My DIY Aleph 5 is Alive!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Heat Transfer was an 8am class, so I failed it the first time (and got a D the next time - still 8am!). Now I leave it to the experts. And here's what they say.

Highlights:
"Will black anodize have a higher emmisivity than clear anodize? Yes; but not much, the emissivity of black anodize is about 0.86, its about 0.83 for clear. This is about the same as oil paint, any color. Heatsinks are anodized and dyed black for looks and corrosion resistance, not because it provides any useful improvement in cooling."

I was interested in this topic a few months ago and ran a Google search, but surprisingly I didn't find much practical info besides the above (or I stopped trying when I read that).

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Hmmm, I remember the difference in emmissivity being quite large - .9 vs .6....

I will look it up - maybe from the Eliott Sound Products Heat Transfer spreadsheet?

Heat Transfer, Fluid Dynamics and Thermodynamics were my favorite classes, so I was wide awake. Control Theory, not so much.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.