My Glass TB871 Build / Discussion

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
nukaidee said:
its just an aluminum cap off some cheap thing i found in my basement. and yes, I need to make a driver screen or whatever you call it, but it looks so cool showing the cone and the phase plug/cap? anyone have any ideas for a translucent / half tennis ball shaped dome?

No (mostly) acoustically transparent cover that you can put over that will keep the most pernicious stuff out of the gap. Gravity (with the aide of the cone's funnel) will suck all sorts of dust right down into the gap and reduce the life of your speaker dramatically.

dave

glowing =) turns all colors in the RGB spectrum.

Attachments

• 04042009369-w400.jpg
    04042009369-w400.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 245
I don't think any cover is gonna keep enough of the dust and debris out. If you are gonna have them mounted facing upwards you can't use an open voice coil with phase plug set-up, you gotta use a driver with a dust cap. Your set-up will work for awhile but the gap will wear and damage the speaker.

The phase plug is the bullet shaped item in the center of the cone. The thin gap between them is the area of concern. Some speakers have no phase plug and that area is covered with a dust cap which is glued in place. Woofers usually have a dust cap instead of phase plug.

......or lay them on their sides and problem solved. It'd be a shame to undo all your work and such cool looking speakers. Do an upward facing design next using the same bottles.

yep, acrylic feet =) but for the mean time I just made a screen that's covering the driver, it doesn't look as cool without the exposed phase plug, but I guess it'll have to do for now. Its just speaker screen material mounted to the aluminimum ring. the ring is approx 1.5 mm higher than the cone so nothing is touching and its sealed for now.

So how goes the break-in? What all did Dave do to these speakers before he sent them to you?

Have you tried them down firing yet? I turned some computer speakers to face down towards my desk top and I noticed some of the higher frequencies went away, actually made them sound a little less harsh.

You are powering these with the center channel pair from a surround sound receiver correct? Is the center channel pair in stereo? Might you know if this is the case for most center channel pairs on most surround sound receivers like say Sony? I might try this with the add on tweeters on some 901's I have for a poor mans bi-amp set-up.

im' still pointing them up, my room is big enough (19 ft celing) that the highs don't bother me. my center channel pair is in stereo, many lower end amps only have 1 center channel. the 100hz cut on mine is based on dolby lisences. so its amp independent. actually im not sure about if its stereo or not, because there is no need for it to be, under dolby pro logic, its just sending anything that sums the same in LR to the center.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
901Fixer said:
What all did Dave do to these speakers before he sent them to you?

All i did wa smeasure & match them (2 decent pairs out of 7 drivers with a 3rd close enuff pr) -- i'm listening to that last pair in a pair of 2 L Aperiodic boxes i had lying around (the damped port was where an ApexJr tweeter used to reside). I couldn't resist tarting up the 2 pair i had left over.

dave

Attachments

• office-fi-w-tb871.jpg
    office-fi-w-tb871.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 164
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.