My Loudspeaker Project: a 2 way transmission line. Phase 1: selecting drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re: Try This one

RichardJones said:
http://www.t-linespeakers.org/projects/tlB/index.html

This is a TL dipole system. I have always wanted to build it, and the construction looks easy, plans included.

And there is only 1 cap in the x-over.

:)

I like that one, too. I'm going to build a variation of it, just as soon as the "excitement" from my caterpillars blows over here at Chez Dave.

Dave

Re: Re: Re: Try This one

7V said:

I'll really look forward to seeing that one Dave. Can we expect something on the caterpillar theme or will you go for butterflies this time (open baffle and all that)?

Steve

Butterflies is right. I'm constantly daydreaming about it. It's going to be a network of speaker systems for the final "butterfly" effect, complete with a subwoofer. Right now, I have nothing particularly designed, but the possibilities are narrowing.

The ideas are like an army charging out a fog. I've got to let them approach a while before I commit anything to paper. The archers are ready, tho!

Oh, and I need to learn how to DIY my own amps. I can't afford to buy a decent amp, so I'm thinking it will be the better part of a year before I get around to it.

Dave

Re: Re: Re: Re: Try This one

kneadle said:
Oh, and I need to learn how to DIY my own amps. I can't afford to buy a decent amp, so I'm thinking it will be the better part of a year before I get around to it.

Have you considered buying used amp from eBay or wherever? I've got some good stuff that way and one advantage is that you can sell on what you don't want to keep without losing much (or any) money.

I know that this isn't quite in the spirit of diyAudio but heck, you're designing and building the speakers and I know how much energy that takes. If I had to get into building amps as well I probably wouldn't survive it. Anyway, like you, I've got young children (aged 2.75 and 1 yrs) and I like to see them from time to time (not to mention my wife).

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Try This one

7V said:

Have you considered buying used amp from eBay or wherever? I've got some good stuff that way and one advantage is that you can sell on what you don't want to keep without losing much (or any) money.

I know that this isn't quite in the spirit of diyAudio but heck, you're designing and building the speakers and I know how much energy that takes. If I had to get into building amps as well I probably wouldn't survive it. Anyway, like you, I've got young children (aged 2.75 and 1 yrs) and I like to see them from time to time (not to mention my wife).

This is good advice. What I have a mind to do is basically upgrade consumer grade stuff so that I'm not starting from scratch, but I'll still end up with the kind (quality) of power I want without going broke. The problem here is that I don't know if it's possible.

Dave

upset electrons

I aggree with kneadle, dyi audio amps is alot to take on at the same time. As a person who works with electronics in an indurstrial inviroment, I know 1st hand how unforgiving and upset electrons can get when they don't get there way. Such as forced to go through certain componets in Reverse devilr: . I am in NO WAY trying to challenge your abilities, just want to be helpfull.

P.S. There are several other things that **** them off:devilr:

qwad said:
:bawling: no BRICOLO, it seems no one is listening anymore, probably because of your indicisivnes as I mentioned to you in a previous post time to put you out of your misery:headshot: and everyone else who tried to help you, the only thing that hasen't been suggested yet is to visit partsexpress and checkout their DAYTON DRIVERS and silk dome tweeters which offer a good price value/ performance ratio, plus you could check out their diy speakers page using these good value drivers, because the time is coming where you will have to bite the bullet and commit yourself to actually buying something just to leave everyone alone with your constant bleating, about insignificant trivialities which means zero to everybody else, but you, personally I DON'T give a hoot wether you ever find that magical non existant driver, you keep pestering us trying to find... there have been many good suggestions made for you to consider on this forum, and virtually you have dismissed everyone out of hand, if you arent'happy with the suggestions, which have included almost every quality driver available, bar , the other famous french manufacturer CABASSE, WHICH FOR some reason everyone inc. yours truly up to only a moment ago, overlooked.... anyway if you have the gun I would be happy to supply the bullet, a silver one lest you turn out to be a frustrated vampire and masochist like a lot of french are, you might as well go out in style hence the silver bullet:headshot: like I mentioned in an earlier post KNOWING YOUR HISTORY FROM THE PAST, I was sure it would get to this.... and I must admit I have tired of this whole thing:dead: cheers to all the others who bothered to reply and tried to suggest plausible options for you to try regretably it seems we have all wasted our time and it's enough to drive any sane man to :drink: :drunk: :yawn:

1st point: "Is anyone listening" was a question by 7V, not by me...

2nd point: All the topics I made for drivers were not the same, there always was another budget, and different requirements. I don't know if you really read my posts, or if you only come here to criticize, but the thing you disliked the last time (the fact that I only wanted audax drivers, and that you don't like audax, bla bla bla) is gone, I've looked for suitable drivers, I've posted the list on 1st page, and I'm asking if there are other one I should look at. I don't see the problem with this. If you do, please explain correctly... and don't try to tell the usefull people that came here they are wasting theyr time, since they aren't. I know only one people who is wasting his time here...

Bricolo said:
Audax
Peerless
Scan Speak (good tweeters, but too expensive, and tha midbass don't seem good for a 2 way with a basic XO)
Vifa
Seas

Bricolo,

My suggestion now is the following:

1. Design your cabinet with some sort of removable baffle (or similar) so that you can substitute alternative drive units. Shouldn't be too difficult.

2. Choose drive units (to start).
You could go and listen to speakers that use the drive-units that are on your short-list or just check the specs and go for it. Don't try to find the perfect driver. It's not out there (except possibly B.....);)

3. Build the speaker.

4. Listen to the speaker.

5. Report back to the forum.

6. Make modifications if you haven't yet got what you want.

7. Repeat stages 2 - 6 for as long as necessary.

8. Live long and prosper.

This is your first speaker project and I wish you great success with it but you may be happier if it's not so successful immediately because then you can try again. After all, this is a great hobby (or profession to some of us).

Good luck
Steve

Bricolo said:
this is the main problem :(
where I live, there is only one speaker shop, and they have little choice, mainly low end ones

Then you have three main options:

1. Move home
2. Travel to listen
3. Use your intuition and take the plunge

As you know, most of us on this (and other) forums have our own ideas about which drivers sound good for which purposes. You may not agree with us. We don't always agree with us. The diversity of designs and opinions is one of the things that make speaker design so fascinating.

Good luck
Steve

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.