My "audiophile" LM3886 approach

Brian,

I'm loading resistors in the beta monobloc, and I have a R41 270 ohm in the kit that I cannot find a home for, and a missing R42 on the board. Is that just a typo, or am I going blind...?

Is there anything I should be watching out for on these boards? (dang this thread is getting long)

Michael

maf_au said:
Brian,

I'm loading resistors in the beta monobloc, and I have a R41 270 ohm in the kit that I cannot find a home for, and a missing R42 on the board. Is that just a typo, or am I going blind...?

Is there anything I should be watching out for on these boards? (dang this thread is getting long)

Michael

Hi Michael,

R41 270R goes in the spot for R42, and it should work just fine, but if you should find it is unstable(not likely) put a 47R reistor there instead.

Other things to look out for.

The NC (just them not the others, they are the round ones) pins for the LM3886 will need to be bored out a bit as they were drilled too small.

The fastons will be tight, but you should be OK, just use a pair of plyers to work them in and/or bore them out just a tad. Keep in mind the faston tabs have one pin that is slightly larger than the other. The holes account for that. So it will fit better one way than the other.

be very careful soldering R19 amd R20 not to form a solder bridge between the two very close pads.

All of these things(and more tweaks) have already been addressed in the production PCB.

Cheers!
Russ

Thanks Russ,

Cool. Saw the small NC holes, and I've played installing the Fastons before. Someone suggested burring over the pins with pliers to make them more rounded, and that makes them easier to insert.

R42 is in...

The .1% resistors (R5,6,8,9) are a bit tight lengthwise, I've not used this type before and I'm reticent to bend the lead too close to the resistor in case it fractures or something, I've left them slightly tilted so they go in without stress.

Michael

RevC Preorders

Hi all-

Russ and I are now accepting preorders for RevC monblock PCBoards and Parts Kits. The boards have ben ordered, and the kits are being put together. We expect to be shipping by October 24th.

More at: http://twistedpearaudio.com

The web site makes the whole process eaier, because we don't have to keep a Wiki updated and swim in a bunch of emails.

The web site isn't done yet, but the preorder page is working.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
more updates

Hi folks,
I made more changes to my amp based on the original My_ref kit.
For those of you who recall my previous adventures, I'd changed the input cap to a Russian surplus paper in oil cap. After extended listening, I decided that the PIO caps obscure too much detail and aren't what I want in sound from my caps. So I switched to some Blackgate 0.47uf 50v NX nonpolar caps. I've liked the sound of these in previous projects and think they are a definite upgrade here. They need some time to break in but they sound very good once they settle in.

I also changed the amp to a Rev C version by judicious use of SMT parts on the old board.
I found it interesting to see that the offset of the amp changed. Where I'd previously had about -9mv offset in each channel it now dropped to ~1.5mv. Both numbers are low enough not to be a concern but I did find it surprising.

In terms of sound quality, I think I like the Rev C a bit better and will keep it set up this way.

Thanks,
---Gary

Re: more updates

GaryB said:
Hi folks,
I made more changes to my amp based on the original My_ref kit.
For those of you who recall my previous adventures, I'd changed the input cap to a Russian surplus paper in oil cap. After extended listening, I decided that the PIO caps obscure too much detail and aren't what I want in sound from my caps. So I switched to some Blackgate 0.47uf 50v NX nonpolar caps. I've liked the sound of these in previous projects and think they are a definite upgrade here. They need some time to break in but they sound very good once they settle in.

I also changed the amp to a Rev C version by judicious use of SMT parts on the old board.
I found it interesting to see that the offset of the amp changed. Where I'd previously had about -9mv offset in each channel it now dropped to ~1.5mv. Both numbers are low enough not to be a concern but I did find it surprising.

In terms of sound quality, I think I like the Rev C a bit better and will keep it set up this way.

Thanks,
---Gary

HI Gary,

Always great to see what you are doing. :)

Intesting on the offset voltage, I noticed the same thing. It does make sense though since the feedback net is changed.

I have tried some blackgates, and some nichicon muse input caps, both sound great. Also the Wima film caps sound excellent, especially the nice big 1uf box types.

I would tend to agree with you as far as REV C over A, but that is really because I put a lot of importance on phase/soundstage. The REV A actually has higher bandwidth, and some will actually prefer it. My brother in law is a good example. He preferred the Rev A in a sided by side test, where as my wife loves REV C.

Cheers!
Russ

Russ & Brian,

Website is good, congratulations on getting the shopping cart done first! Many websites seem to be all fluff and 'online ordering coming soon'

Suggestions:

Could you offer a single RevC kit? Anyone wanting to build an odd number of channels will want one.

Could you add Russ's little potentiometer board as an option for the 'birds? It probably wouldn't be worth shipping on it's own, but it's a handy thing...

Michael

for Maf_Au, the caps

Hello Maf_Au.
Could i ask the brand and type of yours input cap? C13, C29 and the input of LM318N?
i used after the first test, the very very good Arcotronic Nissei mkt.
But i'm very curious about datasheet of yours choice.
Thanks a lot
P.S. the rev c it's a very hi end amplifier.
But, discovery this quality it's difficult, for cheapest stereo's....
So, people begin wrong discussion and fighting ........
ciao
Riccardo

Re: for Maf_Au, the caps

riccardo said:
Hello Maf_Au.
Could i ask the brand and type of yours input cap? C13, C29 and the input of LM318N?
i used after the first test, the very very good Arcotronic Nissei mkt.
But i'm very curious about datasheet of yours choice.
Thanks a lot
P.S. the rev c it's a very hi end amplifier.
But, discovery this quality it's difficult, for cheapest stereo's....
So, people begin wrong discussion and fighting ........
ciao
Riccardo

Hi Riccardo,

C13, C29: Futurlec Link

Input of LM318N, do you mean C7, C23? : These were a generic brand, I think they came from Jaycar here..

or Altronics here..

The RevA is pretty good already, I'm interested to hear my RevC when it's finished..

Don't worry about the fighting, this is the internet, of course there is fighting :)

Michael

Edit. Spelling...

Re: Re: for Maf_Au, the caps

maf_au said:
Don't worry about the fighting, this is the internet, of course there is fighting :)...

As long as there are two people on Earth there will be a difference of opinion.

That doesn't mean there has to be fighting.

If people are smart enough to be browsing the web they "should" be smart enough to realize fighting is no way to resolve a dispute.

Russ, Brian-

My brds are almost complete. Case is 75%, should have blast off this week or weekend. :hot: OK, I hope nothing actually "blasts off"... ;)

Re: Re: Re: for Maf_Au, the caps

Thanks a lot for the links and explanation, MaF_Au :),
Ciao Russ!!!! :))

Discussion and opinion:
If the argument of opinion is the My_Ref, i think something (fiuùùùù)
The My_Ref circuits it is'nt a gainclone, OK?
For to have an opinion about this circuit i must have a very transparent stereo, very very high quality, very high components matching.A big Hifi culture.
At the same time, i need to have a big electronic's knowledge. Or culture, if you prefer. At the first, (low level knoledge) about impedacne matching, after this about the influence of interconnect and cable, and so on about cap and energy store generically, about transformer and their impendance, about cap's ESR ESL XC etc. And finally, i must know the IC and Opamp, and it's inner circuits...
If i haven't this two great possibility, almost...i don't have an "opinion" about this circuit. Only some soggetive impressions
Because i did'nt understood anything about the functioning criteria.

So, i could say something about the sound that i could hear in my bedroom, or in my living room, (with relative acoustic aberration, produced by room volumes..) but not "opinion" about the choice of value of some components. These are only opinion about their own rooms....

I think that is the 1° law of Hi fi.

Do you think this could be right? Wrong?
I, for me, i think it's right ...
Ciao!
Riccardo

http://213.156.45.208/My_Ref/

rabstg said:

As long as there are two people on Earth there will be a difference of opinion.

That doesn't mean there has to be fighting.

If people are smart enough to be browsing the web they "should" be smart enough to realize fighting is no way to resolve a dispute.

Russ, Brian-

My brds are almost complete. Case is 75%, should have blast off this week or weekend. :hot: OK, I hope nothing actually "blasts off"... ;)

Finished My-Ref Rev C

Stuffed another stereo board while wiating on Hurricane Rita. While building, went ahead and made it a Rev C.
Initial impressions; it matches my 15 ohm single driver speakers better than the Rev A. The speakers are high resistance and inductance. The impedance is a rsiing line once past the cabinet effects. By 15K they are over 30 ohms. Suspect the feedback network is dealing with this better.
The sound is creamier, bass a little tauter. The silence between notes more silent. Sounds more like a small, sweet Class A amplifier. Guess this was the original design goal. Goal attained Mauro!
Measurements are better too. Offset is lower, and hum is reduced. Down to 0.0 mv now, the A is 0.1 mv or so.
A swap back and forth may change preferences. Still gotta couple tricks to use on the A already installed in the C board.
But overall a nice improvement on an already very good amplifier. I made some pics, but cannot shrink them down to make the file size requirements. If anyone is capable, I have good pics showing how the Rev C parts were added and moved.

George

Re: Finished My-Ref Rev C

If your picture are too big, you could use: http://www.imageshack.us/

and post here only the link.
ciao
RR

Panelhead said:
Stuffed another stereo board while wiating on Hurricane Rita. While building, went ahead and made it a Rev C.
Initial impressions; it matches my 15 ohm single driver speakers better than the Rev A. The speakers are high resistance and inductance. The impedance is a rsiing line once past the cabinet effects. By 15K they are over 30 ohms. Suspect the feedback network is dealing with this better.
The sound is creamier, bass a little tauter. The silence between notes more silent. Sounds more like a small, sweet Class A amplifier. Guess this was the original design goal. Goal attained Mauro!
Measurements are better too. Offset is lower, and hum is reduced. Down to 0.0 mv now, the A is 0.1 mv or so.
A swap back and forth may change preferences. Still gotta couple tricks to use on the A already installed in the C board.
But overall a nice improvement on an already very good amplifier. I made some pics, but cannot shrink them down to make the file size requirements. If anyone is capable, I have good pics showing how the Rev C parts were added and moved.

George