My first ever Zen amp.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Peter,

Thank you very much for all your ideas on chassis building. Even little ones ..... like using broom stick (I know you use aluminium!) and cut it to make amplifier feet! That is what I did for my Aleph 2 because I can't seem to find the feet anywhere!

HPotter
you are nothing shorter than an artist in creating the layouts of your chassis(es??) but don't tell me that you use the three machines you show in the picture on the other thread to make that! How do you edge out the plates and the bars without a mill or make holes such as the ones in the plate for the CD mechanism?
If not, maybe Nelson should think about hiring you, god knows what you could do with the proper tools!

Grataku,
I have already asked about how he made such nice square/rectangular holes. I believe he has another machine out in the patio area (I saw grass) that you can check out the photos, somewhere in this thread. Don't ask me to search for it .... I can't find anything with the search feature!

Some people think that if the part is big or complicated some kind of machine had to be used to make to a shape. It is true whe you want to make it fast, but almost anything can be done with simple hand tools. Look at the pyramids in Egypt.;)
The bars I can cut on band saw, but I preffer circular saw and in the thread http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3981&highlight=useful+tools I show how to use it for that purpose. The opening for CD transport in composite material was cut out with jig saw and then brought to final finish with a router mounted to a table. I recently started to use a router also on aluminum and so far it was succesfull. I don't want to invest in milling machine, because I didn't have a need for it yet.
Check the following thread for my first work http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=42932#post42932. At that time I was livingin an apartment with my parents and did everything in a kitchen. Not bad, isn't it?;)

Well, I'm impressed!

I am for sure very impressed with your work.

Pictures and descriptions like yours are very encouraging for me. My amps so far, a Leach Amp and a half way finished Aleph 30, are built in my apartment, using only hand tools. Sometimes it is very frustrating not to have access to a workshop.

When I see what other people have done in their basements or in their living rooms, I get that extra kick to finish my stuff. Most of the time when a project ends up half way done in the closet, it is just a matter of "getting the thumb out".

More pictures, please!!! And more cool tricks and tips!

Best regards,
//magnus

Well, as green on envy as i feel right now ;) , i have to agree with HPotter; you can do A LOT with basic tools and a bit of patience. I never needed more than a bench drill, a couple of saws, an x-acto blade knife and assorted sandpaper to make nice metallic enclosures. It's just a matter of patience...

I guess you are right. I wasn't sure myself but didn't bother to check.;)

Attachments

• ze.jpg
    ze.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 744
Re:Hpotter

I have been looking at some of the work you have done Hpotter, very nice, very nice indeed. I like the clean macined lines and the effort you took to chamfer and deburr even the interior chasiss rails.

I noticed you are a fan of "Order" construction with your electricals. I myself am a fan of "Chaos" construction for electrical work, this is based on the theory of sympathetic resonance. If the signal pathways are all paralled and bundled together they become more like an antenna for inteference. Where as, if you route your wires perpindiculaly, leaving very narrow cross sections, noise is less likely to be induced into the signal path.

:confused: I agree it sounds like voodoo magic, but I have successfully eliminated some sources of hum this way on ocassion. This theory is not applicable to Digital signals and multi core conductors as much as it is in point to point connections with a single conductor.

Regards

Anthony

My recent constructions are also more into "chaos", especially when I started to do everything with p2p wiring. The early ones were indeed aesthetically pleasing and my attention was directed more into nice looks and "order".
Now my major principles are: as short as possible signal paths (even if the whole preamp would be mounted on input and output jacks), no source switching (because mostly I'm using one source anyway, and if I have to switch I can swtch cables), volume integrated with a source or amp, no PCBs (who needs them after all?;) ) and as good parts as possible (even $7 resistors).

My mechanical work still will be on "orderly" side because this is what gives me most satisfaction and what I know the best. I'm glad that now, thanks to this Forum, it can please not only me but many others (as well as providing the inspiration). Thank you.:)

I liked Active Surplus years ago better than now. It's still good for oddball items and some caps, if you lucky you might find a nice chassis, but no good heat sinks anymore. Recently I saw there 2u Wima caps at $2. There is a Chinese store nearby called Supertronic and it's the best place for Alps pots, Plitron transformers and good selection of semiconductors and resistors if you use generic stuff. Lots of cheap connectors too. My other favourite is Sayal at Matheson & Dixie (I live in Mississauga). They increase their inventory lately and you can find almost anything there, especially good caps, power resistors, switches, connectors, fasteners, etc. Beside it is Active Components and it's the best source for quality resistors (they stock Dale used by Madrigal), although selection isn't great.
As to metal suplies I use Access Metal Service (905-629-3151) with locations across GTA.
When it comes to serious orders I use Digi-Key with next day delivery for $8.
And don't underestimate Home Depot (good source for aluminum extrusions, fasteners and who knows what else;) ).

That's a sad thing I didn't finish it yet. To tell the truth my main effort then was to show that it could easily be done with p2p wiring. As you noticed I started CD project after I posted one complete channel. I was thinking that maybe I should do the player first and having my ultimate CD transport it would be easier for me to voice the amp. Then, two weeks ago I got contract with Bombardier Aerospace in Montreal and was gone for 2 weeks. Came back now for three weeks because of the shut down, but on Tuesday I broke my collar bone while roller skating. Should I say more?:(
What I can do now is surf the net and post maybe more pictures;), but I think I'll be able to do something after a week.
Both projects are very exciting and I await completing them with anticipation. I waited a bit with the amp also, because new ideas and mods were appearing almost every day in the beginning. I also made a pair of Aleph 5 monoblocks in the meantime, because I wanted to have a reference when I'd do GAX.
I wonder if Harry finished his. After all, 4th of July is well past behind us.;)

Well, I am sitting at my workbench wiring up an ILP Amp module in a Mono chasiss just for fun. I already have a stereo pair I finished 2 weeks ago, I will be looping them in with a Sony DD Decoder/Preamp and a Pioneer DIS 120 Watt receiver to get 5 x 120 Watt Home theatre in my Den just for kicks.

I am chatting with other DIY'ers on my computer behind me at the same time, and I just got a great lead for my long awaited CD Player project.

Yeah, I am having a good Day. :D

Regards

Anthony

Re: Bill Gates

Actually it is a Bill Gates impersonator who I ran into a little while ago, we went to the same high school.

Did you hear Chrysler was working with Microsoft to develop a windows based operating system for Gui heads up displays in thier new model cars?

They had to abandon the project when the test vehicles would only restart after shutting everything off and rolling down the windows first!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.