My Polished Aluminum & Marble GC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thought i would share some pics of my first gainclone.

I thought about alot of chasis designs from looking at various galleries and then came up with this. I hadnt seen much highly polished metal in the designes and came up with the marble idea after i did some stone work on my fireplace.

Im real happy with the aesthetic results and sounds good so far but have yet to really evaluate it.

Thanks to Brian for the kit.

Attachments

• front angle.jpg
    front angle.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 2,299
It's a very pretty amp, very good work!

the less aluminium the better. ever heard of a great musical instrument made of aluminium

Yes, you can have good vibraphones made out of aluminium. And the strings of violins are often made out of alu.

And there are still instruments, made of marple:

marble violin

And they write, the sound is good!

BTW: amps are not instruments, isn't it?

Franz

Thanks for the positive feedback Guys.

Jennice- most of metal work is drilled, tapped then bolted. I did use black silicone to hold the side marble in place. The silicone will allow for expansion contraction the frame relative to stone. The top marble plate is just dropped onto place for access. Epoxy on the knob

Ill post a picture of the inside later today.

As far as lid on/off - ive seen people discuss this I haven’t formed and opinion.
It would seem to me that it would be more of an issue with metal lids. I believe possible effects would be worse with Iron>steel>aluminum>stone>wood. I can rationalize that ferromagnetic (iron, nickel, cobalt) materials in close proximity to the torroid like the torroid hanger and the especially the through bolt could have negative effects. But im inclined to think disruptions in the field of the torroid from paramagnetic (Aluminum) and diamagnetic (wood, most stone) material would be minor and negligible respectively. But im going on my science background not listening experience.

It turns out that base plate of my chassis has a hole under the torroid so it is kind of bottomless.

analog_sa it will be easy to test.

i thought removing the lid had something to do with the torroid but long time since i saw those posts.

so you are saying that the whole amp acts as a the helmholtz resonator? If so then the hole helps because it is likely to effect the ability of the volume of air in my chasiss to resonate at its Helmholtz frequency, right?

For polishing Mothers Mag and Wheel polish (local auto parts) was used on the 3/8" aluminum after successively finer sandings. It turns out Marble is pretty cheap this was $5.00 a square ft. and after cutting and sanding can be polished to like the knob and feet.

Attachments

• insidebot.jpg
    insidebot.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 1,029
now, this is the difference between a 17 year old and what ever age you are. i will have to make the claim that my amp sound better than the brian gt kit, but lying in a pile on top of my casette player, it doesn't do it with a split fraction of the style your's has.

very nice work.
regards
marius

gearheaddruid, Thanks but no plans like that currently at least. I wanted to try a project i was reasonable sure i could get to work properly. Two things stop me from doing more elaborate electronic projects 1. Time i want to be able to get it right without chasing problems or recreating the wheel to do it since my knowledge is limited.
2. i dont have golden ears so i dont think i will get the sonic payoff that some do so im not willing to invest the time.

I must admit that i can only hear very little difference between this amp and my Marantz HTR-5790 av reciever when usinng the same source and playing a/b though two sets of (small) identical speakers stacked- pic. maybe if i used my larger mains the differece in lows would be more apparent and ill try this but it isnt as easy to quickly a/b.
so so far i am impressed with the sound quality.

sardonx, The marble was from a local tile shop. I just purchased two sample pieces for this project. There is a rediculous selection of granite and marble out there to choose from for projects.

Attachments

• speaks.jpg
    speaks.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 686
Tobias -- thanks alot that is a big compliment as many people are making real nice stuff.

The marble is not to bad to work with. I have a A $45 tile saw i use that i bought for home improvement. I did chamfer and polish the edges after cutting. Im proud of the knob i wasnt soure i would be able to make it come out right. I actually used a 5 Kroner coin as a guide and scored a circle around it, rough cut it on the saw just nipping away then used a bench top disk sander to round it out, more sanding and then polished by hand with the aluminum polish. i probably spent about 2 hours on it.

Granite is more difficult to polish. It is much harder than marble and destroys sandpaper quickly. But some granite cuts very nice with very little chipping so minimal edge cleanup is needed.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.