My "audiophile" LM3886 approach

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAhA ok got it, yeay, the simptoms also match with a blown speaker (non-related accident) but I remembered it nevertheless, got it hooked up the a small 1 inch 4ohm speaker, and yes I can hear it is very musical indeed... the bass lacks totaly due to the speaker size, yet it seems to have more realistic grain... wow didn't realy think the gainclone can get much better, omw listening to norah jones in mono now, and man is it like an angel singing.

GOOD JOB ALL !!!! and super praise to RUDI, Brian, Russ and Mauro for this wonderfull if nervewrecking experience... now to finish the case... oh well payday is close.

Nordic. Good to see your Amp is a goer.
My fun is yet to begin.

You have been too long with Gainclones, or like me ,a little weary and needing a rest. You will have to keep reminding yourself that Mauro's My Reference is NOT a Gainclone.
This is a new design, so we should give credit where it is due.

Cheers,

Audie.

OK got both channels hooked up to my proper speakers (well, not the QLN's yet), first impressions is that it certainly adds less colouration (too neutral, compared to what I'm used to) than the basic inverted lm3875, the other side of this coin is that I find the music produced less warm and inviting, big diffirences I noticed is in the bass, the LM3875 gives a percusive sound to bassdrums, and a proper note in response to the bass guitar (I.e. they sound diffirent).

The rev. C seems to mute this charateristic, and the bass is certainly less warm/interesting.
On the other side of the spectrum, the treble is much more fluid and revealing (maybe too much so).

The stereo image was certainly better here, in fact I don't think I have ever heard the instruments move from the plane between the speakers to about a meter infront of the amp.... interesting!

I recon as with these things it needs to run in a bit, (my input caps are well run in though).

I can hear there is something brilliant in there just waiting to be unlocked.. just gotta find the key

A few pics from the listening session of my_ref at audiopax.My my_ref is the one with the wood panel.

Attachments

• 106_0657mrf.jpg
    106_0657mrf.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 1,003
Here is my latest creation

1.1 kVA C-Core power supply (just had to do it. seeing that i get them at a very decent price. $ 80 each
Bipolar feedback. (Under the board)
Sprague main caps main caps

The bass on this is simply amazing and over all clarity is much better that what i used to have.

you might ask about my usual off-board power supplies for the opamp. Well it is coming. Just waiting for the transformers.

Attachments

• 1kva.jpg
    1kva.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 924