My newest toy (in making)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was thinking I might use a dark stain and trace the internal walls on the front and back, then go over the entire box with a lighter stain and give it a satin finish. I hate painting wood unless its ugly and full of knots. I thought about trying to do a tabacco burst (guitar style) but I think that would just be WAY to much work for something this size

After studying many designs and playing with Akabak's visc settings I figured better safe then sorry since once the box is glued closed I can't get back in to add anything. After I made a pair of 12" TH enclosures I added some foam where I could to kill some resonance issues

I see. Personally i never saw the reason for this kind of damping in a pure bass speaker and especially in a horn, unless one adds it for the purpose of flow resistance of course. Be careful not to add to much, especially near the throat. What range will you use this one in?

//A

This thing is ridiculous! And HEAVY! filling cavities with concrete ain't happening. The woofer is barely moving and stuff all over the house is rattling and coming off the walls. I'm exhausted, Not sure when I'll get it outside to test it with this evil heat. Only thing I'd change at the moment is giving myself an extra 1/4" clearance for the woofer, it was a chore getting it into place. Glad I went with SS allen head bolts!

It must be a comfort thought that if you go on tearing down your house you still have the possibility to go live in a box…:D

Living-in-a-box.jpg

Nice! Hey here is an idea...you could fill the corner braces with crazy foam (window foam). Easy to do and would stiffing the corners.

Again, great looking project!

Fixing the ceiling won't be fun :-/

Made a little progress today. Along with a HUGE MESS! I used six 5 gallon paint buckets to weight the side I glued on today and one fell off somehow :confused: It just happened to be Smurf blue
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
and is all over the patio, luckily a neighbor heard me swearing :cuss: and had the idea to throw some quick-set cement :wave: on it to soak it up

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.