My Tempest is playing!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My Adire Tempest is finally finished! I built the "EBS" design from their website and so far, the results are great. The EBS design is 24" X 24" X 44" with two 4" diameter X nearly 20" long ports. This thing is HUGE! The box is 12 cubic feet and it's tuned to 16Hz. This evening, I discovered some "new" notes on some of my pipe organ cds!

Upon seeing the new sub, my housemates only comment was "That's the ugliest thing that you have ever made!" Shes correct of course. I covered it with a decorative blanket so it's kind of hidden. So far the sound is fabulous. Couldn't be happier!
Nate

Like my housemate said "the ugliest thing that I have ever built"

I plan to build a table (one of these days) that contains this sub. Right now, I'm just fooling around with the design.

Attachments

• tempest1.jpg
    tempest1.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 549
There are a couple reasons. The first is that I don't like the "tower" look. I have plenty of floor space, so laying it flat is not an issue. If memory serves, Adire's site says that with the downfiring configuration you can get a bit more xmax. I'm not too concerned about this as when the tempest is running at 1/2" p-p it is far too loud, but still totally undistorted, for my ears. The last, and most important reason for me, is that I don't like the sound of downfiring subs. I've heard a couple and I just prefer front firing subs. The only downfiring sub that I really liked was the old JMLab Sub Utopia II. That sub was incredible.
Nate

Yes, it's carbon fiber. The cabinet is two layers of 3/4" baltic birch ply with two layers of fiberglass and then one layer of cabon fiber. I purchased it locally at a fisheries supply house for about $7 per foot. I bought about $60-70 worth and I still have quite a bit left. I used West Systems clearcoat epoxy. Great stuff. The baffle also two layers fo 3/4" birch ply and is capped with 1/8" thick bookmatched cocobolo veneer that I cut on my band saw. The dust is quite unpleasant!

Nate

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.