference, the full modded, dual current pump Evolution.

And as before, I don't feel like the known differences would justify this.. So I was searching, again, to find out tha cause which I had been chasing, in vain, already before.

Then I arrived to the feedback cap, the Black Gate PK which I have in there.
It's there because I had found it the best tradeoff in the past (thanks again, Dario!), Cerafines included..

The question is : why do we need a cap in that location?
Short answer is: because of the input bias currents of the LM318, plus the topology of the amplifier. Which results not compensated for the offeset generated by the drop in the different input impedances seen by the input pins.
The original myref puts out ~800mV output offset due this dis-balance in the input impedances, if no feedback cap is applied, or a servo circuit.

But what is the case with the new family of fet opamps? They exhibit many orders less input bias current with respect to the bjt input LM318. As a side effect, also the input current noise is orders smaller, and in fact one can observe a decrease in the noise levels with these amps..

The facts: a short circuit in place of the feedback cap C9 in my FE modul with OPA627 resulted in 2mV / 3mV output offset, Left/Right channel.
As a matter of fact, with fet input opamps one does not need anymore to compensate for offset.

And the sound is: Wov. I think I have found the missing link for that old problem lingering from the past.. That feedback cap, any kind of it, is a great holdback for good sound, unfortunately..

In fact, I have just completed the 'full cirle' : had taken off, disconnected also the DC servo loop in the Evolution -- with the same very nice result in the sound opening up.. (and below 1mV DC for both channels this time).

All the best,

George

Hello George,
i find your experiments very interesting, so thank you for sharing your long time efforts!
But reading your experiences, beyond measurements, i could not have a clear understanding of SQ impressions about different opamps (maybe it's too soon for a comprehensive opamps shootout...).
In particular, i can't understand what is the best sounding opamps among 627 family FE-onboard, if ADA4627, OPA 827 or OPA627 himself (no cost limitations, of course). Obviously removing C9, as suggested...
What are your impressions? Is OPA627 the best sounding opamp in My_Ref FE or are its "cousins" more 'magic' sounding? Which one would you suggest for a satisfaction-safe FE mod?

Last edited:
So I'm not the only one who's confused by all these experiments and the conclusions drawn? Can someone organize the various circuit modifications and subjective impressions? My head is spinning.

When C9 is removed and shorted, what happens to R10?

I like the way my amps sound now, and I'm not willing to tear into them until I see something more conclusive. Lots of people have worked on this amp in the past and raved about the results, only to realize after the thrill of modification wore off that the new thing didn't sound any better, or even as good, as the original thing.

I am not being critical of experimentation. In fact, I'm thrilled that people are still thinking about ways to improve this design, and I think it would honor Mauro and make him proud. Please continue, but try to better organize your presentation of results. Perhaps leave discussion of or comparison to MyEvo completely out of it. This is a MyRef thread, after all.

Peace,
Tom E

Tom, Luca, I hear You..

I can only bring up as an excuse, that initially I definitely did not want people, except for the adventurous minds, to easily replicate these tests, and get into problems..
But as time passing, experience is getting accumulated and I feel more confident in suggesting some variants.

So my suggestion as safe bets would be, presently: ADA4627 & OPA827, as equally well performing parts, and with a way of implementation tested by a slowly growing number of people.
The other chips, as though some of them are also 'okay', like the original OPA627: are less 'inspiring', somehow.

The ADA4898 is a different animal: it is very interesting, but I think it needs some more work, more investigation, because it's bipolar, and so the explored advantages offered by the Fet input counterparts are not so simply applicable. But I feel it's worth the efforts.

And a clear 'wiki' page style reassumption would not be a bad idea..

Ciao, George

Yes, and I suppose this is what AndrewT had been hinting at. Bluntly..
But he is right, about being always careful.

So, with the C9 shorted, you have an amp with full gain at DC. In contrast with a design still using C9, or servo-controlled applications, where the gain at DC level is set back to 1.

It obviously means that care should be taken what regards the DC component at the input of the amp. C13 is there for this reason, to block any input DC from getting amplified, and doing harm on the output.

Just an example: how many Gaincard, Gainclone style amplifiers had been constructed in the world in your opinion? They all work in the very same way, they have full DC gain
and need an input DC blocking cap so as to prevent DC from the source propagating through. They usually are not even including DC output protection.

Then, loads of designs apply DC-servo. What is not clear for the users that DC-servo is not able to block dangerous levels of DC from propagating through.
Dc -servo circuits saturate usually at already very low levels -- after that they are not able to compensate any more, and just let through the rest of the high DC input signal. At that point, the circuit amplifies it with nominal gain, ~30dB generally.

So, circuits with DC servo are prone almost the same way to possible distruction.
The only effective measure is Dc-output protection, like the one in these Penasa/ FE amps.

Ciao, George

Last edited:
Tom, Luca, I hear You..

I can only bring up as an excuse, that initially I definitely did not want people, except for the adventurous minds, to easily replicate these tests, and get into problems..
But as time passing, experience is getting accumulated and I feel more confident in suggesting some variants.

So my suggestion as safe bets would be, presently: ADA4627 & OPA827, as equally well performing parts, and with a way of implementation tested by a slowly growing number of people.
The other chips, as though some of them are also 'okay', like the original OPA627: are less 'inspiring', somehow.

The ADA4898 is a different animal: it is very interesting, but I think it needs some more work, more investigation, because it's bipolar, and so the explored advantages offered by the Fet input counterparts are not so simply applicable. But I feel it's worth the efforts.

And a clear 'wiki' page style reassumption would not be a bad idea..

Ciao, George

Thank you very much George, that's all i wanted to know. I'll try to cope with DC ;)

Thanks for clarifying. Still not sure I want to start swapping opamps. C9 has always been one of the "weak links" in this design. I use the Blackgate std (actually, I was the first to try it in the old MyRef C boards), and it sounds very good. I understand its function, and that the opamp must be changed first. I also now realize that R10 sets the gain and must remain, so dumb question there. However, with C9 out of circuit, are there any restraints on changing R10 value to obtain different gain?

I have a pair of new OPA627's on hand. Is it worthwhile to try them and short C9, or does the amp sound as good with LM318 and BG std C9 in place? Are there any other mods that must be done at the same time?

Peace,
Tom E

Thanks for clarifying. Still not sure I want to start swapping opamps. C9 has always been one of the "weak links" in this design. I use the Blackgate std (actually, I was the first to try it in the old MyRef C boards), and it sounds very good.
no cap sounds much better than any cap... ;)

However, with C9 out of circuit, are there any restraints on changing R10 value to obtain different gain?
yes. Stability and performance. This is a very sophisticated and delicate nested feedback circuit. It's not a circuit which anyone can play with: only a competent and expert professional EE such as George (Joseph K) can do so.

I have a pair of new OPA627's on hand. Is it worthwhile to try them ...
Please let me make it very clear, before someone make disasters:

In this circuit it is NOT possible to simply swap OpAmps!

It is possible to use different OpAmps, BUT some other circuit details (mainly compensation) will likely have to be modified accordingly.

Dropping in whatever OpAmp you have at hand without proper circuit tuning will likely result in wild self-oscillations. Which might destroy your amplifier, your speakers or even set your house in fire. You've been warned.

If you want to improve circuit performance without making damage, you have to follow exactly all of George's indications about circuit modifications and components. And double check you did it all right.

As George clearly stated in previous posts, while the OPA627 can be made to work somehow, for various reasons it is NOT recommended to use it. That is: DON'T TRY IT at home.

To date, the only recommended OpAmps are ADA4627 or OPA827. Make sure to follow detailed instructions before swapping.

And yes, the modified amplifier sounds way much better than the original version. Yet another big advantage is that using those OpAmps you'll no longer need a buffer or preamplifier to get the most out of this nice amplifier. You can simply place a volume potentiometer in front of it.

Last edited:
And yes, the modified amplifier sounds way much better than the original version.

Agreed. For me the opamp substitution was a much bigger step forward than removing C9.

Yet another big advantage is that using those OpAmps you'll no longer need a buffer or preamplifier to get the most out of this nice amplifier. You can simply place a volume potentiometer in front of it.

I'm not following, why is this?

I'm not following, why is this?
Ideally, OpAmps should "see" exactly the same impedance (to ground) from both inputs (both for DC & AC). Failing to do so may negatively affect performances (and SQ) as well as increase DC offset on output. Placing a volume control potentiometer on the amplifier input will prevent the possibility to guarantee such a balance (for every position of the pot). But JFET-input OpAmps (such as ADA4627 and OPA827) are much less sensitive to impedance unbalance than BJT-input ones (such as the original LM318).

In fact, long ago we had found out that just adding a potentiometer in front of an (unmodified) my_Ref or myEvo to turn it into an "integrated" amplifier was detrimental in terms of SQ WRT driving it with a suitable buffer or preamp. Lately (after the mods) we tried again, and this time results have reversed: they sounds better when used with just a potentiometer. Less is more, as it should be. :) (YMMV).

Ideally, OpAmps should "see" exactly the same impedance (to ground) from both inputs (both for DC & AC). Failing to do so may negatively affect performances (and SQ) as well as increase DC offset on output. Placing a volume control potentiometer on the amplifier input will prevent the possibility to guarantee such a balance (for every position of the pot). But JFET-input OpAmps (such as ADA4627 and OPA827) are much less sensitive to impedance unbalance than BJT-input ones (such as the original LM318).

In fact, long ago we had found out that just adding a potentiometer in front of an (unmodified) my_Ref or myEvo to turn it into an "integrated" amplifier was detrimental in terms of SQ WRT driving it with a suitable buffer or preamp. Lately (after the mods) we tried again, and this time results have reversed: they sounds better when used with just a potentiometer. Less is more, as it should be. :) (YMMV).

It is good to see the mods make the amps friendly to installation of a passive pot. I saw George's Full version of Evo Rev A this week. The pot is right at the RCA jacks.
I like using 10k pots. But with not need one right now. My two favorite dacs have four channel volume controls for the Evo and a sub.

Tom,

I'm afraid Paolo is generating some confusion; I have never said do not use the OPA627; I have stated several times it can be used, with the same guidelines like those for the ADA4627 given;

Your question regarding the value of this test -- hm, good question.
As I stated, I did not find anything especially wrong with this chip, it works very well in the FE design, it measures like a beast, and it sounds ok..

Is it better than the original, the LM318? Good question. For sure the OPA627 brings all the discussed advantages of the Fet inputs; you can try with C9 shortened; you can place a potentiometer direct on the input; it is less noisy than the LM318, because of the missing input current noise; you can use with higher impedances. It's not as perfect in opressing common mode input distortion as the OPA827, though.

And in some days I might have again an another amp in it's original format.
Then I can compare that to the FE with OPA627's in it, directly.

If you would decide to 'move ahead', I can help You.

Ciao, George

Thanks for clarifying. Still not sure I want to start swapping opamps. C9 has always been one of the "weak links" in this design. I use the Blackgate std (actually, I was the first to try it in the old MyRef C boards), and it sounds very good. I understand its function, and that the opamp must be changed first. I also now realize that R10 sets the gain and must remain, so dumb question there. However, with C9 out of circuit, are there any restraints on changing R10 value to obtain different gain?

I have a pair of new OPA627's on hand. Is it worthwhile to try them and short C9, or does the amp sound as good with LM318 and BG std C9 in place? Are there any other mods that must be done at the same time?

Peace,
Tom E

It is good to see the mods make the amps friendly to installation of a passive pot. I saw George's Full version of Evo Rev A this week. The pot is right at the RCA jacks.
I like using 10k pots. But with not need one right now. My two favorite dacs have four channel volume controls for the Evo and a sub.

George,

Again, it was very nice to be able to chat, my pleasure!
And I hope we had just curbed up your curiosity enough, so You might wish to launch in experimenting.. :)

Ciao, George

Hi all
I can share my experience

I've fitted Opa827 , C9 is returned in my capacitor bag and Rin now is 330K, for all this mods i have to thanks Joseph. For who use Cin, now the C can go down to 330nF.
The result is wonderful, especially with my LDR, detail, dinamic, punch and soundstage are first class, the sound is free of compression, smooth and gorgeous ...and like Unixman said, no more needs of Pre or Buffer, just a volume regulator.

This mods raise FE ( IMHO) in the olimpus of Amplifier...I tried FE versus Gryphon, McIntosh and other amps, the FE was preferred ( by owners of Gryphon, Mc etcetera, not just by me )
For who have speakers with low sensibility and low impedance, I can suggest to try 4 FE , 2 for High and 2 for low frequency ( if speakers have double connection )
With this configuration i have drove Penaudio Chara Charisma, Merlin MMx without problems and with a stunning results.

Ciao
Marco

But the inputs are unbalanced with or without a buffer or pot. In fact, adding a pot will bring the inputs closer in balance, regardless of whether a bipolar or FET input is used.

I'm not denying that it may sound better without a buffer, I just don't see how the FET input cares less about a buffer being present. George?