My F5 Lives!!!!!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The high end is softened and less detailed and lacks the sparkle of my gainclone. If I could restore this sparkle and detail without any accompanying glare this would take the F5 up a notch for me.

If it's a stock F5, you may improve it by removing current limiting circuitry.

Attachments

• f5 simplified schematic-no.jpg
    f5 simplified schematic-no.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 363
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Two updates. After a brief investigation the lack of power seems to be my preamp. More on that soon.

As for the lack of sparkle. For the last couple of years I had a series of 'bright' amps so I toned down the HP crossover on my line arrays. I may look at reversing those changes to see if it helps my F5.

None of my line array pics have my F5 in it. New pics of my F5 soon.

Regards,
Dan :)

Joined 2002
Paid Member
If it's a stock F5, you may improve it by removing current limiting circuitry.

This is the circuit I built. I didn't realize I could eliminate R7 and R8. I didn't measure voltage drop across R3 and R4. I just made sure the Vdrop across R11 and R12 was 600mV and DC offset on the output was near zero.

Regards,

PDF5.jpg

Last edited:
Joined 2004
Paid Member
IME sparkle, shimmer, sizzle, etc are undesirable and suggest distortion or noise. The cleaner my top end has become, the 'darker' and 'richer' overall the sound has become, while the treble is smoother and more delicate and revealing than ever, and the sound also has better micro dynamics, making it sound louder and more explosive at the same volume setting as previously -- like live sounds.

(A couple of weeks ago, I went from CRC to CLC on my class AB amp and cannot believe the improvement everywhere....!)

IME sparkle, shimmer, sizzle, etc are undesirable and suggest distortion or noise. The cleaner my top end has become, the 'darker' and 'richer' overall the sound has become, while the treble is smoother and more delicate and revealing than ever, and the sound also has better micro dynamics, making it sound louder and more explosive at the same volume setting as previously -- like live sounds.

(A couple of weeks ago, I went from CRC to CLC on my class AB amp and cannot believe the improvement everywhere....!)

Which amp ....? Differences noted ? CLC values would be appreciated ....

After.....a few hours.....I realized I was running out of power.

My wife said the very same thing to me last night in the boudoir..... Should I be concerned, or can I just consider this to be a function of my advanced age???? Ta-da-boom....! :D

On a different note, I'd recommend you give the F5 a little more time to "mellow in". I know mine took a good 15-25 hours before I fully enjoyed its nuances.

This is the circuit I built. I didn't realize I could eliminate R7 and R8. I didn't measure voltage drop across R3 and R4. I just made sure the Vdrop across R11 and R12 was 600mV and DC offset on the output was near zero.

Regards,

PDF5.jpg

R5 & R7 are paralleled so they are equal to a single 50 ohm resistor. If using a single resistor, use 5W. A single 100 ohm resistor as in the schematic Peter Daniel shows would reduce feedback/increase gain and have a little warmer sound (probably the opposite of what you want if you are looking for a shinier top end)

Joined 2002
Paid Member
My wife said the very same thing to me last night in the boudoir..... Should I be concerned, or can I just consider this to be a function of my advanced age???? Ta-da-boom....! :D

On a different note, I'd recommend you give the F5 a little more time to "mellow in". I know mine took a good 15-25 hours before I fully enjoyed its nuances.

I'll leave running for a couple of days at low volume to see if that helps. At the very least it'll warm up my basement. :eek:

Regards,
Dan

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Pictures as requested. The first pic is of my DIY heaven. The Shigaclone on top of Pedja Rogic's DIY AYA III DAC. My compromise to hometheater is my Anthem D2 Preamp/Processor above my recently fired up F5. As mentioned in an earlier post this system feeds my DIY line arrays designed by Rick Craig of Selah Audio.

F5A.jpg

Pics of my F5 with some cosmetic stuff still to be done.
F5B.jpg

F5C.jpg

F5D.jpg

Regards,

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.