My simple class a approach

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
As measured the lower output trans supplies about 2/3 of the total ac current through the load. At full output with 1.5 amps through the load, about 1 amp flows from the collector of the lower trans to the load and 500 milliamps from the emitter of the top trans. So what am I missing about how the output works :confused:

Some screens of the sim on this circuit.
First the fft analysis with phase.

Attachments

• screenhunter_001.gif
    screenhunter_001.gif
    88.2 KB · Views: 885
This is a measure of dc bias, dc average, and the ac current from the lower output trans. Notice that with perfect match transistors the lower trans supplies nearly all the ac current as will be evidenced by the next 2 pics.

Attachments

• screenhunter_002.gif
    screenhunter_002.gif
    65.8 KB · Views: 627
Saw the bootstrapping on your sim and checked it out. Seems that bootstrapping equals the ac current from both to push pull output. Will have to mod one of my circuits to try it out.

By the way, I am using the models from On Semi website in my sims. The actuall outputs I,m using are mje3055t's.

Modified one of my built circuits with a bootstrap. It still sounds very good but seems to have lost some of that wonderful sparkle in the treble the other circuit has. Although it is only a minmal loss it may be a good trade off for a more consistant bias.

oops typo on the schematic, 200k resistor should still be 100k.

Attachments

• jlw bootstrap.jpg
    jlw bootstrap.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 698
Anyways.. you should really read Rod Elliots commented article about the JHL 10Watt Class A amp.. it helps to get a good understanding of the topology..

meanwhile I have attached a variation that not only has no negative (loop-) feedback.. but also solves the idle Vout setting..

regards, Thijs

Attachments

• simple3trans_amp.jpg
    simple3trans_amp.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 702
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.