My "audiophile" LM3886 approach

Well, that clearly makes the point, who's honest.

Does that by implication mean who's NOT honest?

Help me out here, please. I think I know how to interpret that. I'll grant you I may be wrong. I think the issue is the use of snubbers without appropriately granting credit to the originator of the idea for the use of snubbers. Would the real snubber inventor please stand up? I don't think he pays much attention to this thread. I believe there are references to snubbers in print that pre-date this entire forum. I believe to accuse anyone here of dishonesty stemming from the use of them in power supplies is disrespectful, in that it is not based on fact.

Again, I could be wrong. At this point I don't think so. I'm interested in a better understanding of this issue.

bg40403 said:
Help me out here, please. I think I know how to interpret that. I'll grant you I may be wrong. I think the issue is the use of snubbers without appropriately granting credit to the originator of the idea for the use of snubbers. Would the real snubber inventor please stand up?

I never claimed to have invented anything, and I even pointed out an article on TNT-audio on my first thread about the snubber.
But it was deeply forgotten.
My alert was / is: anywone who want to use any of my schematics for commercial use should contact me.
That's the minimum decent attitude to have.
Thank you.

I would never sell Jung regs without previously contacting Want Jung for permission.
Or Mauro's amp before contacting him.
And the designer name would be on the PCB.
Mauro didn't invent the op-amp too, neither that implementation.

Let's get serious, shall we?
Cordiality is nice.

I never thought I'd have to educate someone here...:xeye:

Oh no... Keep my name out of that argument...

I don't talk sports, religion or politics.. And that goes for Snubbers too.

I mentioned that I would try it. I don't buy into ANYONE else’s hype, I listen for my self.

And I will NEVER discuss my opinion on the internet once I finish trying it.

EDIT; spelling

carlosfm said:
Anyone who wants to use any of my schematics for commercial use should contact me.

Carlos, I have never had any problem understanding you. :)

I also ask before I use prior art, and I have not used anything of yours.

Why the heck would anyone want or need to ask you about snubbers? Is there something new in your schematic? Really... Is there any reason to use them? Ridiculous.

The concepts are plain enough to anyone who has taken an hour or two to google LRC networks/effects and Zobel networks. So why try to place your particular "scheme" on a pedistal. Sure, its interesting, no its not news.

Carlos,

Have you built or listened to any of the 'audiophile approach' type amps? If not, why?

Regarding the snubbers, Carlos may not be the inventor but he was clearly the first to discover that a not-so-great-sounding hicap PS may be significantly improved with just two extra components. Is it so difficult to give him a little credit?

analog_sa said:
Is it so difficult to give him a little credit?

Absolutely not, I give him full credit to bringing snubbers to the attention of this forum. Absolutely. For that, Thanks Carlos. Seriously. It is good and interesting work. The debate is not to deprive him of his credit, but simply to state that this is no ordinary chipamp. The LM3886 in this amp is not operated as a simple voltage amplifier like Carlos' chipamp. The same PSU priciples do not always apply, this is critical, and it is a point Mauro has made over and over.

Yet... Carlo's "seems" to not give Mauro the credit of having thought through the design to the detail on the power supply, in fact from the very beginning of the thread Carlos has not had a single good thing to say about the design.

So lets be completely honest about credit.

I don't take anything from Carlos for his effort. Irecognize it. I apploud it. Good work.

Now lets give Mauro his due as well.

Russ White said:
Why the heck would anyone want or need to ask you about snubbers? Is there something new in your schematic? Really... Is there any reason to use them? Ridiculous.

The concepts are plain enough to anyone who has taken an hour or two to google LRC networks/effects and Zobel networks. So why try to place your particular "scheme" on a pedistal. Sure, its interesting, no its not news.

I must be talking chinese.
Dare you to copy and sell any on my schematics.
I'm not talking about the use of a snubber, deam it.
And I'm not putting anything on a pedestal, you keep ******* in the wind.

Sorry to break up the dance, but can I ask an amp Q?

I need to order heatsinks as I've none spare, so what rating in degrees C/W d o you suggest? I'm thinking around 1.3 C/W, but the datasheet seems to be written in ancient mongolian at this point.
I don't think I've missed this in the thread so far, but apologies if I did.

analog_sa said:
Carlos,

Have you built or listened to any of the 'audiophile approach' type amps?

No, and I already said I didn't.
What I did, and long ago, was many implementations with the LM3886, and lots of PSU arrangements.

analog_sa said:
If not, why?

Because I'm very satisfied with my amp, and this is by any standard.
I listen to lots of amps (in any price range) and really, I'm happy now.
Also, I don't believe in this implementation, there are some things I don't agree, but that's my personal oppinion and I'll leave it for my own.
I don't criticize people to make research and something original, that's good, but I always have my worries on anything or any detail on a design that may affect an overall transparent, tight and very detailed (but at the same time neutral) sound that I love.
Anything that I can say or suggest will automatically be badly interpreted, so there's no use giving my oppinions.

float said:
Sorry to break up the dance, but can I ask an amp Q?

I need to order heatsinks as I've none spare, so what rating in degrees C/W d o you suggest? I'm thinking around 1.3 C/W, but the datasheet seems to be written in ancient mongolian at this point.
I don't think I've missed this in the thread so far, but apologies if I did.

Jeez its about time. :)

Well 1.3 per chip should be OK, I would try to do a littlle better if is for both chips.

Cheers!
Russ

carlosfm said:

I must be talking chinese.
Dare you to copy and sell any on my schematics.
I'm not talking about the use of a snubber, deam it.

Carlos, you're talking chinese :)

Can you explain the what it is about the schematics that is yours to ask people this? I'm not critisizing or judging what you say, I just don't understand where you are drawing the line as to what is 'yours'

I can hear several people saying that the snubber is not new, and you didn't invent it, but you did bring it to the forum. You don't seem to be disputing that.

It doesn't sound like Russ will be adding a snubber anytime soon to the design, but are you saying that if he did, he would have to ask your permission for that?

I just don't understand where you're coming from. :(

Michael

Cheers Russ,
Yes I was planning on one per chip; it just seems safer somehow.

More basics if I may; any idea of bandwidth? output impedance?
This is actually a class B amp, right?

On a more practical note, do you think the DC protection is good enough for direct connection to a tweeter in an active set-up?
I'm thinking ahead to a possible move to a DCX2496 and four or six of these...:rolleyes:

float said:

More basics if I may; any idea of bandwidth? output impedance?
This is actually a class B amp, right?

On a more practical note, do you think the DC protection is good enough for direct connection to a tweeter in an active set-up?
I'm thinking ahead to a possible move to a DCX2496 and four or six of these...:rolleyes:

On the first question, well I think it should actually be classified "AB".

On the second, I would still use a cap to protect an expensive tweeter, but at least you can rest a little easier. :)

:drink: