My diy subwoofer "Dominator"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I recently finished my Diy subwoofer project, I dont know all the Theories that you all know, but knew some basic stuff, like enclosure pro's and cons and how to use winISD and some common sense and im no audiophile, Im realistic,

I made my Box in woodwork in college, It was a vented design, with a slot port, flared at the external end, it was duel 12" and the woofers got 90 litres to them selves, the baffle is 50mm thick, the back is 43mm thick with the rest of the walls being 25mm thick

I housed and glued 30mm dowel rods that spanned from left to right from bottem to top for bracing, 7 in total, and ribbed the vent and side walls with over kill amounts of hard wood,

The vent is tuned to roughly 23hz

heres a pic of the inside:

mainframe.jpg

The woofers were flushed mounted, the box was glued and screwed together with 50 - 80mm 8G screws and then counter sunk in and then body filled

after the box was together, I sprayed all the inside walls with, rubberized spray, which I read helps with killing some colouration

Heres a pic of it with baffle on and body filled with rubberized spray on inside:

18-07-06_1218.jpg

I used 2 woofers and they were "Alpine type R SWR-1242D"
The only reasons I bought these were rather high excursion, 18mm one way, very small vas and decent sensivity and looked pretty nice, oh and they were the only decent woofers on ebay, and price was alright, these subwoofers here cost $400 AU but I got 2 for $530 au posted to my door off ebay

The external dimensions of this box are 40cm wide x 50cm back x 95 cm high

I orded an O-audio 500 watt bash amplifier from america to power it, they changed all the needed stuff so it would work here

heres some pics of the drivers:

l500SWR1242-f.jpg

ALPINE-SWR-1242D-extra1_tw200_th200.jpg

Heres the completed picture in my room next to my AAD main speaker:

Newsubwoofer.jpg

I have fiddled with it in room and can get in room responces of 20 - 80hz +/- 2 db depending on where I put cross over, also I can get a clean 110 Db @ 10 hz in room of coarse, looks unbelivible and looks so smooth seeing the woofers move so far with no noise, also I can max out a radio shack spl meter at 40 - 60hz which is 126 db

and the thing is the O-audio amp is a 425 watt amp with low distortion, with limitors, so I cant over drive it

I just watched spiderman 2 today OMFG, the scene where the fusion core reactor powers on, so loud and clean

cant tell from the pics but I stuffed up the finish preety bad, I used acrylic gloss black finish and used a spray gun with a nozzle that was too small which was making the paint dry inside the nozzle and then sending it on my work which in parts gave it a slight sand paper look and feel, but no worries, this problem is minor and still fixable but even still, looks like a nice unit

overall this subwoofer + amp costed me $1200, and sounds, in spl , quality and extension terms, bloody awesome,

any questions or comments pls ask as I love talking and reading about this stuff

That's a serious box. I find it a little odd that you went with those subs rather than more ' hifi' oriented ones, but if it sounds how you want, that's what matters. No doubt you can achieve some pretty wild SPL with that.

Re: tuning the vent too low- I feel it's better to tune your vent very low in a ebs alignment, keeping the vent output down where it's felt more than heard, not to mention: better cone control REALLY low.

seriously that 110 db is in room and measured with a radio shack spl meter with corrections applied, I actually get 90db reading from the spl meter but I read every where that I have to apply a 20Db correction at 10hz, also that was corner loaded and approx 1 meter in center of box

here you can see:
http://www.users.bigpond.com/bcolliso/SPL-corrections.htm

also, I would have prefured to have used hi-fi home woofers rather than car woofers, but these were preety awesomely speced, and I did want adire audio tempest woofers but bloody the australian adire audio dealer never replied to my emails

The subwoofer weighs 75 Kgs and I love it, nearly no vibrations except at the highest volume levels and low frequencies, and because its so braced and damped, when you stick your ear on the sides, all sound from the woofer is nearly blocked, its crazy, i could say I have nearly eliminated cabinet resanance, but for sure some it still lives

about the rubberized spray, I read it some where but cant remember, but it stuck in my head to use on my next project which was this one, the spray is made for cars, for killing road noise under the car, its a rubber spray and I think works like this, it dosent let the rear wave shake the enclosure walls but instead shake and absorb into the rubber therefore not letting any more vibrations hit the wall, but I know the woofer movement can still affect it, but thats why my box is heavy

I can post more pics if wanted

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.