My Fostex FE 108EZ project, Part 2

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Okay, I spent quite a bit of time playing around with stuffing in the line and adding a front baffle behind the driver.

On the front baffle, I tried big round baffles, square baffles, oblong baffles, offset baffles You name it, I tried it. Round just sounds better. You are right, JohninCR, the tone smoothed out quite a bit and allowed me to reduce the line stuffing a bit. Thanks.

The size of the front baffle in the photo is the minimum, but if you go much larger (about 2 more inches on the radius), the sound starts to get weird. I started hearing too much detail on certain instruments at the expense of others. So I settled on this happy medium.

The cabinets have 3.5 ounces of polyester fiber stuffing in the line, 1/3 in the back section and 2/3 in the middle section.

As for sound and room placement, these speakers seem very forgiving. They disperse sound quite well. If you want more bass, place them close to the wall. For a more "airy" sound, move them out. Point them strait ahead for listening anywhere in the room, or cross them just in front or behind you for critical, close-in listening. I guess if there is a downside, they don't "get in your head." There really is no sweet spot. The sound is equally good no matter where you move your head.

I feel this is about as far as I can take this particular design in the X-baffle. I'm ready to build.

Doug

Attachments

• 103_0395.jpg
    103_0395.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 394
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.