My first scope

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi poobah,
The trick is finding someone who knows what 3" inches of bubble wrap means...
LOL
That is so true. Of everything. I must confess I don't use that much packing, but at least I try to make it snug.

Not like the lady who shipped a power amp to us in a pillow case. It suffered from physical distortion after that. ;)

-Chris

I have gotten some pretty banged up stuff on Ebay... I send them a letter with pictures... of damaged units... and proper proper packaging... and don't pay until I get a reply.

I would like to take some of these people, wrap them in a pillow case, and give them a 4 foot drop onto a conveyor belt!

:mad:

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi EC8010,
Yes, it was a bit over the top.

How did this get funnier?

1. No insurance (wouldn't matter, improper packaging).
2. She expected us to cover the damage as we didn't tell her how to package it (that's covered in the owners manual).
3. The courier (UPS I think) wouldn't cover the $100.00 stock insurance because .... it was not packed properly.

The amp was a Carver M1.0t. The mag coil traveled around and - well it wasn't repairable. The face plate was bent around on the edges, really bent around the unit. All chassis projections (handles, jacks and lips) no longer projected. There were dents in the top and bottom panels were the mag coil attempted to come out. It rattled. A lot.

She slid it into a pillow case and zipped it up. The label was on the outside of that. I am somewhat surprised the label stayed on and we got the package.

Oh, we didn't cover the damage. It was very difficult to listen to her scream about it without laughing. I wish I had pictures.

-Chris

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi EC8010,
I have a strong feeling they attempted to reject the package at first. They may have marked the package for "special handling".

To be honest, I was relieved that we didn't have her as a customer. One of those "you just can't win" customers. Thinking about this, I am almost sure the unit came in for a warranty repair.

Sometimes karma can restore your faith in the world. :D

-Chris

EC8010

Makes me think of that old commercial/ad where the chimps were playing with suitcases...

Chris,

Yeah... I actually had knucklehead call and then return a motor controller saying that the motor was running too fast... and also that a small brass screw on the circuit board was stripped... I quote, "... must have turned that screw 40 turns... never did draw up tight". The brass screw on a 25 turn pot!!!!!!!!!!

I have never provided user access to a trimpot on any product since!

;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.