my new way to build a TML

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
here is a picture ov the X-over

I have used a 12mH coil and a 68µF capacitor.

it is just a first try without any soldering :cool:

Attachments

• start_07.jpg
    start_07.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 847
last update

Hi,

so now I have changed the positon from the FX-horn and my TML. Now the TML is playing alot deeper and with more control.

I have reduced (with success) the volume in the lower line to get a bit more details in the Bass.

cya Till

Attachments

• start_08.jpg
    start_08.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 878
the "normal" design is that you use the surface area [Sd] from the driver for the opening area [Am]. The staring area [Ah] from the TML is 1.5 ... 2.0 times larger.

Than you have the length [l] of the TML according do the resonace frequency.

With a 12" with 25Hz would that mean:

Ah: 810cm² (1.5x Sd)
Am: 539cm²
l: 3,58m

The complete volume of the TML would be 241ltr.

I started with the volume. I thought that a TML needs 1.5 ..1.6 times more volume than a normal BR. My driver needs 100ltr BR so the TML has got to be 150ltr.

The reso of the driver in 160ltr would be around 45Hz. I have placed the line frequency between the driver reso (25Hz) and the volume reso (45Hz) = 35Hz

Now I know that the line has got to be 2.75m long.
Ah is 1.6 times bigger than the Am.

Using the formulas I calculated how big Am and Ah will be.

The driver is just at 1/3 of the length like in a usual TML.

hope I could explain it to you.

cya Till

> Yes the the lower camber is to adsorption a frequency at 200Hz.
And where is the port ? I cant see anything on the pictures about this.
Otherwise it seemed to work really ?

> I will simulate the driver for you in a TML
Thank you very much ! I like this design, cause I wanted a similar
layout, cause I have also a fullrange what could go to the top.
Its a fostex fe-166.

New way to build a transmission line

Hi Roemhild, I received a copy of the spreadsheet. Thanks for that. Am playing with it a bit for now. I am interesed in how you calculated that lower chamber to reduce the resonance. I have started a thread on this but it seems to be missed. Could you help with this. How to calculate for the frequency and the volume to absorb a given peak? Do you have a spreadsheet on this.

I did follow your original article on the back loaded horns as well. I take it that you prefer this TL to the BLH?

I'm looking at Onken enclosures now also.
jamikl

Hi Cortez

I am still playing with this driver. It ain't an eazy one. But I haven't forgotten you.

Thanx for the great side you have posted.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Jamikl,

I sometimes use the tool from this side:

http://www.lautsprechershop.de/tools/index.htm?/tools/t_helmholtz.htm

To your question if I prefer BLH or TML I still have to say that a good build front loaded horn is still my personal favorite. If I have to choose between a BLH and a TML I can't say. Right now I am switching every day between these two speakers. It always depends what I am listening to.

1. reason for a BLH:
I don't think tat you could build a fullrange driver in a TML --> TML = 2way or 3way system

2. reason for a BLH:
You cam play better with the design for the horn as you can see it on the FX-horn or other great designs like Nelson Pass did it

http://www.passdiy.com/speakers.htm

1. reason for a TML:
The complete TML is a lot smaller than a BLH.

differenz between a TML and a BLH:
the bass of the BLH is a bit smoother. The bass from the TML is a bit more "natural".

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi soongsc,

as soona s I take the TML away from the wall I feelt that the bass is not as deep as it is at the wall. It isn't working that good.

How long is your TML? What driver have you taken? can you post some more details and maybe a picture?

cya Till

P.S. you don't have to name me Roemhild, my first name is Till
;)

Roemhild,

I'm working on a small speaker with short BLH. Designed to be placed back against a wall but seems to work quite okay if standing out a bit.

A local drive manufacturer was kind enough to try some modifications to meet my needs. Still some fine tuning going on in the upper frequency.

Here's a pic taken from a phone.

Attachments

• 62950010.jpg
    62950010.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 589
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.