My dipole experiment

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well here's an update as I'm still working on my new speakers and still using these ones!

I always had slightly hollow/drum-link bass due I think to not adequately rolling off the upper bass. So I've used larger and larger inductors till it got about right.

The mid and bass drivers have been EnABLed, and the mid drivers have "electron pools" and home-made wooden phase plugs. With all the tweaks the little Audaxes finally don't sound so plasticky.

Attached is the current crossover, and they sound excellent for a cheap speaker!!

They did end up more complex than I ever wanted and I have traded off excitement and snap for a more balanced sounding response and full bass. They can play any type of music and sometimes shock with their dynamics. They're quite smooth sounding although the tweeters make some splashy sibilants sometimes... at least I think that is the tweeters!!

Simon

Attachments

• obschematic.png
    obschematic.png
    35.3 KB · Views: 455
Hi Simon,

Good to see you still progressing. Can't say the same for myself at the moment due to major redecorating changes here.

Quick thought regarding the treble.
You could try directly connecting a low value capacitor between the loudspeaker/ amplifier terminals and the negative terminal of the tweeter; ie. bypassing the 4.1uF and 8.2R at the highest frequencies only.

I would suggest starting with 0.47uF (470nF), trying lesser values like 330nF or even 220nF, and higher values like 0.68uF or 1.0uF. This can give an HF correction where the tweeter itself is falling off, and whilst only one value will be correct, a switch can be useful for different levels of reproduction and music type.

Cheers .......... Graham.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.