My High Low Pass

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here's the new knobs on the BOSOZ, well worth the effort.

Ian

Attachments

• bosoz.jpg
    bosoz.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 1,029
Too Long but it was fun.

I used 50mm machine grade aluminium and spun down to 48 mill, then milled out a 16 mill x 4 mill rear section, then the 1/4 inch shaft hole and then grub screw.

Next time I will make a brass sleeve insert.

Here is the Lathe. Its not a large machine but it is capable of precision.

Ian

Attachments

• mitford.jpg
    mitford.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 947
For those of you without a lathe, (like myself) Here's what I was able to do with a chop saw and drill press.

Cut to lenght, drill 1/4" hole as close to center as possible, deform the end of a piece od 1/4" rod and drive it into the hole, Chuck in a drillpress set to highest speed and work it with a file, then sand paper. Also, no hole for set screw.

I made 2 for my APOX preamp I'm working on

Not to say I don't wish I had a lathe though. I need a 12000 sf shop with all the equipment I could fit inside, but can't justify it.

Oh yea ... Nice work..,. and I'm eagerly awaiting your results on the crossover. I plan to have one inside my preamp.

Attachments

• knob.jpg
    knob.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 861
macka said:
Too Long but it was fun. Next time I will make a brass sleeve insert.

How about Chromed brass next time, just an idea.

This 1 of a set of 4, two of 50 mm and two of 30 mm.
Made from round solid brass hollowed for weight to a wall thickness of 5 mm, with a machined base, welded together.
Polished, engraved and then chromed.

Attachments

• nicenobby.jpg
    nicenobby.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 455
I just fired up the active crossover.
First impressions:

WOW.

I have to go out now, been working on this job all day for a glimps of what it might do.

I think this is unit is going to be very very good.

Playing Eva Cassidy there is a sense of absolutely transparent, utterly natural vocals and purity.

You just can't hear the electronics at all. This has always been a problem with prior art active crossovers imho.

Here's a picture of the rig in a state of flux. To the left some of the class A Aleph mono blocks, the 4345 monitor, atop it the Passlabs Bride of Son of Zen and to the left of it the High Low Pass active crossover out of the box just in case of the need for the technicians touch. Also at the moment its running on a standard chip regulator for test purposes.

More news later in the week.

Ian

Attachments

• creation.jpg
    creation.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 473
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.