My Transistors, original or copy?

Hi,
question about BC54... and BC55.... series made by Philips
I was sure , all BC series small transistors made by Philips got silver face plate with black letter marking , but lately faced with

BC549B transistors ( supplier claim it genuine Philips ) which are completely different means:
- no silver front paint
- smaller plastic package ( pictures attached)

Any experience how should original Philips small transistors BC54.. and BC55... series look like??

Attachments

• BC548B_philips.jpg
    BC548B_philips.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 487
  • BC549B_Philips.jpg
    BC549B_Philips.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 458
Don't feel bad. A good technician never gets stuck on a tough problem, it's always the easy ones ... Years of observation.

I'm surprised that reverse connected capacitors caused that problem, not unless they do have voltage across them. I'm just glad you got it working.

-Chris
I was going to say I will raise the BS flag on this. How ever that would be
no correct. So...What to call the flag. Maybe the Moron :forbiddn:. Yes I am
quite aware of the problems with calling it that.

One example, Trying to get the Shiba725 on for a quick test. The power button failure. Great. Check the back of unit plugged in. Getting ready to
pull everything to disassemble and inspect. Well after I did that I saw that
I forget to plug it in into the isolation transformer. MORON :forbiddn:. That will
work it just means no one else can say it now that it's been said. :)_

huayi-components is selling Enhancement MOSFETS relabeled as LU1014D. Reading the latest feedback from other customers I see other fakes were sold as well. Does anyone know how to report them to eBay so that they will be banned? Does anyone know how to create a personal blacklist on eBay? Thanks!

Hi,
I was sure , all BC series small transistors made by Philips got silver face plate with black letter marking , but lately faced with

BC549B transistors ( supplier claim it genuine Philips ) which are completely different means:
- no silver front paint

Any experience how should original Philips small transistors BC54.. and BC55... series look like??
You should consult the data sheet from NXP which they are called these days.

Got a refund, and raised a Fraud complaint. No answers yet.
Thanks, Andrew!
That was quick.
Did they reimburse your postage costs?
Did they insist on you returning the fraudulent product at your cost?

Unfair Terms and Conditions (imposed by the Seller) should never be upheld when the product does not meet advertised quality.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi metallicus69,
Make certain you destroy all those parts! Make sure they don't end up in one of your projects, or anyone else's.

When I get fakes, I use a 4 1/2 pound sledge hammer and tap them all to death - which is physical disassociation in this case. :) It's therapeutic.

-Chris

I do have a problem to recognize manufacturer of the BC549C transistor

"H." would suggest HARRIS , but did they ever manufactured BC5... small signal transistors ??:confused:

On the other hand, marking text is laser trimmed :bigeyes:, so I doubt someone would use such way of labeling for fake transistors.

The seller claims those are very old genuine Philips BC549 series

Does someone know , which producer trimmed with laser marking of the BC5.... small signal transistors ??

Attachments

• BC549C_unknown_brand.jpg
    BC549C_unknown_brand.jpg
    302.7 KB · Views: 512
Absolutely not Philips or TI ... their transistors put a moulding depressed dot on the printed surface. The face would be absolutely smooth and the identification would be printed. On the back is commonly a 2 or 3 stripe coloured paint code indicating the gain group and type (used by TI and Philips (Mullard). I have very old Philips transistors and they ain't nuthin' like that!

That transistor looks like it has a ground face prior to laser etching. The BCxx9 series transistors are not cheap compared with some of junk GP transistors.

Test its characteristics ... Gain will probably be the major giveaway that all is not normal.

I do have a problem to recognize manufacturer of the BC549C transistor

"H." would suggest HARRIS , but did they ever manufactured BC5... small signal transistors ??:confused:

On the other hand, marking text is laser trimmed :bigeyes:, so I doubt someone would use such way of labeling for fake transistors.

The seller claims those are very old genuine Philips BC549 series

Does someone know , which producer trimmed with laser marking of the BC5.... small signal transistors ??

The letter 'H' stands for "Hi-Sincerity Microelectronics Corp". Hope this helps.

Hi,

- no silver front paint

hi,

they both are genuine philips
the later one without silver facing is from 90's

regards
ravs

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I just got two lots of 2SA970 and 2SC2240 from two different Ebay vendors that are laser etched, and both are totally fake. One is easy as the gain range codes aren't right (not even close). The second set had all the right labels (they are learning). Fakes though. You can see around the edges where face was sanded or filed down. Then the laser etching (which Toshiba never used) that was way too fine. All of these had gains around 225 (for BL, really?), so I think the source transistors are the same. I have a third set coming that are supposed to be correct. The pictures look right at least.

What did I do with the fakes you ask? Nothing, they had to go into the garbage. I cut all the leads off on the first order. The second were discarded. You cannot allow fake or used transistors to sit around your work area, or they will get into your projects for sure. Don't even use them for non-critical uses as years later they will be mistaken for the real deal.

-Chris

I just got two lots of 2SA970 and 2SC2240 from two different Ebay vendors that are laser etched, and both are totally fake. One is easy as the gain range codes aren't right (not even close). The second set had all the right labels (they are learning). Fakes though. You can see around the edges where face was sanded or filed down. Then the laser etching (which Toshiba never used) that was way too fine. All of these had gains around 225 (for BL, really?), so I think the source transistors are the same. I have a third set coming that are supposed to be correct. The pictures look right at least.

What did I do with the fakes you ask? Nothing, they had to go into the garbage. I cut all the leads off on the first order. The second were discarded. You cannot allow fake or used transistors to sit around your work area, or they will get into your projects for sure. Don't even use them for non-critical uses as years later they will be mistaken for the real deal.

-Chris

I too have been duped by fakes from china, 6821 pia chips. Being around this stuff for so long you can tell something aint right. In this case the sheen / textures of the face was not "normal" then look at the bottome or other side and it not the same. the corner varies slightly like when you sand of a corner of wood and it had slight deviations there. Ill post a pic.

Filed a claim through ebay and got my money back! Not a word from the seller. Its sad but my disgust for the chinese grows daily. Dont get me started on fake batteries! :mad: