My new Boss - another PI-HAT

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
2nd, thanks also to the piCorePlayer team for 3.20 Beta. Using that made finally trying out the Allo Boss an easy task... having the Boss driver included was critical, having GUI access to the driver's ALSA parms was great, being able to save those parms was super, and having the Audio-specific upgrades was a super bonusi

Greg, you should go ahead and upgrade to the released version of 3.20. The betas had a small Boss driver issue. That was fixed in the released version with 4.9.21 based kernel.

Hello all.

I am the happy owner of the Boss, but would love to try powering through the GPIO pins using an IFI ipower. Am I right in thinking that this should theoretically offer sonic improvements over using the ipower in the micro usb of the Pi? Does this affect the power conditioning circuit already on the Boss, or otherwise negate its design in any way? Has anyone tried this using an ipower?

If so, can anyone here offer me some advice on how to achieve this, given that I have very little electronics knowledge?!

A few questions I would really appreciate some pointers on, if possible:

1) Is it safe to use an ipower to power the Boss in this way, and will it backpower the Pi (5v, 2.5a)?

2) If so, is there such a thing as a DC to pin jumper adapter/connector that would take the male ipower connector (whichever of them that comes with the ipower unit, I think it comes with various options?) at one end and leading to x2 dupont female jumper connectors at the other end for the 5v and ground pins on the Boss?

3) If not, what is the best way to connect the ipower to these pins without using any soldering? Is it possible/easy to cut the connector off of the ipower, strip the cable back a bit and crimp on some female pin connectors? Would this be a safe and reliable option?

4) If not, any other ideas would be greatly appreciated!

I've been searching the internet for answers, but to no avail. Hence I joined here just to ask the knowledgeable folk on this very interesting thread. Thanks :)

Thanks for the link, but I think (and hope) that this is only necessary for when you wish to isolate them and power the Pi and Boss with separate supplies. I want to backpower the Pi from the Boss.

I've just done that via the connector J19. Pins 1/2 = +5V and 15/16 = 0V.

Did it because...
A: I don't like the micro usb connector
B: I wanted to add a USB socket just for power so that I could supply additional power to an external SSD that did not power up correctly on the RPi alone

I've just done that via the connector J19. Pins 1/2 = +5V and 15/16 = 0V.

Thanks garym. I'm so green to all this that I don't even know whether you connect to all four of those pins, or just one in each pair?!

But I'm keen to learn! The main thing I'd like someone to tell me is there is a bespoke adapter that can be bought cheaply that does exactly what I'm looking for... But I'm not holding my breath :)

Thanks garym. I'm so green to all this that I don't even know whether you connect to all four of those pins, or just one in each pair?!

But I'm keen to learn! The main thing I'd like someone to tell me is there is a bespoke adapter that can be bought cheaply that does exactly what I'm looking for... But I'm not holding my breath :)

I've used all the pins so as to maximise the available current from the PSU far better than the connections in the micro usb connector

Please note this method is not separating the supplies between the BOSS & RPi but is simply a different method of routing it.

Please note this method is not separating the supplies between the BOSS & RPi but is simply a different method of routing it.

Also note that if you move the 0-ohm resistor to allow powering the Boss separately via J4, you can still power the R-Pi via J19.

Thanks both, very useful. I'm still a bit unclear about whether powering the Boss via the J19 is beneficial above powering via the micro usb of the Pi when no resistors are removed (so both are powered together rather than separately)?

Is the noisy 5v regulator of the Pi bypassed doing this, and should this theoretically offer sonic advantages?

1. There is no 5V regulator on the PI!
2. By going GPIO you bypass the protection part
3. The uUSB port and usually associated flimsy cables are not the best choice - that's a valid point.
I e.g. solder my cables directly to D5 (on PI3)
4. The 5V you'll feed, feeds your HATs (pin-header) and USB-VBUS. And the 3.3V buck regulator.

If you want to look into a better PI supply, which is a valid point, you should start looking
at the 3.3V decoupling after the buck converter.
Adding an OSCON or similar might do some good.
The real bravehearts might consider to feed external clean and stabil 3.3V. (But NOT through the GPIO pins!)

We've experienced that drawing extra 3.3V PI power (e.g. HifiBerry) is all but a good idea.

Enjoy.

Last edited:
Thanks both, very useful. I'm still a bit unclear about whether powering the Boss via the J19 is beneficial above powering via the micro usb of the Pi when no resistors are removed (so both are powered together rather than separately)?

Yes correct. I did not go this route for sonic performance else I would go dual supply. I went this way because I'm not a fan of the micro-usb for high current supply. It's power contacts are only rated a 1.8A so if you use this then no matter how much current your external supply can provide it will be limited there in the form of heat. Tis also more likely to suffer losses down the USB cable.

Is the noisy 5v regulator of the Pi bypassed doing this, and should this theoretically offer sonic advantages?

Is there a 5V regulator? I think you will find they are for the other rails, 1.8V / 3.3V. So the only thing being bypassed is the input protection.

Could it help sonically? Well maybe in that supplying via the BOSS means that more of the PSU current can get to where it is needed and reduce voltage sags. It is not something I have measured or been looking out for.

As I said my primary goal was to give me a way to break into the 5V power line to get additional power to my external SSD. And I get to dump the 2.1mm DC jack to micro-usb adaptor lead so firming up the power connections more.

@ soundcheck & garym

Thanks for the clarification. OK, so no 5v on the Pi - I did admit to my lack of electrical knowledge in the 1st post! :)

I guess I was operating on the assumption that powering the Boss in this way, even without isolating from the Pi, was advantageous sonically. But you both seem to be suggesting that this isn't likely to be true?

It's strange, because I know that people do do this, power from the Boss/other DAC and backpower the Pi with a single PSU, but perhaps they are doing this for other reasons, as you suggest.

If that is the case, how much improvement could I expect from using the IFI ipower in the conventional way, through the micro USB of the Pi? Does the power conditioning of the Boss render this upgrade less effective than it might be with other Pi DACs?

Any thoughts on this would be really welcome!

Cheers,
Luke

Luke,

Thanks for the clarification. OK, so no 5v on the Pi - I did admit to my lack of electrical knowledge in the 1st post! :)

The RPi does use 5V but has no deadicated 5V regulator as the regulated 5V is supplied via the USB and your external supply.

I guess I was operating on the assumption that powering the Boss in this way, even without isolating from the Pi, was advantageous sonically. But you both seem to be suggesting that this isn't likely to be true?

I'm not saying that it is just that I have not tested for it. As per a previous post I can see tecchnial reasons why it might sound better as the 5V is getting to places it needs with a lower resistance path.

If that is the case, how much improvement could I expect from using the IFI ipower in the conventional way, through the micro USB of the Pi? Does the power conditioning of the Boss render this upgrade less effective than it might be with other Pi DACs?

I would say (and it seems to be confirmed by others) that the best option would be to give the RPi its own supply and isolate any peripherals and give them thier own supply.

Although on the BOSS a lot of work has been done to clean the supplies so it works for most people.

I would suggest spending some solid hours playing time getting to know the sonic characteristics of your chossen solution before looking at this in dpeth. That way any changes you make you should be able to pick up in the changes in sound quality for better or worse.

All projects I've been running have clearly shown that running each HAT with a
separate supply causes improvements. Many inmates made the same experience.

How much you'd value these "improvements" is a personal matter.
There are people here tying to squeeze the last thing out of everything
and there are others who just look for a reasonable streamer.

I left that powering through GPIO alone because it's IMO kind of inflexible.
Especially if you play around with other HATs.

I took a decision to solder my wires right to the board. It IMO can't get better than that.
GPIO would be the 2nd best option. BUT. You'll loose the protection!

Enjoy.

I would say (and it seems to be confirmed by others) that the best option would be to give the RPi its own supply and isolate any peripherals and give them thier own supply.

All projects I've been running have clearly shown that running each HAT with a
separate supply causes improvements. Many inmates made the same experience.
GPIO would be the 2nd best option. BUT. You'll loose the protection!

Thanks for this, it has clarified a few things in my mind. I think I'll stick to trying an ipower in the conventional way, and see how it improves things.

I am interested in the new isolation board from Allo, but no mention of price yet, so I am wondering what the cost/benefit ration might be...

Of course, you could keep tinkering and throwing money at this kind of project, but for usually marginal gains. The law of diminishing returns in action! :)

Cheers,
Luke

BTW.

It's been confirmed that if u run the Boss in slave-mode both clocks
are out of operation. There won't be any EMI/RFI from that side.

I think a well powered Kali and Boss in slave mode should be well
worth a try.

Have you been able to run the Kali and Boss in slave mode ? With what distribution ? I could not get it to work with DietPi.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.