My open baffle dipole with Beyma TPL-150

Impulse response:
The small peak at 8 ms is the remains of the floor bounce.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Phase response, smoothed for clarity:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Linear Phase filters and EQ have some advantages, as you can see. :)

The low and top end rolls off below 20 Hz and above 20 Hz, which is the reason for the phase shifts at each end I guess.

Dont know why it shifts somewhat around 150 Hz. Tried to test different XO slopes and delay without much difference.

How about the step response stig. Your impulse response look like my horn.

I am just used to looking at impulses from passive cross speakers.
If one wants to avoid preringing it does help to use a system with minimal delay. :p Makes me curious what the IRs of eighth and twelfth order Duelunds look like after component tolerances; those would be the relevant comparisons to LR4 and LR6 linear phase digital crosses. Even implemented as an active state variable filter to get the outputs matched and passives down to 1% resistors and caps the Duelunds still sound a bit messy. And the biggest 1% cap I'm seeing is a 0.22uF C0G that's USD 4.50 each with a minimum order of 2000...

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
And now - measurement of the actual output of the XO and EQ! They are done at the DAC outputs.

Subwoofers. Serious amounts of EQ, no doubt! :eek: Also a bit of room correction EQ here and there.

Woofers. Also a lot of room correction EQ.

Midrange. Just some dipole EQ, and a small room correction EQ at 370 Hz.

Tweeter. A little correction at the top end, and not much more.

You know sometimes, when you open a thread and the first thing you see is a picture of something you really want to make yourself?
Well, after three days i have read all 95 pages and tons of posts in this thread :D
Fantastic work Stig Erik.
This setup you've got Stig Erik is way off limits for lots of us "regular" guys hehe, but the setup you and Lars built that he now has, looks to be within my budget and capabilities ;)

I got a tip about Acoustic Elegance Dipole drivers and after a post on their forum it seems that they are maybe going to do a setup with two Dipole15's, a Dipole6 and a RAAL tweeter some time (realtively) soon.
Low distortion and inductance on the AE drivers makes them very versatile it looks.
AE Speakers --- Superb Quality, Unforgettable Performance, Definitely.
I could never build something from scratch as i know very little theory, so I'll copy the best setup that fits in my budget and gets approved by my better half :cool:

I've got a long perspective and possibly I need to move to a new apartment before i can build my OB's.

Stig Erik,
Since you live only a two hours drive from Oslo I'll take you up on the invitation one day. I'm just afraid i won't be able to settle with my original plan and the size of it after a demo at your place heheh.

/Espen

Volume control

Hi,
sorry to shift the topic a little, but I would really like to know how you change the volume on your setup. I seem to remember from an earlier thread/posting that you used some simple midi controller to adjust the volume in console sound modular studio. I have been struggling with this for a couple of evenings now with no luck. Maybe you have moved on to another solution. Am I barking up the wrong tree here?

best regards,
Øyvin

And now - measurement of the actual output of the XO and EQ! They are done at the DAC outputs.

Tweeter. A little correction at the top end, and not much more.

Hi,
I just wondered if you use a calibrated mic? The correction above 10kHz looks a bit like the inverse of the curves in this document:
http://www.audioxpress.com/magsdirx/ax/addenda/media/danavaras2861.pdf

What kind of mic do you use by the way?
Øyvin

Stig

Great thread & great work:D

What do you drive all of those speakers with?

I'm running out of money on my build but still need to drive the 6 channels. The last thing I want to do is build the speakers & then drive them with crappy amps.

From what I have read & been told, a D class kit should suffice for the Bass drivers (Dipole15) But which one to use?

But I'm not sure what to drive the Neo10 & Neo 3 with.

I do have a Kingrex T amp that I could drive the Neo 3 with to cut down costs.

David

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
Class D is the obvious answer I think, although it might not be the cheapest alternative. Chips amps should be less expensive if you build them yourself.

I use a large stack of class D, that is ICEpower amps:

Tweeter and midrange: stereo 2x120W per side
Mid/woofers: stereo 2x120W per side (four drivers, two on each amp)
Subwoofers: stereo 2x1000W per side (four drivers, two on each amp)

In total I have twelwe amp channels....

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
I guess its only me who is doing volume control by midi - Stig Erik, AFAIK uses the remote control of his squeezebox
Maybe he moved to an other solution meanwhile

Michael
I did use MIDI before to remote control the volume on my RME Fireface. But nowadays I use the Squeezebox, and since its my only signal source theres no need for anything else. The Squeezebox (digital) volume control has 0.5 dB steps, and the range is 50 dB, which is more than I need.

Last edited:
Class D is the obvious answer I think, although it might not be the cheapest alternative. Chips amps should be less expensive if you build them yourself.

I use a large stack of class D, that is ICEpower amps:

Tweeter and midrange: stereo 2x120W per side
Mid/woofers: stereo 2x120W per side (four drivers, two on each amp)
Subwoofers: stereo 2x1000W per side (four drivers, two on each amp)

In total I have twelwe amp channels....

There are some ICEpower modules for sale at the moment but I cannot help wonder about there pedigree & I probably dont need 1000W per channel:D

I have read a lot of stuff that suggest D class is best left for the bass, but you obviously think there ok for the whole show.