My Rare bird has arrived.. say hello to my little friend!! (56k warning!)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
MatthewS said:

Wanna sell it? I was considering using a center channel in my next install.. would be neat to have matched products like that from the old days.

I have a 87 vette I was going to do a SQL install in and am seriously considering keeping this one. I was going to flush the amps anyways and use forced cooling in the panel gap so heat wouldn't be a big deal. The design should yield rated power, albeit low. But I was going to use all four channels on front stage, which was going to be split between the dash and door areas because the kicks in that car are virtually undoable (barely enough foot space as it is)

Doing this allows me independant control of each area and EQ control between the dash and doors, so it should be a tweakers paradise for me. I hooked it up and it has TONS of boost/cut in the EQ and sounds really flat when everything is centered. I reall liked some of the things they done with the design, and hey! I got PLENTY of tip35/36c pairs in the bin ;)

I think it'll be a sweetheart in the application I'm contemplating.. anything other then the negatives you listed I'd care to know? Have an old manual laying around for it? :D

- Matt

You, like most "Old School" collectors are not type of customer that's going to blow up this amp. I can pretty much guarantee it.

No, I don't have a manual...but audiocontrol has it FOR SALE on their website. No clue why they can't or won't scan it into a PDF.

http://www.mobileaudiocontrol.com/product.asp?Product_id=228095

Envision:
I think brand recognition for Audio Control wasn't in the amplifier business - and they had no presence in the competition circuit except for signal processing. It was confusing to many people!

Makes sense, especially when there were so many proven amps already on the market. Many folks serious enough to spend that kind of dough want to pick and choose items individually for their merit.

Envision again:
Something about lack of heatsinking and using a pair of TO-220 parts at 2 ohms comes to mind as a very bad idea...

Yeparoo, even if they're TO-218's :D

So, do ya'll think an item similar to this would be valid in any segment of today's market?

MatthewS:
I have a 87 vette I was going to do a SQL install in and am seriously considering keeping this one.

Keep us posted of progress? I don't know about everyone else, but I think we have room for a few more system projects and pics in here.

tsmith1315 said:

So, do ya'll think an item similar to this would be valid in any segment of today's market?

I'm not sure considering the advancement in on board signal processing decks are capable nowadays. I don't prefer any additional external components if it can be done in the same unit without adding any additional noise or distortion. Some people do like knobs to play with though. :smash:

I always liked having the crossover in front, I fiddle with it all the time. But have a new DSP HU to put in now and not sure how I will like it, since it will be too complicated to do much adjustment on the run. For that reason I was never interested in an amp or any other trunk mount EQ/crossover. Do like the idea of having it in the HU, simple and less chance of noise/etc.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.