My version of an Ultrasonic Record Cleaner

bbftx thanks for the graph repost. I had seen it, but my mind fixated on suddenly reading people were finding units running above 60 khz & some dual frequency units, which I suspected existed, but hadn't read about until this AM. And regardless of what I'd like to see (a cure-all) I do appreciate you're saying that's not very realistic - regardless of how some commercial marketing materials. esis you do make a good point, in that even if some particulate does re-deposit, they've basically been cleaned too & will now be on the record surface, so removal shouldn't be difficult.

diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
DIY Audio Members;
I received a message this morning that someone tried to access the Vibrato account more than five times then was locked out for failing to guess the password.
The IP address is 216.17.110.252 , which is anonymous but listed as a "comment spammer", harvester, etc.
Please be aware, as our company website was hijacked before by someone in China.

Thanks for your patience and continued support!
Louis Steele
Vibrato, LLC.
Someone tried to hack my password too a while back---to what end I have no idea.

And people wonder why I won't allow my design work to be on a cloud server! It is bad enough to do our work on our personal computers and attempt to protect our IP, it is such a problem. I feel for anyone out there who is having to deal with this. we are being bombarded with high level code breakers, we need better encryption and no more back doors.

diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
And people wonder why I won't allow my design work to be on a cloud server! It is bad enough to do our work on our personal computers and attempt to protect our IP, it is such a problem. I feel for anyone out there who is having to deal with this. we are being bombarded with high level code breakers, we need better encryption and no more back doors.
I have a dedicated XP machine for running simulations and the Audio Precision. Once in a million years when the other one hooked to the web is down, I may access email from the first one, but generally it's not ever connected to the web. Once in a while I transfer some files via USB sticks, so there is still a possibility of infection.

But odd things do happen. I noticed the other day that all of the EDN email letters have disappeared, and Electronic Design flagged a comment I made, a completely innocuous one I thought, as spam. One does not know.

Brad,
I have been fighting the last couple of days to get my old Clio system to operate, it only works up to an XP system. I kept an old server machine to run this hardware and that is giving me trouble so I and my brother spent yesterday making another computer operate with a dual boot Xp & Win7 install. Talking about a pain, the roadblocks are so many. It is running but I am still having difficulties getting the Clio system and driver to operate correctly. Today will be another day of messing with the system. Working as hard as some of us do to create something is hard enough, having to protect ourselves from Hackers and thieves is another problem we all don't need. It is amazing how ill informed the public is about how wide open all of what they think is private really is exposed. Not to mention the crazy stuff people put up on social media.

DIY Audio Members;
I received a message this morning that someone tried to access the Vibrato account more than five times then was locked out for failing to guess the password.
The IP address is 216.17.110.252 , which is anonymous but listed as a "comment spammer", harvester, etc.
Please be aware, as our company website was hijacked before by someone in China.

I also want to apologize for the limited availability of our ultrasonics. We are continually focusing on making a better product. We experienced problems with shipping damage, which was overcome by double-boxing our cleaners. Recently, there was some people experiencing leaks around the tank, which also has been resolved with better sealing techniques.
We also have experimented with aluminum housing to replace the plastic enclosures. We failed to measure correctly, account for board space and odd software presets, which means we have two sets of expensive scrap metal in our shop.
We hope to have a corrected aluminum cad file soon, and samples will be purchased. If all goes well, we will make them available as soon as possible.

Thanks for your patience and continued support!
Louis Steele
Vibrato, LLC.

Thank you for the update Louis.

Here is my Vibrato, recently transplanted to the Aluminium enclosure.

IMG_20150730_130432926_zps0gowfrcl.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

New commercial offerings

For inspiration, I recently ran into this as a Chinese company is finally reacting to the ultrasonic cleaning trend. The Amari RW800 - single USonic cleaner with double sided vacuum attachment. Given past precedent, this unit as well as their unapologetic Audiodesk clone may be rebadged for US distribution by Music Hall, Consonance or Hanss, etc.

RW-800 Vinyl Record Cleaner

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Yeah, that front panel does look curiously similar to the Opera Consonance. And for $923 USD (for the 220V-240V, since there's no 110-120V model) is certainly curious, and a hell of a lot closer to feasible for people than $4k for the other pro models. Hopefully someone with some guts, spare cash, and analytical approach without the conflict of interest that most pro reviewers seem to have can give that thing a try and report back.

dedicated computer, also XP

I have a dedicated XP machine for running simulations and the Audio Precision...

Hi there b: I also dedicated a XP computer and it runs without constant MS updates killing performance, and no outside interference (spam, bam, whatever). The down side is inability to run HR's latest offerings, unless you take a chance on getting a sick computer by connecting to the net. ...regards, Michael

diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
VibratoLLC Louis, do your systems have sweep built in, or are both units running at the fixed KHz? I've heard sweep, moving a bit above and below the transducer's rated Khz provides some cleaning benefits in some applications. Whether it's beneficial when cleaning records, I have no idea.
I'd expect this would help, no data however.

Folks,
Sweep circuits were designed with the idea of varying the location of standing waves and the location of the most intense cavitation (cleaning action) in an ultrasonic tank. They are rather ineffective, as the frequencies aren't varied much, and therefore the standing wave locations don't move much. Since most ultrasonic cleaner designs for LPs have the LP moving through the bath, there is absolutely no need or benefit to incorporating a sweep circuit in an ultrasonic record cleaner.
Zenith Ultrasonics gives a very rational explanation here of sweep circuits.
Zenith: Sweep Circuits in Ultrasonic Cleaners

Sweep circuits have nothing to do with resonant frequency of contaminants. Cleaning is accomplished by cavitation, not resonance of the dirt or the item being cleaned.

Cheers,
B B