My passive pre is finally done

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I can't believe how much I like the end result of my pre-amp project. The TX-102 silver's are just amazing. The rest of my system will be forever playing catch up.

In case you are interested here are the features.

TX-102 silver transformers. 24 position Seiden switch. 6 position Seiden input switches. Six RCA inputs. One XLR input. All the internal silver wire is insulated by oversized cotton. The outputs are hard wired. The front is hand hammered silver. The case is purpleheart. The top and bottom are Corian. The knobs are birds eye maple. The transformers and selector switches are isolated by suspending them from the top. The interior is fully lined in copper. It doesn't photograph well with my cheap digital cam. The little box on top is a remote receiver.
Now on to rebuild the amps to match.

Attachments

• mvc-035s.jpg
    mvc-035s.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 1,379
This shows the pre upside down with the bottom off (everything is mounted to the top) right before the teflon tubing was removed and replaced with cotton dialectric. After I replaced the teflon with the cotton you can't see anything in there.

Attachments

• mvc-888s.jpg
    mvc-888s.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 1,106
Peter I`m kinda disappointed at you saying that someone is "finally serious on construction".......there have been many projects that have been constructed and exibited on this forum that are better than anything you can buy off the shelf.

Tom I love the looks of your project...But....your wiring is a rats nest...sorry to critigue that aspect of it....other than that you did some nice work and I hope it sounds as good as it looks;)

Cheers!!The DIRT®

Absolutely splendid!!! I have been underwhelmed with the copper version for some time now; guess the silver is a big step up but not a chance i'll take the risk without first hearing.

...But....your wiring is a rats nest...sorry to critigue that aspect of it....

I really disagree. This is a state-of -the art audio component and not an exhibition piece from the agricultural show. The purpose of the wiring is to be as short as possible, with as few as possible solder joints, no wire 'extensions' on the TVC wiring and as little parallel running wires as possible.
The attention to detail is really impressive.

cheers
peter

Dave
The amps are Consonance M500's...AKA Billie's. I built them from a kit. The 300b's are TJ mesh gold's. The Mullard’s are GZ37's. The Valvos are 6SL7's.
The amps have been modified quite a bit so far but the big stuff has to wait till I build the new cases.
I'm going to separate the power supplies for a total of four chassis. They will be similar in style to the pre.
As far as sources goes. I will use a Sony DVD player, modified Sony CE775 SACD player, Sony vcr, Modified Empire 208 table, and an onkyo T-4055 tuner. That allows some room for growth.

I am replying to analog (peter) not to argue but I was just observing the picture and I know what you are saying about it and I thought about it...... being signal wiring all together is not an issue.............and Peter Daniel I was also referring to your projects also which I have great respect for thats all.

DIRT®

Peter Daniel said:
Even my projects were not really of that caliber. This is again, some serious stuff and I yet, have to built something like that;)

I mean, it's not about complexity, but about attention to detail.

Peter
This is high praise indeed coming from you. I'm not sure it's deserved but it is very appreciated.

planet10 said:

What modifications?

The case has been lined in various dampening materials (Mortite, copper, and bituminous sheet. The opamps are new. The muting transistors are gone. The output jacks are bypassed. New diodes. An extra transformer and power supply work is on the list, but this player may never be good enough to stay in the system so it's a practice machine.

That a real classic over-acheiver... in good tune one of those is hard to beat. Next one i see i probably buy.

Shhh! don't tell people that one of the best under $1,000 tuners goes regularly on ebay for $50-$100.

Have you got good radio to listen too?

dave

I am at a loss as to why but radio programming and reception in the north-east is really bad.
I would have thought the having the Atlantic ocean as a front yard would help me with reception but...
It does keep the desire to find a nice REL Precedent to replace the Onkyo with, at bay.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.