my first speaker build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
thanks inductor for the pointer .....
i will going with a 9L box with a port of 4.5cm dia and 7.5cm length dia tuned to 70Hz.... this provides a Vent Mach of 0.1 when played at 50W.
Hope this is ok ..... and if there is peaking or port noise cant i reduce that by damping the inside of the box with egg crate foam or glass wool(hard to find)...find attached cal for the acoustic power cal and port length
on the side note ....speaker box design is really a difficult stuff ....thanks for the help....
regards...

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    233.6 KB · Views: 124
  • images.jpg
    images.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 127
  • acostic cal.png
    acostic cal.png
    219 KB · Views: 125
this might be stupid question.... do i need to subtract the entire volume of the port from my box volume ... what i mean is does the air inside the port add to the box volume or do i need to consider the entire port as solid block and remove it from the box volume .....

regards

this might be stupid question.... do i need to subtract the entire volume of the port from my box volume ... what i mean is does the air inside the port add to the box volume or do i need to consider the entire port as solid block and remove it from the box volume .....

regards

yes. need to add the volume displaced by port and increase box volume by the same amount.

Last edited:
finally finished the bookshelf speakers...
still pending
1. front grill
2. crossover
3. internal stuffing....

will complete within a couple of days....
and is really nessary to put spikes underneath the speakers...any other cheaper alternative???

Attachments

• IMG_20160101_214436.jpg
    IMG_20160101_214436.jpg
    668.9 KB · Views: 115
finally finished the bookshelf speakers...
still pending
1. front grill
2. crossover
3. internal stuffing....

will complete within a couple of days....
and is really nessary to put spikes underneath the speakers...any other cheaper alternative???

I kind of had this discussion with Lee Taylor of Taylor speakers. He does not encourage the use of spikes at all and prefers as complete and heavy a connection to the floor as possible. From his experience, cinder blocks made the best speaker stands. WAF is another matter though. :) The big point is, I wouldn't encourage the use of spikes at all except for adjusting the speaker tilt. There is one big benefit of having them, or even just using the brass, coin-shaped spike protectors. If your surface isn't perfectly flat, speakers will tend to wobble. Adding those brass coins, or even like a real coin at 3 points under the speaker should eliminate that possibility.

Another possibly good sounding option is to put weights on top of the speaker. I don't mean those little tweaks. I mean 10-40lbs of weight. :) Of course, having that look ugly may eliminate any benefit of great bass.

At least try the weights and tell us what you think.

Best,

Erik

Last edited:
completed the cross overs and mounted them on the back panel
Your inductors should be mounted at right angles to each other to minimize cross coupling between them.
Mounted parallel to each other, as you have them, results in a basic transformer between the two coils.

If you have the ability to move one of them on each crossover to be vertical rather than horizontal, it sure would not hurt. (resulting in one vertical, and the other horizontal)

completed the cross overs and mounted them on the back panel

what J.L. says is correct. look at the attached pic. Inductors have to be at right angles to each other. This was my first x-over attempt. :eek:. I had never touched a soldering iron in life before that.

Attachments

• 20140225_204459.jpg
    20140225_204459.jpg
    558.6 KB · Views: 58
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.