My first front and rear horn loaded fullrange design: help needed from The Wise.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Scottmoose,

Much easier to follow (& a pleasent read in its own right) is Dinsdale's article, which you'll find here: http://www.volvotreter.de/dl-section.htm

What a fine reading! :)

Now I believe my intuitive bass horn is more like an hyperbolic one :(
He recommends even smaller throats than mine, but I do need to calculate the chamber volume not to overweight the midbass.

One of the horn drawings (2ºpart) is very similar to my last "center block" diagram ;) to which can be attached the lateral expansions to end with a monster mouth :devilr:

Though he praises the "one driver-two horns" concept, finally he uses 3 drivers for his "no compromise" speaker.
I think I am on the right track :cool: and one of the strong points of my (Tannoy's, in fact) idea is the coaxial expansion of all frequencies ;)

Cheers,
M
Dedicated to the search, too :D

PS: I wish I had a basement for a real BIG front/rear horn system

I guess this is the right place to post this...

Copied from my Autograph thread:

Look. This is a "transformer-like" evolution of the Autograph, but which can be placed anywhere (not corner loaded, in principle). The good quality plywood sheets measure here 2.2*1.2m, so I guess 2.2m is the height and 60cm the depth... We need three of these to make the core. This is a folded rear horn, split in two, mirrored horns: one goes down and the other goes up
A hole must be done in the panel to allow the horn to be completed.

The front horn is not indispensable, given the driver. Absence of front horn (present speaker with only lower bass horn) makes the speaker disappear, litterally.
I will chose AN super10, so the front horn will be there, probably.

In fact, it can be made to accomodate corner placement IF: the final shape of the bass horn has a 90° base AND we make the compression chamber connect to the throat in an angle that allows the driver to face listening position! Yeah! That would be cool.
The schematics more or less show that option.

Attachments

• MAXLORENZ FRONT AND REAR HORN LOADED.jpg
    MAXLORENZ FRONT AND REAR HORN LOADED.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 312
Last edited:
Thank you, dear.

I can even design an air tight system to articulate and pivot the compression chamber-driver-front horn complex to the desired angle, with respect to the throat of the rear/bass horn. :cool:

I could prolong the upper bass horn to reach the roof, at 2,4m...as rooms have 8 corners, not 4...

First, I am going to modify the existing little speaker to accomodate another bass horn in mirror image and see what happens.

I need my vacation. :(

Cheers,
M.

First step: build new boxes/chambers for the AN super10 and fit them into my existing rear horn loaded prototype.

Step two will be building the upper rear horn.

Step three will be building the whole new double rear bass horns, as showed on the previous diagrams.

Step four will be building the front horn for the medium frequencies.

I tell you, knowing these kind of speakers for a while, I cannot imagine how anybody could be satisfied with its sound unless one uses the front and rear horn loaded horns to increase midrange and bass, for they are very HF prominent...without using corrective passive circuit, that is...what is the point of using a full range driver if we will use some electronic components between amp and speaker anyway?

Attachments

• DSC09644.jpg
    DSC09644.jpg
    735.5 KB · Views: 214
Hmm, the longer it is, the greater its delay, so at some point it's response will have an audible echo same as occurred with the original W.E. and others multi-way compression horn systems until Altec began using truncated [mid]bass horns after WWII.

GM

The big theaters I've experienced don't have any obvious speech intelligibility issues, while a too long horn will, but to each his own. In your case then, the longest practical horn will be ~Fs*effective Qes/2.

Good luck with it! I look forward to what you wind up with.

GM

I've favorites too - Pertile on the old T.A.P. 33 label (-"O' Paradiso") close to 50 years ago was the first I heard him. Taccani was exciting too. Kraus was great - I love tenors Del Monaco, Kozlovsky, Nelepp - Lisitsian for baritone - many more - too much - would have to live 1000 years to take it all in - BEST!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.