• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

My experience building a DRD d3A/300B amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi G,

It is pretty simple, you just need a couple of LM1084 a few resitors and capacitors.
A current regulated supply is indeed real easy ( just set the LM317/LT/LM1084/5 at the current that a tube runs at..et voila. )

a Tube heater apparently does not "like" a low impedance supply (voltage regulator) and a current reg is apparently a high impedance supply.

But Guido Tent's is not "just" a current regulator. I think it can be described as a voltage regulated current regulator.:D And somehow Guido's heater supply is not just a voltage regulator followed by a current regulator...(which I could do as well :))

Don't ask me specifics..I just work here.;)

About the "DRD" circuit, there's a variant which is "stacked". Each stage has its own power supply, and latter stage is stacked on the previous stage.

Here is a very interesting & magnificent sample-- Axiom 300B.

And my own 300B amp was purchased locally in Taiwan & it's in a similar construction with 6C45 driver (so it's only 2 stages).

This amp is produced by Colin Sound Lab, with 2 power supplies for output & driver stage individually. Each power supply is LCLC.

This is the best sounding 300B circuit I've ever listened to.

PS. The Colin Sound Lab link above is in Chinese, may not be displayed properly in your browser. Anyway, some pictures at least:D

Re: Guido Tent's?

Konnichiwa,

Gluca said:
Yes, that one. It is pretty simple, you just need a couple of LM1084 a few resitors and capacitors. I believe there is a schematic somewhere on diyaudio.

The simple LM1085 et al CCS needs adjusting for every change of valve. Gets tiring with time. The Tentlabs supply uses a discrete CCS adjusted to get the voltage across the valve heater correct using a very slow averaged feedback loop.

Sayonara

As usual Tent's products are brilliant ... I studied so long his DAC ... nevertheless I believe ligas (and myself as well) can just try and get a few parts together to see if the amp sounds better heated with DC current (to his ears). DIY is just that, isn't it?

Ciao
Gianluca

Konnichiwa,

Gluca said:
nevertheless I believe ligas (and myself as well) can just try and get a few parts together to see if the amp sounds better heated with DC current (to his ears). DIY is just that, isn't it?

Yup, by all means try. That said, I did and LC filtered Heaters sound better to my ears than single chip (LT1085) CCS heaters with CMC filtering.

The Tent Labs supply is probably a better choice.

Sayonara

CLS said:
About the "DRD" circuit, there's a variant which is "stacked". Each stage has its own power supply, and latter stage is stacked on the previous stage.

Here is a very interesting & magnificent sample-- Axiom 300B.

And my own 300B amp was purchased locally in Taiwan & it's in a similar construction with 6C45 driver (so it's only 2 stages).

This amp is produced by Colin Sound Lab, with 2 power supplies for output & driver stage individually. Each power supply is LCLC.

This is the best sounding 300B circuit I've ever listened to.

PS. The Colin Sound Lab link above is in Chinese, may not be displayed properly in your browser. Anyway, some pictures at least:D

Well, I'm curious about the tone arm bearing shown at that site. It looks like some type of air bearing?

Sheldon

Konnichiwa,

CLS said:

Yes, I have build a few SE Amp's based on that principle.

I normally do not recommend these type of circuits for people without a significant level of practical experience with Amplifiers. As a result I never published formally any of these projects (I have published schematics though in limited circulation), they look very easy and as a result attract beginners, but the risk of blowing a bunch of WE 300B's to kingdom come is very real and rather high.

The only advantage of the split supply over the single supply DRD/Monkey is that less heat is dissipated in all other terms the "Full Monkey" is as good or better on all counts as the split supply solution.

The difference between Elliano DRD and the "Full Monkey" circuit BTW (and yes, I claim the origin of the Monkey Circuit, Brian "Semper Musica" Clark named it after the "Monkey on a stick" toy long ago on the Joenet) is in two core enhancements of the latter over the first, 1) the use of the whole supply current to provide the bias for the driver (which also adds some PFB at DC thus avoiding the pinch off of anodic current in the output valve when distortion goes up, equalling a fixed bias solution in that area) and 2) the "WE Style" decoupling of the cathode of the driver.

Sayonara

Hi all,

Originally posted by Gluca
nevertheless I believe ligas (and myself as well) can just try and get a few parts together to see if the amp sounds better heated with DC current (to his ears). DIY is just that, isn't it?

I am indeed intrigued about Guido's supply. I might try get a pair of them to do an A/B comparison.

Originally posted by Kuei Yang Wang
Yes, I have build a few SE Amp's based on that principle. The only advantage of the split supply over the single supply DRD/Monkey is that less heat is dissipated

Which would allow an easier way of providing B+ for all of the high power Emmision Labs, Vaic tubes. Honestly, that's something that I would like to try on the future.

I remember that once Thorsten posted something in this same forum about an amp that he was thinking of building, an amp that should bear a badge that says "Beware it kicks butt" in your own words...

It was something like a 2 stages, stacked supplies, the first stage providing adjustable bias for the 2nd with capability to switch output and input valve types to suit.

Did you finally realize the idea?

Sheldon said:

Well, I'm curious about the tone arm bearing shown at that site. ...

Sorry I don't know.
I'm not familiar with his turntable-related products. (Sadly, I've lost contact with LP in my lost teenage years :( )

According to the text, it's similar to a single point design but not exatly..... It's probably a prototype AFAIK....

Why not contact him directly by " colin.audio@msa.hinet.net " if you like.

Clamps

Hi Luis

Very nice work on that amp! Congratulations!

I have one question, a pretty simple (even a bit stupid) one. How did you fix the clamps (holding the capacitors) to the chassis? I ask because I also want to you the kind of clamps you are using, simply because they are cheap (for the Dutch amongst us, 1 euro for 8 pieces at Wibra).

Erik

To ligascon,

The one I have is a comercial product.

Although I've traced down the circuit & also modified it somewhat to fit my own taste, it's still a comercial item. So I think it's improper to post the schematics here without the permission of the designer. Sorry:(

Actually it's very similar to the Axiom metioned above.

The Axiom's circuit seems very complicated only because there're many damping diodes. If you replace those diodes with proper resistors, the whole circuit would be much "cleaner" :D

And the Axiom is 3-stage, while the one from Colin Sound Lab is 2-stage. Other than these, they are indeed very similar.

Hola Luis,

Congratullations for your great amp! and thanks for sharing your experience.

I've built a JE-Labs 300B and maybe in the future I'll try to upgrade it to this circuit.

Did you build yourself the cabinet for the supravox speakers? I am searching for good high efficiency speakers for my amp, but I still haven't find them in Barcelona.

Saludos :)

Manuel

Hi,

Thanks anyway CLS, I totally understand.

Originally posted by ErikdeBest
How did you fix the clamps

Well, I used a not very elegant solution that is proving effective so far...I fixed the clamp with epoxy first, letting it dry. Then I snapped the capacitors.

Originally posted by pingfloid
Did you build yourself the cabinet for the supravox speakers?

I have the Supravox 215-2000 EXC on an open baffle which is basically a flat panel of 105*65 cm 22mm birch. Works great, with decent bass extension on my small listening space. If you live in Barcelona we can arrange it so you can come to listen to them.

Thanks all!

Luis

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.