my latest iteration of "Nanook's 219 tonearm"..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
sled....cueing mechanisms are quite easy actually.

have a look at one that is quick and easy to make.

Attachments

• cueing mechanism.png
    cueing mechanism.png
    16.6 KB · Views: 893
Last edited:
Just email me direct (my email is open to all). Look up Members. search for "Nanook", my email address should be displayed. Or join "friends of Nanook" in Groups :)

That will always get you in touch with me...
so the list so far:

Kevin and wjlamp, any comments thus far?

only a few more to go..:)

Hi Stew,

not much yet,soundwise,'cause still have no wire,waiting.But...
mechanics,well, looks excellent.Balanced,it rotates on the bearing for a well 2 minutes,after a gentle push.Which it seems right,frictionwise.
Had to widen the hole a little bit more,just to have some more clearance in the vertical movement.

B.L

Sled.

well if your counter-weight can grip the shaft, then no need to worry too much. As the tonearm is "freed" from the lift arm, the azimuth adjustment will self-restore:), one of the beauties of Dumb-a*s simple design.

The same thing can be accomplished using "outrigger" weights to stabilize the cartridge cantilever laterally, and help adjust azimuth. This is something I haven't discussed at all...lateral stability of the cantilever.

wjlamp: That's the beauty of this design. And know I was in an absolute rush to get these together and to dave (I finished them late Wednesday night, shipped them on Thursday for delivery to chris and dave on Friday. The audio fest began Saturday morning), and I know they were not perfect.

Hey sled, where did you get hollow wooden arrow shafts?

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
<snip>

Kevin and wjlamp, any comments thus far?

only a few more to go..:)

Sadly I got sidetracked by two simultaneous computer failures, both my media server and desktop encountered fatal hardware issues in the past 7 days, and I am in the process of acquiring new hardware - lots of it, and building new machines and all activities audio are on hold until this is sorted out.. The upside is that what I can afford has gotten insanely powerful in the last few years, and these machines will be a great deal more powerful than the 2 - 5 yr old machines they will replace.

I need to get some cartridge clips and wire - other than that I should be ready to rock n' roll pretty soon..

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Easier to do than acquiring new MB's, HDD's, cases, sound cards, video cards, etc. - Plus - no OS to go crazy on about the 4th re-install. :headbash:

Added complication is that I am mostly running Linux these days so I have to be very careful to purchase things that are known to work in Linux.. (Less of a problem than you would suspect as long as you stay away from absolute bleeding edge hardware) The benefit of course is that I save some significant $$ not having to invest in an OS, and a lot of other software.. I actually like tinkering with computers except when I have a lot of more interesting audio stuff to play with instead.. (And I do..) :D

Kevin, my comp crashed ...

a 2008 iMac... killed the HD and I lost everything, including some great technical papers. I recently got back online, but am using a portable Western 160 GB HD to function as my primary. Still not ideal.

And my wife (who's a RN) had all of her yearly paperwork lost by the Nursing "college"(licensing body), and who stated "not running a PC, too bad". Seems I may have to buy a netbook just for that use.

I am concerned about installing any hard drive into the iMac as the heat and the dust killed the one I had, I think. If I could get or make a custom cable that will allow the HD to sit outside of the box, I'd do that (not a USB HD, but a direct (internally) connected HD.

What does a crashed HD have to do with a tonearm?

Well, all of my drawings (and I do mean hundreds of them), in sketchup and autocad are gone. This includes the measured drawings that I had for the tonearms, so that if any might need further instruction via a visual, they could be posted.

I was also sympathizing with kevin's situation.

Completely off-topic...

And my wife (who's a RN) had all of her yearly paperwork lost by the Nursing "college"(licensing body), and who stated "not running a PC, too bad". Seems I may have to buy a netbook just for that use.
Get Parallels for your Mac and run Windows on your Mac. Parallels is a lot cheaper than a second computer.

I am concerned about installing any hard drive into the iMac as the heat and the dust killed the one I had, I think.
Dust shouldn't get into the hard drive and they are fairly heat tolerant.

If I could get or make a custom cable that will allow the HD to sit outside of the box, I'd do that (not a USB HD, but a direct (internally) connected HD.

An external firewire 800 drive is fairly quick, a lot easier to hook up than making custom cables, etc. What I would do is replace the dead hard drive, preferably with a 7200 rpm drive, and then use your current external for Timemachine backup. While you have the hood open, make sure you have at least 2GB of RAM installed :)

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
a 2008 iMac... killed the HD and I lost everything, including some great technical papers. I recently got back online, but am using a portable Western 160 GB HD to function as my primary. Still not ideal.

I am concerned about installing any hard drive into the iMac as the heat and the dust killed the one I had, I think. If I could get or make a custom cable that will allow the HD to sit outside of the box, I'd do that (not a USB HD, but a direct (internally) connected HD.

Hi Stew,
We must be brothers in so far as the computer issues are concerned.. :D

if your iMAC uses a sata drive you can use an Esata bulkhead connector, and eSata cables to a drive in an eSata box.. Either Newegg or Directron should be able to set you up with what you need very cheaply.. Usually the bulkhead connector will come bundled with a housing that supports USB 2 and eSata - that is how I got mine..

I was fairly lucky this time, lost nothing of great value permanently - most everything was backed up, and what I lost was mostly media - and by my choice when I thought the problem was other than MOBO related.

Keeping my fingers crossed that the rest of the hardware gets here sooner than later so I can get on with more interesting things.

Good luck!

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Get Parallels for your Mac and run Windows on your Mac. Parallels is a lot cheaper than a second computer.

And there is also Sun's Virtual Box. Free for personal use.

I can second Flemming re the HD. iMac drives have a heat sensor on them, they usually only die due to pre-mature failure. Being a moving device, this happens.

dave

guys, thanks for the advise and comments.

Gregg had suggested he might have a Sata II HD (160GB) kicking around that might be OK.

For those that don't know of "Chinook Country" ffrom Wikipedia:
On average, Lethbridge has 116 days with wind speed of 40 km (24.9 mi) or higher, ranking it as the second city in Canada for such weather."

We often get winds in excess of 50 MPH or 80 kph. With the wind comes dust. (we are a semi-arid climate).

When I opened up the HD it was dust covered. That's one of the reasons I think dust had a factor.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
And there is also Sun's Virtual Box. Free for personal use.

I can second Flemming re the HD. iMac drives have a heat sensor on them, they usually only die due to pre-mature failure. Being a moving device, this happens.

dave

Presumably it's a commodity drive, all of my OTS drives have sensors, and hardware to determine remaining service life but I no longer bother to install the software that would allow me to monitor the drives as a drive that was reported as supposedly healthy failed catastrophically (no warning) just a few days later taking a lot of irreplaceable data with it. Since then I have learned to be redundant - I have copies of most important stuff on multiple drives and usually on more than one machine as well as USB sticks and outboard HDD..

I like Sun's Virtual Box, but expect a fork very soon as Oracle is not nearly as open source friendly as Sun was, and who knows how long the Sun version will remain available. It is important to note that last time I checked the open source version did not support USB devices and if you need that functionality you must use the Sun version.. USB pass through to VB is an amusing problem to solve, something I will address soon as I plan to run win XP on Virtual Box and must be able to connect my iPod and TomTom GPS.. (Desktop)

Last edited:
Getting Ready

Stew,
Almost finished with the Tonearm pedestal. Here is a few photo's of the progress.
Still need to make the base and arm rest. I put a little room for a lift if I get around to making one.
The bearing base is moveable up and down to set VTA. I will probably make a set screw out of wood to hold it.

So far cost is zero since these were scrap pieces of wood laying around. At times it pays to be a pack rat.

Attachments

• DSC02664.JPG
    DSC02664.JPG
    118.7 KB · Views: 794
  • DSC02665.JPG
    DSC02665.JPG
    121.5 KB · Views: 787
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.