My DIY Horn setup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't quire figure out what's going on w your subs. I thought they were slobs or maybe I missed a post.

Any info on your choice of cones for the 515's? Curious minds want to know.

You missed some text, these were the prototype that I initially planned to have built, but I got other thoughts along the way.

The 515s are the "Classic" series with Alnico magnet assembly. I don't think there are any choices of different cones?

Last edited:
After a while i tried moving the stereo back to the other wall. This gave me a considerably flatter response and sounds way better.

A bit messy with a lot of cables, but no noise or hum anywhere.

Attachments

• 267221d1403640254-horny-kid-image.jpg
    267221d1403640254-horny-kid-image.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 1,199
As you can see in the previous picture, there is some room above the OBs in this position. I had ordered the woofers I needed for a solution with 6 drivers in each SLOB, but a fellow audio nerd commented on the extra height. I went back to the drawing board and made a sketch of the room and a higher SLOB to verify that I could actually make it work. And it fit!

The production drawings were sent to the cabinet maker and other vendors, and the wait had begun.

After a while, just before christmas, I recieved this picture via e-mail.

Attachments

• 20141217_085052.jpg
    20141217_085052.jpg
    277.9 KB · Views: 1,143
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Very, very nice

Mr PMA,

You have a beautiful system! 4-ways systems are the ticket to audio nirvana.
I especially like your mid-bass. Is there any way you could describe it, and the rest of the drivers/and/applications in more detail ?

Thanks in advance from another 4-way guy :)

Scott L.

Those SLOB's look diabolical! Like an ordinance package ready to be attached to the undercarriage of a military jet. But instead of delivering mass destruction, it delivers mass enjoyment.

I hope those windows are hurricane rated.

Attachments

• ordinance package.JPG
    ordinance package.JPG
    22.6 KB · Views: 857
Hey PMA! terrific system! Those 8+8 woofers make me drooooooool so badly. Couple questions here:

How did you deal with time alignment? Is it your DSP taking care of it?
And what about the tweeter position? It looks like it is 'much' higher than your ears level which is said to be the ideal, I am wondering if you tried different solutions and at the end you picked up this arrangement and distances between mid bass - mid - tweeter.

keep the pics coming, we are loving them

Status
Not open for further replies.