• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

My first preamp with tubes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
When we're waiting for guests, the kid is sleeping, all cooking is done what then do the husband ?:) changing cathode res to 180ohm and got 0,43/0,45mA :D

Gain is high!! Scary dynamics now... Almost to much in your face. But clean yet smooth. Wife says; "sound is so clear"

You gotta be a bit crazy about this hobby when your doing that + writing here today:D

Ok over n out:cool::D

Yeah i sure do :)

So you think i should stop here or go down more so i came over or on to 5mA? I think 120-150ohm then i'm there.

Also i guy locally sells chokes, it's 10H but dcr is higher, 270ohm /90mA. Its very cheap (brand Triad) 20 bucks. Or should i order overseas?

Have no clue why it have to around 100ohms....? Just because res is that? Can we really trust this design i'm thinking?

And is it possible to burn of some gain using 100k as leakres instead of 1M i have now? Seems that gain is so high compared now with original 10k

That choke will work great.

For gain you really don't have a lot of options. the gain of your tubes is 36 which is pretty high. With the circuit functioning properly your simple option is to swap tubes to a lower gain tube like 6n6p or 6cg7 which will work with your current setup of 250r on the cathode. these have a gain of 20 which might work better.

I would not advise running the circuit sub optimal to reduce gain.

You are not running capacitors on the cathodes of the bottom sections are you?

I don't think there is minimum for choke, just maximum current.

Bypassing the cathode resistor with a capacitor on the bottom triode will increase gain a little...but since your circuit does not use one then that is not an option.

What I mean by sub optimal is that you finally have the tubes operating as intended in the srpp circuit. If the gain is too high then you should use different tubes with lower gain.

I am not sure lowering the leak resistors will reduce your gain and might have a negative effect on the circuit. Having said that it only costs you time now to experiment so go for it.

A good arrangement might look like
CLCRC with first C being Film cap, Choke, ~40uF worth of capacitance, 10K R, ~40uF worth of capacitance.

If it were me I would start with good quality electrolytics like Nichicon VZ or PW series. 47uF is plenty, you could go to 100uF for the third "C".

The first cap a film? How big? Before the choke? You mean last one a bit bigger like 100uf?

Today i got my choke. Just installed it but not listened yet. Also changed cathode resistors to 150ohms.

Also a bunch of MKPs for PSU came in from Germany. Not installed yet.

Strange this, get a reading of 0,46 vs 0,50v but how do i calculate mA of that? Cus when i do it i get a lower value then with 180ohm ??? :confused:

Like i said, mathematics is NOT my strong side:D

hmmm it sounds nice with a choke.. more separation, details and openness in midrange. Like it. Good upgrade and cheap price.

BUT now i have some kind of "hizz" in tweeter i've not heard before. Annoying.

So now there is first (little) hum and then this hizz high up in freq!? Don't understand? everything is same as before.

What is your b+ now? You might need to adjust that 5k resistor a little to increase b+.

You are dropping voltage as you run more current through the tubes and your choke is 270 ohm versus the 100 ohm resistor you had there before.

Your new psu caps will have an effect too.

Like 1V or so across choke/2,2k?

Just to be sure, same setting as measuring cathode res?

Does this make any sense; i keep lowering dropping res till i can get 0,75v (over cathode) then it should be 5mA over cathode with existing 150ohm res. Just an own calculation hehe;)

Ok but i will do as you said but it have to be tomorrow. Thx!

Actually come to think of it just measure across the dropping resistor, not the choke.

Be careful not to run the tubes too hot, seems that you had it running nicely with the 180 ohm resistor.

I wouldnt tackle tweaking the PSU until you get the B+, cathode currents, and sound where you are happy with it. Then do the capacitor swap on the PSU.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.