My little CHP-70 build.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi.
Thought i would show of my new speaker build. Still some work to do, but im getting there.

DSC_0600-001.jpg DSC_0603-001.jpg DSC_0606-001.jpg DSC_0607-001.jpg DSC_0609-001.jpg DSC_0611-001.jpg DSC_0614-001.jpg DSC_0620-001.jpg DSC_0625-001.jpg DSC_0626-001.jpg

Here some :) Keep it simple.

The first picture shows the exact curve i used. A stick with masking tape. :)
I used the same curve for the stand.

DSC_0627-001.jpg DSC_0628-001.jpg DSC_0636-001.jpg

I dont now if anything is wrong with me, but i find that last picture a little bit sexy.. :D

Last edited:
For now and the next period of time I´m breaking in. They dont go very deep right now, but i hope that it will come when they soften a bit up. Still i need to tweek them a bit. I think i might have put to mutch stuffing in them and with that killing some depth.
Overall they play beautiful. So clear highs, and maybe even better than my Alpair 7,2 i my Frugals.

Any advise on making more depth?

This is how they play for now.

DSC09201.JPG DSC09202.JPG DSC09203.JPG DSC09204.JPG DSC09205.JPG DSC09206.JPG

Later on I´m gonna finnish them. Top and buttom speaker will be wood as the front, and the hollow aluminum stand will be painted white as speaker sides. Last I´m filling the stands with sand.

Are these the original (European only?) CHP70s that are akin to the CSS EL70s? The latter driver is one with which I've intimately familiar, and until recently have considered one of Mark's best 2 drivers - the other being the Alpair7. I've lived with both for at least 2 years, with a variety of sources and amps, and am a bit surprised you find the CHP's highs clearer than the A7s. At the frequency range you're talking about, the enclosure should make little difference.

The waiting is certainly the hardest part - give them at least 200hrs of playing time before concluding damping/fill levels are dialed-in, but even with thorough and careful break-in, I doubt the CHP70s will ever be capable of digging as deep as the A7s, and in this case, the enclosure does matter.

All that said, cute project - addicting, isn't it? :D

Well i think the A7 is better over all. But there shure is something about this paper cone. It has very clear highs. For now i really cant compare the two. My A7 drivers play in my frugals. This little enclosure will never be able to compete with a horn speaker. Some time i will try and use the A7 drivers in my new little enclosure and test the two.

Honestly I´m not familiar with this European only model. I no they are some years old but more than that? Must try and find out. :)

They have played about 150 hours at this time. Getting there.

It is very addicting. VERY! :D

Ormen, Chrisb,

I've heard all 3 drivers CHP-70 (gen 1), EL-70, Alpair 7.3 (but not the Alp 7.2)

Yes, the Alp 7.3 is overall the best of the 3... and has most audible and extended HF. I would daresay the stuffing/lining is having an impact on th Alpair 7.x upper frequencies for Ormen - but as long as you like the sound, leave it be. :) Btw, the Alpair 7 in a well designed BR box like the Mar-Kens can be very enjoyable too - sacrifice some low end, but mid-range and bass articulation is top notch - if you have the time and resources, you can build a CGR version to try it out.

The EL-70 is also very nice and has wicked low end oomph - been pointed out many a time. The CHP-70 gen 1 has similarities with the EL-70 - but a bit more delicate - not as much LF grunt (and easier to drive into excursion) probably slightly softer high end also,; but a very clear and smooth midrange... vocals are so nice, and these drivers have an easy sound about them - makes you want to listen...

zman01: CGR version? :) Whats that. Google ain´t helping me. I´m very interested.
Most of the stuff I´m building is for fun. I play around with different enclosures. These i think as being a warm up for my upcoming A10 build. I needed to look at the lines. The A10 build is similar to this design.

Ormen,

Mar-Ken - these designs are by David Dlugos aka Planet10 - here you go with the link to his library of free designs:

Frugal-phile | Box Library / Mark Audio

Planet10 also has paid plansets that will give you further variants of designs.

The CGR - Classic Golden Ratio boxes are easier to build, whereas the boxes in the plans are more stylish IMO and likely to "disappear" better in the room because of the narrow baffle and wide chamfer design. Attached is a pic of a pair I build for a friend (dMar-Ken 7.3).

Btw, Chrisb is usually the first one who builds the prototypes - so he deserves the title of "Ken Master"!

Attachments

• MarKen73.jpg
    MarKen73.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 291
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.