My first chip amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
soundNERD said:
is there an adantage of an attenuator voume control over a standard pot??

-Mike

Hello ..

wow, that's a nicely done amp ...

I have a question about the volume control. Does that attenuator thing control both channels at the same time?

If I use two separate pots (one for each channel) then it's difficult to control the balance ....

Thanks for the comments! I am really excited about the work being this my first real electrical project.

Nuuk, are you referring to the opening in the front of the case? If so, it is just an opening that I think Brian had intended to use for his controller screen. He is lending me the case until I finish mine.

Yes, the attenuator does control both channels. It is pretty cool. The only thing that is quirky about it in my opinion is that it seems to be a voltage divider so you get a little bit of noise as you switch between volume clicks.

I am sure someone else can explain that a little better than me ;)

You can probably get rid of that noise by adding a 100k or so resistor between the amp input pin and gnd. what happens is when there is no connection at all between the input and gnd there is a buzz in the amp. resistor fixes that.

how are digital volume controls? I have that one from maxim that uses pushbuttons. do they sound better than a pot or attenuator?

-Mike

ENIGMA said:
Yes, the attenuator does control both channels. It is pretty cool. The only thing that is quirky about it in my opinion is that it seems to be a voltage divider so you get a little bit of noise as you switch between volume clicks.

That's cool ... can you please let me know where I can get those and how much are they?

Thanks!!! :cheerful:

Retired diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2002
The chassis was designed for relay based volume control with a digital front end. Here is a picture of the chassis, with the volume control front end board.

The jacks on the back are Cardas, which you can order now from the group order taking place, organized by Rodd Yamash*ta. I got mine last year during the order.

--
Brian

Joined 2002
looks like I skipped the picture...

--
Brian

Attachments

• dgc.jpg
    dgc.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 1,124
ENIGMA said:

I am sure someone else can explain that a little better than me ;)

Nice work!

I think that it isn't MBB type.
Mine is very cheap MBB switch and works wonderfully. No clicks/cracks at all.

/Greg

It is MBB, and I will try blasting it with contact cleaner this evening.

One reason that I like to use the switch mech/wafer designs is that they are quite easy to clean with a cotton bud dipped in isopropyl alcohol.

And let's clear up one thing for any newbies reading this. MBB (make-before-break) switches (also known as shorting types) are mandatory for attenuators. The other type (break-before-make or non-shorting) will result in pops and clicks when you change volume. ;)

Nice work, much better than my first attempt.

BTW, not sure if its relavent to your name, but I own all the Enigma albums, Michael Cretu is so freakin creative, I even have The Invisble Man. I have pretty much bought the last 3 albums and that Invisible Man on faith, and every time I am very much surprised at the freshness. :up:

Joined 2002
This is the same circuit that will be used with the group order. You can thank Eric (enigma) for getting me to actually take time to listen to the gainclone, and motivate me to organize a group order for others.

I helped him finish this and am letting him borrow my chassis (with power supply), and volume control until he makes his own chassis.

This thing sounds great. I hauled my Seas Thor TL speakers into lab and listened along with my cdpro2 that I am working on. This amplifier sounds great, and really kills my Leach amp.

--
Brian

Attachments

• lab.jpg
    lab.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 905
phugger said:
I'm planning to build my first gainclone amp on perfboard. For the wiring, is there any danger in using thin wire? I've built a couple headphone amps, and I've always used 26AWG wire.

24AWG can handle maybe four amps when used for chassis wiring (meaning short runs, maybe 4 to 6 inches). I have used wire from a length of Cat5 (also 24AWG) for a few GCs without any problem at all.

I would think you would be OK with 26 if you didn't have any long runs. Also don't use it to run power from a separate power supply case, get something at least around 22 or even 20 for that.

Joined 2002
heh.. funny to see this thread. This prototype from Eric (ENIGMA) was based off one of my earlier amps, my first NI LM3875 amp, and this spawned the the idea for a pcb layout :) I forgot that this has been 1 year already

I use 18ga for my power wires and 24ga for signal wires.

--
Brian

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.