My first Tannoy Autograph

Re: Tannoy surrounds

david yost said:
Hello, Guys:

Great project...I hope that they deliver all the sound you expect and deserve!

On a sad note, though...both of the foam surrounds on the woofers of my Westminsters have started to crack. Anybody know of a repair shop in the US that can handle refoaming these? The last time I checked, Tannoy wanted >$1000 to do the job.

Best wishes,
David

www.decware.com MIGHT be able to help.

Ask for Steve.

Or. better yet, ask for Bendi :hbeat:

(BTW, per chance do you have the design plans for the Westminster?)

Attachments

• jam.jpg
    jam.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 853
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
maxlorenz said:
Dear Andrew, DAvid and Choky...........................

I believe you :devilr:
Above are the links. Google also at tannoy bigpond. Today I couldn't find them I can email you some.
Beyma's are good drivers.
See specs:
http://www.usspeaker.com/beyma 15KX-1.htm

Stay tuned
M

OK-seems that I found plans;
anyway-I'll try to tweak (if I find them) a pair of ancient Iskra cinema 14" spks,just because I have chance to hear tweaked pair....it's hard to believe that 14" driver can be full range,but it can!

in a meantime,I'll be satisfied with my RCAs in really big TL ........ :devilr:

ps: http://www.users.bigpond.com/tunnelgap/Tannoy is dead link , but google have cache!

btw, http://www.hilberink.nl/speaker.htm looks interesting,too

surrounds !! http://www.hilberink.nl/codehans/tannoy23.htm

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Re: Tannoy surrounds

david yost said:
On a sad note, though...both of the foam surrounds on the woofers of my Westminsters have started to crack. Anybody know of a repair shop in the US that can handle refoaming these? The last time I checked, Tannoy wanted >$1000 to do the job.

Best wishes,
David
Try Gordon Waters at Audio Atlanta, he does great work and has access to the correct surrounds for 1/10 the price of places such as Speaker Bits. I'm sure he could do it for 1/6th that Tannoy cost estimate including shipping.

Of course, if you choose not to repair them, I'd gladly give the Westminsters cabinets a home at my place and throw my drivers into them. ;)

- JP

Oh yes, Max, there's Tannoy fans here, but I suspect we're a bit scared of you. :D If you can do work like that in such short time and create Tannoy monsters ... well, you see the point.

Very nice work overall and I look forward to your impressions when both units are completed and playing stereo in the same room. Of course, it might be hard to stop listening long enough to post.

- JP

Surrounds

Try Gordon Waters at Audio Atlanta, he does great work and has access to the correct surrounds for 1/10 the price of places such as Speaker Bits. I'm sure he could do it for 1/6th that Tannoy cost estimate including shipping.

Of course, if you choose not to repair them, I'd gladly give the Westminsters cabinets a home at my place and throw my drivers into them.

- JP

Thanks, Diogenes. This is very convenient...I am in an Atlanta Suburb.

David

Hi everybody:
I worked 24hrs at my real job on saturday, then many hours on my passion ;) yesterday and I ended with a non-complited but functioning Autograph. We saw a movie with some friends and later listened to some music (speakers are activelly CX at 1K2 Hz)
Listening impressions (many days monoaural, a few hours stereo).

*this is what you can call properly "home theater"! Certainly no need for subwoofer here. Rear Horn delivers fast and deep bass so you can hear a very good replica of thunders :eek: and other special effects. These are fast speakers so action sounds are very welll reproduced. Front horn gives robust voices.

*rear horn mouths are oriented in a +/-90º angle so on axis near field listening gives a "thiner" (if it can be called liked that) sound. When you get back, say 3-4m, or even better, seat near the rear wall, the whole picture gets more integrated (Large room needed to breathe). Being "two way" coaxial transducer gives a very coherent presentation without transition between F's.

*I can't talk about soundstage yet due to uneven placement of speakers. My cables are too short and I got to get rid of a "heater" on the corner. Enough to say it is very wide and deep.

*the clue term here is SCALE! As I said before dinamic and spacial scales are on another level, compared to common speakers. HI sensitivity transducers and Hi efficiency enclosures gives tremendous dinamics. "Expanding sound source" configuration makes large intruments sound large. Orchestra's sections sound wide, weighty and fast, like, for example strings section attacks...I think is an intrinsic quality of coaxial to make Brass instruments sound very real and front horn gives that punch that trumpet or trombone have. I like specially double basses lines, wich are not the usual boom-boom but a textured, articulated and detailed reproduction (bass armonics?)
Feeling a complete, full sized orchestra in one's room is intoxicating :cool:
Maybe David could confirm my thoughts ;)

*although Beyma's tweeter is very good, giving a textured and colorful reproduction of violins and other hi pitch intruments, It is
-3dB at 17 Khz, compared to -4dB at 30Khz of my Definition 500's, so it lacks some HF extension with respect of what I'm used to. I will take off the "dust cap" (unless someone opposes ) and play with IC's a little. Sitting very far away also contributes. Maybe real Tannoy DC are better in that aspect :(
That said, the 106dB/W tweeter shows many low level details that I haven't heard before, specially on ADD discs, when you can hear that analog "vibration". I can't explain it better.

*overall, the sound is soft but robust, warm and "continous". The genious of Guy R. Fountain allowed to make a speaker that sound as if all frequencies are treated equally.
CD's are listenable! :D
You know a system sounds good when totally boring music becomes interesting and even enjoyable. I will borrow some of that kind of music. ;)

I'll make an update when i get more impressions.

Dear Diogenes:
Oh yes, Max, there's Tannoy fans here, but I suspect we're a bit scared of you. If you can do work like that in such short time and create Tannoy monsters ... well, you see the point.

Many thanks for your kind words :)
You know how this is. I am a humble spirit craving for public recognition! :angel: :angel: :angel:
Now I feel worthy of this great forum!

Dear Choky:

I'll try to tweak (if I find them) a pair of ancient Iskra cinema 14" spks

Oh! They look very nice!
A word of caution though. This enclosure enhances midrange and bass so if your FR is a bit shy on HF you could end with a speaker short of highs. That's why I choose active biamping. ;)

in year or two,there will be two of us with same ugly spks

That hurt! :mad: :clown:
Wait until they are varnished!

Dear Andrew:

Did the info helped? I first did a carton 1:10 replica of them (I still have it :hbeat: ) to look how the rear horn was folded.

I will post some more photos.

Cheers
Mauricio,
From late 50'...

Hi,
I was hoping to do some numbers on the sizes quoted and then ask you how the predictions compared to the listening experience.
But you beat me to it.
How deep do they go?
Would they be any good for sound effects on film tracks?

Seems like the speed of the horns makes the instruments sound more real, rather than the watered down variety we usually hear in the domestic situation.

On a completely different tack, some comentators say that bass horns must be time compensated to allow for the delay in getting from cone to horn mouth to ear. But in a back loaded horn like Tannoy's Autograph and Westminster and all the Lowther horns it is impossible to separate the back wave from the front sound and delay the front appropriately and yet people rave about the sound quality.
This time compensation could only apply to a dedicated bass horn with a separate mid and treble set up.
Have we any comments on the two opposing views?

Dear Andrew:
Well, Tannoy's own brochure says :
Technical Specification

Power Handling Capacity: 50 Watts (with Monitor Gold drive unit)

Frequency Range: 20 Hz to 30'000 Hz

Conversion Efficiency: In excess of 20 per cent over entire range
(four to five times that of conventional systems)

Rear Horn Development: Effective 20 Hz to 250 Hz

Front Horn Development: Effective 250 Hz to 1000 Hz

Polar Distribution, 60 degree Inculded Angle: -4dB at 10,000 Hz

Overall Dimensions:
Height: 4 ft 10.5 inches
Width at Walls: 3 ft 7 inches
Frontal Width: 29.25 inches
Depth, front to corner: 26.5 inches

My Beyma is -3db at 25Hz, that's why I'm not willing to buy a SPL meter :D

How deep do they go?
Would they be any good for sound effects on film tracks?

They go deep enough as you see...and I still don't have them right on the corners!
I thought I answered above the issue about film effects...dinamic+fast+deep+ample= ???
What more do you want? :D

But in a back loaded horn like Tannoy's Autograph and Westminster and all the Lowther horns it is impossible to separate the back wave from the front sound and delay the front appropriately and yet people rave about the sound quality.

Yes, I was concerned about this previously...until i made my dwarf Tannoy's ;) The Big ones confirmed that there's no discernable delay. How I see it is like this: the in-room air is coupled with in-speaker air (big mouths) so woofer movement ellicits a quick response of the coupled in-speaker air column/in-room air, like the speakers seem to "breathe the music". A 1/f delay could happend I guess :D
Anyway, I'm not expert you know. I only imagine this, being so fast performers (fast, not sharp).
I hope these comments help you.

About my previous post relating HF shortage...it could be well unexistant! I listened to chamber music today and the system sounded more airy. I will pospone further impressions because i made other changes: interconnects between DDDAC1543 and Kookaburra preamp; interconnects between active CX and one amp. All DIY OCC copper IC's, wich may need some burn-in time, appart my new Wonder solder. The transducers also may need a burn-in after a loong rest.

that speaker takes some SERIOUS woodwork and this is only your second build...

Yeah, It's nice to build speakers, BUT, what can a man do if he finds very soon his dream speakers??? :(

I will rest a little, maybe two weeks...and then... Tannoy Autograph enclosures replica, scaled down to 2:3 with a Audio Nirvana super 8 FR ;) :att'n:

I am an obsessive-compulsive builder :bawling:

Cheers
M

First unit, almost finished:

my.php

I hope you like them :)

I have a question for the experts (Planet 10?). This enclosure has a 10 cm platform base, wich I did not install as they are already very tall. I preferred a 38mm thick base and lying on the floor.
Can a difference in bass be expected from this 10cm decoupling from floor?
Or, do they made it to easier corner mounting?

See you
M

Some third parties comments:
On an "HIFI world" review-
http://www.hi-fiworld.co.uk/hfw/oldeworldehtml/tannoyspeakers.html

G.R.F. Autograph 58 1/2in. (h) by 43in. (w) by 26 1/2 (d) Silvers, Reds or Golds. Goes beyond the G.R.F. by having a larger overall bass horn and a horn in front of the main unit as well. More efficient, more of everything. The only set I ever heard was in Japan, with matching ultra-rare GRF amplifiers. I was very jealous! 'Rare' is not quite the right word for either amps or 'speakers! Simply priceless, Tannoy did not make many of these brutes.

Another one, in interview style:
http://www.hilberink.nl/codehans/tannoy83.htm

Regards
M

Hi there,
Did I mention that I absolutelly, positivelly, wholeheartedly love my Autographs??? :D :cool:

Almost completed second unit. After that, sanding and varnishing of both (when the weather improves). Also puting DC sensing circuit on my amps. I will try the excellent Mauro Penasa's My-ref, at 50W I think it can handle the woofer (it has DC blocking capacity)

Now... the BOM:

Two Beyma 15" KX coaxials, second hand: US$430
Marine plywood : US$300
Woodworkers fees : US$ 80
Materials; glue (3lts), screws...etc : US$ 40 (more or less)
--------------------------------------------------------------------
TOTAL US$850. :cool:

From now on, I will call them "my 850 dollars speakers" :D if you don't mind!

Life is good
M

PS: anybody knows how much did I save by DIY them? :angel: