My "audiophile" LM3886 approach

The possibility of heat sinks does exist. We have been busy with designing, purchasing, kit building, and parenting (and working our day jobs), but was going to buy heatsinks from barredboss (see him on eBay) to offer through the site as well.

For those not interested in buying more than they need, it could be a simple one stop solution. I need to make sure we have the funding to buy them.

They will be the same heatsinks sold with the RevA group buy a while back.

Here are the dimensions: 5 3/8" (132mm) wide, 4" (98mm) tall, 3/8" (9mm+) base thinkness, 1" (24.5mm) fin height.

One heatsink will work fine for two channels. We could also get 3" (73.5mm) tall pieces for those looking for mono arraingements.

Please post some feedback. If you want a bunch of them, I would go directly to him. He sells it in 12" and 24" lengths and cuts for free. If you don't need that much (just one or two pieces), we'd be glad to help out.

Monoblocks up an running

Hi Russ, hi Brian, hi folks !

My pair of Rev C monoblocks is running since 14:00 pm. I´m VERY satisfied until know, surely there more I will be when they burnt in a few days. The soundstage with my FE103E Buschhorns is just amazing, no other words for that. Instruments and singers are nailed onto position :cloud9: . Happyhappy, joyjoy. No more time to write, got to listen ... Pics will follow.

Well its the one I have been working on for the past 3 weeks or so. :) Mauro got me thinking about it with an email he sent me. Its the MCU controlled PGA2311 pre you may have seen on the other thread. If you like the FreeBird you just may enoy this one even more. The noise floor is lower than my sound card (audigy 4) can detect.

I will be posting more details soon. Also may be looking for beta testers for the two sided board as I only like eteching single sided for my protos. :)

Cheers!
Russ

Russ

A while back I built this preamp prototype based on a PGA2310 (a kit from Elektor). It sounds pretty good but I prefer something with a knob you can turn instead of push buttons. Also the reaction time of the push buttons is rather slow. I do like the fact that it has an LCD screen .

Cheers

Attachments

• pga_pre1m.jpg
    pga_pre1m.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 1,090
GeWa said:
Russ

A while back I built this preamp prototype based on a PGA2310 (a kit from Elektor). It sounds pretty good but I prefer something with a knob you can turn instead of push buttons. Also the reaction time of the push buttons is rather slow. I do like the fact that it has an LCD screen .

Cheers

Man you are going to love this. :) The volume is controlled by a pot, but the pot is not in the signal path, it is just used by the ADC to get the 8 bit value for the volume.

Also mine has buffered, output so that it can drive loads lower than 600ohm such as headphones.

Cheers!
Russ

Russ White said:

I will be posting more details soon. Also may be looking for beta testers for the two sided board as I only like eteching single sided for my protos. :)

Count me in, I haven't had a new Russ White Beta project for at least two weeks :D The Freebird sounds great, if this new preamp sounds even better, it will be unreal!

Actually, I should get back to my RevC beta's instead of posting here... :)

Michael

GeWa said:
Can I try to persuade you to ad an LCD readout for this pre? It could show the level in dB of each channel for instance.:rolleyes:

Regards

Well, I could, but it would make the project much more complicated and much much larger and more expensive. I would probably take that on as a new and seperate project. One of the aims of this particular pre is simplicity, and minimal components. I love the fact it only uses an 8 pin microcontroller. This pre is very very small, just a bit larger than freebird. Still your request is one I am working on, its just I think thats another pre. This pre is simplicity itself. :)

Cheers!
Russ