• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

My ES9018 DAC/Amp/Controller..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Everybody,

Just to let everybody know that I'm putting together several board level diagrams illustrating each set up, from the simplest to the most advanced. I started working on it last night. I think the diagrams will answer many of the questions I've been getting. I apologize for all the confusion. I'll do my best to clear things up.

Best regards,

Al

All things in perspective...

Hiya Al,

No need to apologise for anything....You have done an astonishing job developing a modular system to fully exploit the vast potential of the ESS DAC.

Once folks fully grasp what you have developed and post their reviews ( this will take a few months) I bet you will have a que at your door, DIY guys wanting to buy, plus commercial guys wanting to hire you!

Even although I am focused on finding a much simpler lower cost solution, (a small form mono board based DAC) I am tempted to buy one of your creations to act as reference design, the goal is then try and get 80% of the performance for 20% of the cost....Now that's going to be difficult!

Thanks again for being such a pioneer, I am in awe of your skills.
" Build it and they will come"

Cheers
Derek.
PS I have attached a couple of ideas for cool case work.

Attachments

• Conductor artist impression..jpg
    Conductor artist impression..jpg
    845.8 KB · Views: 645
  • 26 April 2008 026.jpg
    26 April 2008 026.jpg
    432.7 KB · Views: 615
Hi Al,

It seems to me that your device is what I'm looking for a stereo 3-way channels.
Do you have any graphics for your dac : THD+N, dynamic range, etc.
Also it would be nice to see on flowchart.
Indicated prices for dac look not too bad depending on the characteristics.

best regards
Sergey

Hi Sergey,

With the equipment I have I can only measure down to about 0.001% THD + N @1Khz with the noise floor down to about -120dB. When I tested my DAC, basically what I put in I got it. So THD + N should be at or below 0.001%, and the noise floor at or below -120dB. I'm currently searching for some high end equipment to get some real measurements but so far everything I've come up with is way to expensive. If you know of anything please let me know.

The diagrams I'm working on will clearly show how all the boards interconnect.

Best regards,

Al

Last edited:
Enclosures

....Love the enclosures. Did you machine them yourself?

Hi Al,

I did all the mechanical and industrial design and got all the alloy machined at a local company ( Micron Engineering) and the finishing at another firm, cant remember where!
I based the principal on the beautiful loudspeaker stands made by Sistrum
SP-101

This Sistrum technology really works, it was an astonishing upgrade when I used them with my loudspeakers and also a great improvement when the electronics were installed in the Sistrum principal casework Vs a plain alloy box for testing.

Cheers
Derek.

Attachments

• 2006_0507Image0048.jpg
    2006_0507Image0048.jpg
    657.3 KB · Views: 549
I'm currently searching for some high end equipment to get some real measurements but so far everything I've come up with is way to expensive. If you know of anything please let me know.

Hi AL,

Lazy Cat uses a SB ZxR + ARTA for measuring his new amp The First One.
The SB ZxR has 124db snr, another option is the ASUS Xonar Essence also 124db snr.

Regards,
Danny

Hi Everybody,

Attached are a couple files that I think are pretty self explanatory. I hope the files help paint a clearer picture on how everything pieces together.

The first file shows all the boards listed on the price list, except the power supplies and the dual-mono data fan-out board for dual-mono applications. The dual-mono setup is illustrated in the setups file. The PCB pics are not to scale.

The second file shows a simple top view of four different setups from S/PDIF only to Dual-Mono so you get a good idea on how things flow. I've shown four setups but I'm barely scratching the surface on all the possibilities.

Please take a look at the two files and let me know if you have any questions. If you have any issues with the pricing please let know. I really want everybody whose been patiently waiting to get in on the initial run.

Best regards,

Al

Attachments

• All_Boards.jpg
    All_Boards.jpg
    416 KB · Views: 502
  • Set_Ups.jpg
    Set_Ups.jpg
    563.8 KB · Views: 508
Last edited:
Hello Al, will I need the "controller board" if my preference for volume control would be from the player (don't know exactly how this works, but on my iPad app that drives the MPD player there is a volume control and I'l like to use that).

So for a 6 channel configuration I will need the DAC board (+ controller board?)
plus three I2S boards (will I need the SPDIF board as well ??) plus 3 I/V-AMP boards, plus power supply and enclosure.
Correct ??

Thanks, Alex

Hi Alex,

For three I2S inputs all you need is one DAC, and three I/V-Amp2 boards. There's need for the I/V-Amp1 since there's only one DAC/Channel. The I/V-Amp2 is also cheaper. I'll get you the price this week. There's also no need for the S/PDIF or I2S/DSD board. The three I2S signals can connect directly to the DAC board as long as the I2S cables are about 10cm in length or less. There's no need for the controller or OLED, and input switch board unless you need a power switch. But I could connect a single momentary switch directly to the MCU header. It will take some firmware changes but i can do it for you.

If you're interested with this set up, let me know. I'll put you on the list. I believe you're already on it and will kick off the group buy.

My target is 25 to 50 diyAudio members to complete the group buy.

Best regards,

Al

Thanks Al...you wrote "There's need for the I/V-Amp1"...did you mean "There's NO need for the I/V-Amp1" ??

I'm definitely interested, I need to understand exactly how much it will cost my configuration...but, besides the price, it seems exactly what I need.

Thank you, Alex

Hi Alex,

I meant there's no need for Amp1. The BOM for I/V-Amp2 is almost complete so I'll have the total price for you sometime this week. I'll add an additional 10% discount for I/V-Amp2 since you're ordering more than one board.

Thanks for the interest.

Al

Hi Al
I have (quite) a few questions.
DOes the DAC board seriously have 12 regulators??
I was just looking at your connection diagram. It doesn't show the I/V boards. Could you explain the difference in the AMP1 and AMP2 boards? SInce I will not require balanced outputs, are the I/V boards available without all those extra (expensive) components?
Will all the complete boards be available for separate purchase?

I am still interested in your DAC. The main attraction for me is the implementation of the volume controls, and the fact that you make all 8 channels available at the outputs. I also appreciate your "no holes barred" design approach. The sticking point for me is the extra cost of the I/V stages at 3x $275. An 8 channel single ended I/V board at $275 would be fine for me.:)

Jeremy

Hi 2channel,

Of course there's 12 regulators including the series regulators for AVCC for both channels. Not sure why you would question it? The difference between Amp1 and Amp2 is listed in the price list. Amp2 will cheaper by about $50/board maybe less. No, I can't remove components for SE only.

As far as the price of Amp1 it's $247.50 with the 10% discount. I'll add another 10% off if more than one is ordered, it brings the price down to $220.00/board. The same discount for more than one applies to the DAC and Amp2 also.

Best regards,

Al

Hi
I wasn't really questioning the regulators. I guess I am just trying to get my head around your implementation of the circuits. I think most DIYers on this site have some knowledge of circuits, and hence like to know the details of what they are getting. Schematics then make things very clear.

It is hard not to compare your DAC against the Buffalo III which is almost half the cost in my application. This comparison would be easy if details of your design were a bit more forthcoming. Twisted Pear on the other hand have been very transparent with what they are selling.

I am sure your design does bring extra to the table, but you might need to talk up its merits a bit. Some schematics, measurements or testimonials would definitely help explain the differences between your DAC and other kits. Right now, spending the extra money is a bit of a 'leap of faith'. So some more specific info would be great.

Jeremy

Hi Jeremy,

You can't compare what I'm doing with TP. They sell individual boards, and the customer has to build the rest. I'm selling complete units customized to customer requirements. The time it takes me to assemble and test a complete unit is covered in the cost of the boards. No additional charge except the cost of the enclosure, and connectors. The enclosure comes with pre-drilled holes for future expansion. The customer can start with the simplest set up like S/PDIF inputs with one DAC, and than scale up to two DACs in dual-mono with both S/PDIF and I2S/DSD inputs easily and cleanly without a wiring mess. The firmware supports every application with a simple push of a button.

What I'm doing is completely unique.

Best regards,

Al

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.