My_Ref Fremen Edition - Beta build/Fine tuning

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Dario,

Here is the package I received today, thanks a ton :cheerful:

Attachments

• 2012-08-02 13.41.23.jpg
    2012-08-02 13.41.23.jpg
    442.6 KB · Views: 261
My boards arrived today - thanks. My soldering skills will have to improve to do them justice!

Tim

I feel the same way. My soldering got me in trouble with the beta build FE. My boards worked only intermitantly. Either a cold joint or heat damaged component.
Hope you have adjustable heat and assorted tips for your iron. Good luck with your build Tim.

My boards arrived today - thanks. My soldering skills will have to improve to do them justice!

I feel the same way. My soldering got me in trouble with the beta build FE. My boards worked only intermitantly. Either a cold joint or heat damaged component.

Don't worry.

With the right soldering temperature all will go well. ;)

For those with little or no soldering experience, here is a little project page with a handy-dandy (and free) way to get some practice time.

Soldering Practice Kits

Any scrap or super cheap parts ( Radio Shack resistors and caps of various sizes) can be added. RS has cheap un-coated wire of different sizes, and you can even just strip the insulation from something on hand (even individual wires from stranded lamp cord or some old cat5/6) to wrap around the nails. That will give you the feel of the time/temperature relationship with your own equipment. I wouldn't necessarily recommend buying boards for practice, but a call to a local TV or amp repair shop may shake loose a dead PCB with several required styles of soldering - ex. through hole and surface mount.

- If you have some spare SMD pieces, a 30 cent 1/2" copper tube cap serves well as a practice base.

( If you have a lot of courage, the bottom of your wife's silver serving tray would be excellent :cuss:)

Just a little time invested and you'll soon be teaching others.:D

Last edited:
Is My_Ref capable of driving Speakers like Monitor RX6? I am pairing my MyRef with RX6, it sounds beautiful but bass is not good. Bass is not what I am getting when I pair my speaker with Onkyo TXNR5008.

My speaker
-----------
Monitor Audio RX6

MyRef
------
Linuxguru's MyRef Ver1.4 with panasonic 6800uF for power supply
Most of the components are premium quality components like Nichicon FZ, Wima.

Is there any mistake I have done in my MyRef?

Thanks
Badri

what's your transformer's rating, badri? when i paired my myref to 8ohm speakers i experienced a significant improvement in driver control as compared to the 4ohm design. and i know how these speakers sound under same conditions so my only conclusion was that the myref was tuned for 8ohm loads, due to the 24v transformers i have.

mauro originally recommended 22v transformers for 4ohm load, 24v for 8ohm. so maybe you'd have best results with 23-0-23 since your speakers are suppose to be 6ohm (probably 4ohm tho). but on the other hand, linuxguru recommends 18v for 4ohm, so i'm kinda torn on which one to go for.. :/

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I'm having problems finding the BC639 & BC640 devices in the UK.Not available fron Farnell withouy paying a premium for sending over fron the United States.Does anyone have some spares to sell and possibly a couple of the 390R Rikens.Would Amtrans be a possible substitute for the Rikens?TIA

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.