My troublesome Bride of Zen

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Before I rip her apart I have to ask is this bride fixable:

I have checked the PS...it makes a good 59.5VDC

But...when I hook up the rest of my BOZ the voltages get screwy - the 20+ figure of the schematic is the only one I hit. Voltage that should be 8+ is 2.5+ and the 15+ is also 2.5+

Also the PS drops and holds at 35VDC

I have been over and over and over they layout, connections/polarity, insulation...I can't find an error. Is it possible one of my active devices has failed?

Attachments

• bride of zen preamp sch.pdf
    94.6 KB · Views: 165
my bride is showing

I don't know how informative these pics can be.

Yes, I suspect my own breadboarding but I have gone over this thing five ways from Sunday and follows the schematic.

Unless...

I have in two places brought leads together in a single point but only where all the normal connections would be along a single trace. If this is a no-no, I am guilty.

At least I have tried to implement the super skinny lead wire on the input RCA's :spin:

Attachments

• top side BOZ.jpg
    top side BOZ.jpg
    779.4 KB · Views: 374
  • underside BOZ.jpg
    underside BOZ.jpg
    924.2 KB · Views: 366
  • RCA BOZ.jpg
    RCA BOZ.jpg
    409.1 KB · Views: 332
I have added some graphics to assist...

The red circles are the 10uF/100 and the black are the 1000uf caps. I only indicated one side's 1uf and 10 uF non polar caps. Hopefully you see no errors or I'll feel a fool...

Attachments

• under BOZ w graphics.jpg
    under BOZ w graphics.jpg
    689.4 KB · Views: 339
Yes sir! I played the unit for a few hours last night. The heat sinks on the IRF610 and the 5W1K resistor were A-OK; I tried to give them plenty of air space.

The BOZ is a little miracle. I don't know why but even at seemingly identical volume levels to the DAC straight into my Aleph J...with the BOZ the sound is now sweeter and for sure I can get to higher SPLs now driving KEF 104/2 speakers. The sound is a bit fuller and bass is improved. It could be some kind of filtering I guess as I have added devices to the circuit but it is a happy thing in my case. Many thanks!

BOZ-J?

vdi-nenna,

I have not heard of the BOZ-J. May I assume it remains a single stage preamp (using a JFET instead of a MOSFET)?

I have seen a piece of thread by you saying you have sold your BOSOZ and your BOZ? Do you use a BOZ-J now?

I am all ears ;-0

Hey vdi_nenna,

I found the thread last night so only got 25 pages in. I am hoping to find some resolution amongst the participants as to resistor values and power supply...

You bet I'll give it a try! I'm just contemplating where to get the materials and from whom.

Thanks for the leg up! May I PM you when I am done reading if I have specific unanswered questions?:eek:

Joined 2000
Paid Member
May I PM you when I am done reading if I have specific unanswered questions?
Yeah, no problem. There are some specifics on getting the best sound from it, but it so not complicated. If you like point-to-point (p2p) wiring, this is an easy project. I run this p2p and I don't like p2p only because it takes so long. BOZ-J is too easy. :)

From what I remember, 16v is a recommended power supply (PS) for this project with a 22 ohm source resistor. Double check that please.
Go with at least a 337/317 or LT1033/1085 regulated PS. Even better, Jan Didden has put together a super regulator board for sale in the store. Worth checking out.
You might even want to redesign the BOZ power supply to the correct voltage by using the correct amount of zener diodes. Your oyster.

I used dual LM317/337 PS- two +16/-16 for mine. Might be over kill, but it helps. One of the best tips I ever got was to use higher than normal VA ratings on preamp transformers (a la John Curl). Don't go too crazy, but if it requires 100mA, just get 1A transformer or better. Just be sure it fits in the case and you fuse it correctly. ;)

More importantly, try to enjoy what you have right now. It easy to get caught up in building the next great thing and never enjoy the music.

:cheers:

Vince

Last edited:
Thanks!

I am still reading just to pay my respects to all in that JBOZ thread.

Step one (beyond the research) is finding the right JFET. DIYaudio store only has high Idss grade "C" unmatched...

I think I am going to go batt power :) but one day will try that Jan Didden super regulator. I have SO much to learn...and those JFETs to procure.

Cheers!

PS Yes I am pretty sure at page 80 of 120...that I am going to start with those numbers you recall: +16V and source resistor 22R. I might even learn how to play with them :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.