My silly speaker questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Wow, ive done it again. My apologies.

The kit page only shows the impedance of the crossover, which is 15 ohms.
After searching the site more thoroughly and checking the speakers themselves, the bass unit is rated 50W and 8ohms, the tweeter is rated 100W and 8ohms.

Im finding this rather confusing (and quite probably not helping myself) which is it that matters in the above?

Wow, ive done it again. My apologies.

The kit page only shows the impedance of the crossover, which is 15 ohms.
After searching the site more thoroughly and checking the speakers themselves, the bass unit is rated 50W and 8ohms, the tweeter is rated 100W and 8ohms.

Im finding this rather confusing (and quite probably not helping myself) which is it that matters in the above?

PLEASE! contact Falcon and tell them what you are planning to do - particularly with your valve amp plans. They will advise you.

PLEASE! contact Falcon and tell them what you are planning to do - particularly with your valve amp plans. They will advise you.

I think that may be best as i see they have subs based on that system too.

Id like to thank everyone for their help thus far!!!

And speakerdoctor, if falcon say everythings suitable i think they should be thanking you for the better part of a £2k sale tomorrow :)

Regards
Jim

You are most welcome. I found out about Falcon via the Yahoo.com LS3/5a group. If you go thru with a purchase, you should consider joining that group. There are a number of LS3/5a lovers there who would love to about what you are planning and off a lot of free advice. A few of them may have already gotten kits from Falcon.

Visit this site also for more info about the LS3/5a's. The Unofficial LS3/5A Support Site

Rewarding? Are you kidding me?

I spend more on this than liquor, hookers and drugs combined. I've noticed the return on the investment is pretty much the same. How can this be called rewarding? Just because I saved some bucks on parts? Count up the hours and translate it to savings. Savings, what savings? (thanks Supertramp)

This is, and always will be, an addiction, nothing more.

My name is Cal and I am a Speakerholic.

Jim, I wish this project well. Keep us abreast. Audioholics need to stick together.

:)

Ok. Bit of an update.

Ive phoned falcon acoustics, man their customer service is brilliant :)
The incredibly nice gentleman spoke at length answering every question i could think of :)

He has told me that as much as hed love to sell me 5 kits of speakers he couldnt in good conscience let the sale take place.
Class D will struggle greatly with them, although valves would manage.

Looks like itll be the fusion 8's

Cal has mentioned that the M-T-M speakers are a bit gimmicky.
Does anyone else feel this way?

Yes, MTM can work, but only with very small mid-bass drivers, a small tweeter, and even then a lowish xover point. Otherwise, you get a very small vertical listening window. The reason is that the two M's will interfere at higher frequencies, if their centres are spaced too far apart.

I think you got good advice, except for the Class D part. As long as the speaker impedance is not to high, you will be astonished by what even a small Class D amp can deliver.

ps. good that you asked advice and now have come to a point where you can order. Please keep us posted on progress.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.