My first amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
GRollins

Thanks for the link but tortello provided the file immediately upon request (must be the ubiquity of espresso in the Italian diet) but since you have made yourself available, I do have some questions.

I have just garnered 12" x 11" heatsinks with 32 1.25" fins and plan to build your Aleph-X circuit (with due accolades to Mr. Pass) in a 200W monoblock version. I am looking at 33kuF -10 75%40VDC 60V surge 85°C caps for the power supply and would like to know if they would be suitable being backed up by a 1.5kVA 60-0-60 toroid. What is the maximum bias I could use with these caps and what would be the expected heat dissipation with that bias?

As far as mounting the mosfets, do I mount them as high up on the heatsinks as I can to create the greatest thermo differential and induce maximum airflow through the fins or mount them slightly lower to get a greater conductive surface mass?

As for the aforementioned caps, will they be fast enough or will a larger quantity of smaller units sound better? I was planning on using 133kuF of capacitance so at what point does the parasitic inductance become a problem when using a smaller value parallel capacitor network? Would 24 x 5.6kuF 63V caps in parallel really sound better than 4 x 33kuF 40V caps in parallel?

Finally, if you were interested in the latest developments in the "nania audio power theory", the theory will be put on the back burner until I can get more sensitive instruments. I am planning on going back to the original thread to edit it. Upon my rereading the opening statement, I can understand why it became the object of so much derision. As always, I thank you in advance for your valued responses.

nania said:
GRollins

I have just garnered 12" x 11" heatsinks with 32 1.25" fins and plan to build your Aleph-X circuit (with due accolades to Mr. Pass) in a 200W monoblock version. I am looking at 33kuF -10 75%40VDC 60V surge 85°C caps for the power supply and would like to know if they would be suitable being backed up by a 1.5kVA 60-0-60 toroid. What is the maximum bias I could use with these caps and what would be the expected heat dissipation with that bias?

I guess for 200W monos you need around +/- 40VDC, so your transformer is not suitable as well as caps.

Sorry but I made a mistake. For 200W monos the rails would be around 32V DC, so your caps are OK. AC voltage on transformer should be DC devided by 1.25 so its around 26-0-26. It may be hard to get 1.5k transformer with that voltage of the shelf, so custom order is recommended.
For 100W rails are 19V and transformer would be 15-0-15 secondaries.

Peter Daniel

Why would I need to change the wire size if all I am doing is going from 60V secondaries to 32V??? The main windings will (hopefully) stay put and remain in position, all that I would need to do is move the "contact point" of the secondary. Is this not so?

I guess to keep the wattage of transformer with less voltage you need more current, so probably thicker wire. But I'm not expert on transformers so can't really comment. One way would be connecting primaries in series to obtain half of secondary, but I don't know how it would work either. The best way is to contact Plitron technical dept. and ask them.;)

Re: 1972

In 1972 I was building my first solidstate circuit for Texpo held by Humber College. It was an up/down binary counter based on an early 4000 processor. You entered the Data with a series of 8 switches flipped the run/accumalate switch and the answer (add + subtract only) would read out in binary on a display of 8 LED's, which you then would convert to Hex. Like 0001 + 0001 + 0010.
One plus One = Two :)

Ahh those were the days.

Anthony

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.