My UcD adventure

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
In this particular case, no level of voodoo would have helped because the basics of enginneering were misunderstood (ignored), and the ground was being defined by the leakage current of the capacitors alone, making for some truly ugly/unstable rails, at about half the voltage, or in another case twice the expected voltage. You could have tried gold bolts, teflon bolts, dancing bolts, popped the LED's off, removed the faston's.. it wasn't going to work man!
Then you have others who'd voice their opinions and prefer me to sit idly by and watch all this happen while I know better, because I don't know why, they appreciate the mystical aspect of things I guess, but engineering first, please, when you have the basics down, do whatever you like, and good for you. Don't people like Nathan here, you, me, sniff *wipes tear* EVERYBODY.. deserve sound engineering advice over the usual babble that I thought we all came here to escape from? I still think so.
So I get a little passionate at times about these things, call it whatever, I gotta be me, and it's not a popularity contest that's going to make the amp sing, if being blunt and to the point gets me a fan club of three.... right on.

LOL :D :D

Yeah, this style is way better! You are very good at it!

Just to be clear... of course we never recommended voodoo before getting the wiring and configuration basics OK ;) We agree here.
ERS can block your cell-phone interference but also can kill all the fun if missplaced. I think shielded cable is less harmfull here.

Hm, nice schematic Maxlorenz, no kidding,

Is it aprouved then?? I was sweating when I first powered it on, through my second hand variac :(
Thanks to you and Portlandmike who pushed me to it ;)

Enough.
Best regards to all.
M

maxlorenz said:

LOL :D :D

Yeah, this style is way better! You are very good at it!

Just to be clear... of course we never recommended voodoo before getting the wiring and configuration basics OK ;) We agree here.
ERS can block your cell-phone interference but also can kill all the fun if missplaced. I think shielded cable is less harmfull here.

Is it aprouved then?? I was sweating when I first powered it on, through my second hand variac :(
Thanks to you and Portlandmike who pushed me to it ;)

Enough.
Best regards to all.
M

I have my moments ..... give or take. :) Honestly I'll try to keep it "light", but then, I always do (seriously :eek: )

Sweating when you powered it on, fun ain't it? I love that part the most. The ol' DIY rush. Yeaaah.

maxlorenz said:

A prayer always help ;)

Sincerelly yours...
Mauricio

:confused: I kneeeew it would happen again sooner than later lol

..... personally I'd prefer to double and triple check the circuit against the schematic, then I hook up the meter, light bulb in series (maybe not if I feel like living on the edge) slap on the safety glasses, stand way back and plug the sucker in for a second, see what jumps if anything , wait for smoke, take measurements... If all is good, connect modules and do it again!

Wipe brow as required.

With all that work I have no time for praying.

Hey all,

Tis all good, we live and learn. I managed to get hold of Chris off the forums, and I have a plan of attack :) It will be back bigger and badder than ever.

As for the first post, the amp wasn't wired backwards, it was wired in a dual bridge design, yet far from ideal because it wasn't floating and the layout sucked the proverbial :p

If my caps are well and truly rooted, it just gives me a chance to replace them later on with something better. In the grand scheme of the amp, they didn't owe me much. I'll be able to nab a bank of caps from another amp which name shall be left anonymous until I decide on what to do.

I've gotten myself some new wiring for a couple of bits, a couple of new tools and a new vision of how I'm going to do it. I've got some time this arvo, so it shouldn't take me too long to knock something up. The ERS is gone, being replaced with some shielded microphone cable, and the caps aren't anywhere near in the same proximity to them.

Fingers crossed now i've checked my HTPC's soundcard that all is good, because it never sounded the same afterwards :p

Ah well. I will keep you all posted.

Cheers,
Nathan

She's back, bigger than badder than ever, and with some new caps. Big thanks to Chris and his persistent nagging me to finish it so I could tell him what it was like :p

It's a major improvement over what I had before, that I was a bit surprised to be able to pick straight off the bat in my little room.

Here is the new layout:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

We have shielded coax cable for the AC input wiring, the rectifiers have been moved to the middle in a dual bridge, the caps are from a NuForce9 Reference, 2x12000uF per channel, the modules are now standing on modified heatsinks with extra holes drilled in the case for ventilation. Signal wiring is catered for with shielded microphone cabling and speaker wiring is a twisted pair of Cardas.

She sounds greatly improved, much better resolution of minor details, and much tighter bass.

Overall, very happy :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.