My Journey with the Zen Master (Be Counted)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Whatever Number I am, I'm not the last...

Count me in in a big way.
Though I'm still working on my Audio Amateur bought BOSOZ project, I discovered Nelson's original website first early in it's incarnation. At the time I think he didn't have the X series of amps. I can't remember what exactly I was searching for that led to a link to his page, but it must've been keywords: "balanced differential preamplifier" or something to that effect. I had only built with -or, indeed, believed in- tubes up to that point. I didn't think transistors were worth looking into. I had interned at a recording studio in NYC where the proprietor, Walter Sear, was a product of the early years of the industry when all the gear was valve operated. He rarely thought a ss product came out that sounded as good, and his gear reflected that. Pultecs EQs, Urei compressors, Ampex pres, Neumann tube mics, Macintosh amps, and stuff I couldn't even identify just packed every rack space as far as the eye could see.

Needless to say, I wanted to keep an open mind and an eye out for economy: I didn't like the way tubes would eventually burn out. So, I started my search for the best of both worlds. I didn't know it at the time, but I was looking for Pass Labs. When I told Walter that I'd like to find some design that would sound as good as tubes but used transistors, to this he simply replied, "Why? My son in law owns a warehouse full of tubes I've collected for years. I'll get you whatever you need. Tubes aren't ever going away."
As it turns out, he was right. Within the last few years tubes have started to be manufactured new all over the place again, but I balk at their cost. Sure, they're good if there's a nuclear war, but what's the likelihood of that?

Anyway, when I first discovered Nelson's site, and read the Balanced Zen Linestage article. I was hooked. I quickly downloaded all of the articles there and -get this- LAMINATED THEM!
I didn't know how long his site would be up (as many cool pages sometimes just disappear), and I was damned if I wasn't going to be referring to the plethora of information contained therein for years to come. His no nonsense demystification of how audio measures differently than it sounds and the ways to minimize the distortions that cause bad sound were so refreshingly simple, that I immediately became a disciple. Didn't know so many others out there were with me. It seemed pretty lonely for a while.

So, thanks Nelson. You've restored my faith in how audio technology is indeed marching forward and we don't need to solely rely on technology that is close to a century old for good sound.

-Erik.

Jan,

Cyclotronguy has been screwing with the Claw for months, you should send him an e-mail.:D :D :D :D

Regards,
Jam

Attachments

• abr0950l.jpg
    abr0950l.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 466
So far 17 counted and still growing...8 countries from the 3rd Rock and 1 from the Red Planet.

e.lectronik, "...your electrolytic caps would be the first to go then the sun would shrink into a white dwarf and our planet will suffer heat death. You can bet the farm on that!" -NP.

Enjoyed reading your own journeys and experiences. Thank you!

Zen Master, thanks for sharing the fun with the DIY community.

Count me in, #18?

A warm and sincere thank you, to the one and only, Mr. Nelson Pass!
You are for us (DIY-Audio) a miracle that was send from heaven. It's just incredible to be part of this tremendous forum and be able to learn so much from others and especially from a leader in high-end audio technology.

A big THANK YOU from a small Holland!

Sincerely,

Audiofanatic ;)

:blush: :guilty: :sorry:

Where's the script?

Take 2:

"In 15 years the electrolytic power supply caps will get old. Depending on usage, you will begin to have semiconductor and other failures between 10 and 50 years after date of manufacture. Later, the sun will cool to a white dwarf, and after that the universe will experience heat death." -NP, from the Aleph Owner's Manual

"Do everybody a favor and try not to have a shorted output cables. It happens accidentally all the time, and the amp is designed to survive, but I wouldn't bet the farm on it." -NP, from the X Series Owner's Manual

Sorry, my memory didn't serve me right...

Lost the count...

Blues, this journey into everyone's past is such a great idea...

As far as I remember, I've always been looking for the audio system of my dreams. Built numerous amps/preamps, mainly taken from general electronic magazines. Began with integrated ones (remember the TDA2030 ? ;) ), then switched to bipolars, which I've been very happy with.... until I built Elektor's Hexfet... The "mosfet sound" was a revelation to me... :bigeyes: Then got access to internet... Wow! The treasure chest ! Stumbled upon the PassLabs site, and .... I got infected by the Pass virus. First injection of a Bride of Zen. So simple, so beautiful... Couldn't believe my ears. Belle visu, belle auditu. Then couldn't resist a booster shot with the Zen amps, Version 1. And a bang on the head... With the Hexfet, I believed that I knew the mosfet sound... No, No. Wrong, my dear... Another amazement...
Well, the journey never ends, and after a balanced line stage (wow), a DAC with a D1-like I/V stage (re-wow), a downsized Zen for headphones (re-re-wow), an Aleph X is in the pipeline (re-re-re-wow ? - no doubt)...
In the meantime, I tried a detox ;) with the gainclone... But I think I'm seriously addicted : Either my ears and brain are hooked on IRFxxx sound, or my speakers don't fit the GC nicely, but I didn't feel the deep thrill with it, while my Zen twins are still making me shiver after 4 years...

And, Mr Pass, I take this opportunity to thank you for all the fresh air you brought (and still bring) to the DIY community. Common words, I know, but sincere ones. Thanks again.

After trying to build 2 heathkit amps, the first of which needed
about 14 hours from a teck to fix the next one only took the Heathkit teck 8 hours to get working. I built the A40 and it
worked.... later I built a AB version of this amp and gained
a new respect of the beauty of how (the one and only) had
stabalized the bias in the A40.

Need a good laugh and a cheap way to measure distortion
just read his Citation 12 article (how to set the bias)

:) Deepest regards

Woody AKA bob12345678

diyAudio Retiree
Joined 2002
I have an idea.........

"Thank you. Like any artist, I insist on precise quotes and my name spelled correctly."

You could get a cool but cryptic logo and become "The artist formerly know as Pass."

I have expressed my thanks for you great articles and projects in the past and look forward to many more to come. Your good nature and sense of humor in the midst of the occasional Chaos here may even be an even more remarkable achievement. I look forward the to your continued presence as the real "moderator" on this forum.

Fred Dieckmann

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.