My "audiophile" LM3886 approach

I don't know if Farnell has them, but Goodsky RW-SH-124D is a direct substitute for the Omron and is confirmed to work fine with no failures to date (in 80+ monoblocks supplied to date).

Reply from Goodsky distributor

'This relay is not stocked in the UK and as the minimum order quantity is 1000 pcs I would recommend you obtain an equivalent relay from another manufacturer.'

Reply from Goodsky distributor

'This relay is not stocked in the UK and as the minimum order quantity is 1000 pcs I would recommend you obtain an equivalent relay from another manufacturer.'

Funky - that 24V sugarcube is a common industrial-spec relay. There are lower-grade Chinese replacements, but the Goodsky and Omron sugarcubes are relatively well-built, not too expensive and widely available. They also work well in the MyRef protection circuit.

... I actually prefer removing C13. The sound is more clear and neutral.

Yes, obviously - the best input coupling cap is no cap. However, unless all possible sources that you may connect to it have a confirmed DC offset of zero, the input coupling cap is a necessary evil. Many PC soundcards don't have output coupling caps and have output DC offsets of 100s of mV, which will definitely cause multi-volt output DC offsets at the speaker, which will cook your woofers fairly quickly.

i've been dreaming of a transformer volume control to go with a dc coupled myref. Budget AVC Do-It-Box Kit (23 Step) | Diy HiFi Supply
well outside of my budget, and still the cheapest.

one can only dream, right? ;)
Have you considered something like the Lightspeed or Lighter Note? I have listened to a Korean version of this concept and it seemed to be the best I have heard. My kits are still sitting there in line.

Korean version of lightspeed? I've never seen such a thing. Could you provide me with a link please?

(side note: If you want the best korean hifi has to offer, I think Silvaweld preamps are the way to go. they were built to compete against the best of Japanese gears for the fraction of the price.)

there was one comment on a thread here somewhere that said the lightspeed's sound was fatiguing with the myref.

there has been nothing further said about the synergy of lightspeed but that honest comment alone was enough to make me steer clear of the decision.

We are probably in the area of personal preferences at this point, but I'll relay my findings.

I have driven several MyRefs with the Lightspeed, the Lighter Note and a vintage (and perfect as far as I know) Carver C-1 preamp. Both the LS and the Carver produce a bit more body at the expense of a tad more distortion. The Lighter Note's clarity sounds exceptional to my ears but generally does'nt create the same SPL. That is why I'm attampting to incorporate the JC-2 kit (Read Parasound JC2 reference) also known for its neutrality, into the integrated build.

If the JC-2 does actuall color the sound or add some form of distortion - I, at this point, will happily stick with the Lighter Note. The internals of the sound are the best I have heard.

- Your mileage may vary - :)

Last edited:
Korean version of lightspeed? I've never seen such a thing. Could you provide me with a link please?
No.
"Lightspeed" belongs to Georgehifi.
He gave us the design and schematic and told us how to select components and how to build it.

Every time we opt to build our own in lieu of buying Georges "Lightspeed" he loses the income of a sale.
He was generous enough to reveal his secret.
Don't go and support some thief that has stolen George's IP and potential income flow.

Particularly don't ask any Forum Member to help that thief bypass the owner of the Lightspeed IP.

no ofcourse not, andrew. i had no intention of promoting let alone privately purchase the thing.

i'm merely curious if its a carbon copy or a different iteration of the concept.

im assuming youve already seen the thing but if not, i think we should choose to investigate rather than assuming that this is another chinese plagiarism when korea doesn't even share the same reputation.

it's better to define the sin before condamning it, no?

(side note: If you want the best korean hifi has to offer, I think Silvaweld preamps are the way to go. they were built to compete against the best of Japanese gears for the fraction of the price.)

there was one comment on a thread here somewhere that said the lightspeed's sound was fatiguing with the myref.

there has been nothing further said about the synergy of lightspeed but that honest comment alone was enough to make me steer clear of the decision.
It was a company affiliated with Nasotec. I cannot find the link anymore. Maybe I should use the term LDR based volume control. There are many variations out there. The one I listened to was a full suite with remote volume control. Was not cheap.

I think the fatiguing sound may be due many reasons, most of which are interface related. For example, I have some Randall Research interconnects that sound fatiguing, but now I can just use an adapter to adjust the impedance properties so that it sounds very good. It's a pity that audio does not have good interface standards that companies abide by to eliminate interface problems.

Last edited:
No.
"Lightspeed" belongs to Georgehifi.
He gave us the design and schematic and told us how to select components and how to build it.

Every time we opt to build our own in lieu of buying Georges "Lightspeed" he loses the income of a sale.
He was generous enough to reveal his secret.
Don't go and support some thief that has stolen George's IP and potential income flow.

Particularly don't ask any Forum Member to help that thief bypass the owner of the Lightspeed IP.
Let's not mix Trademark with Intellectual Property.
One thing I am curious of is that darTZeel uses this technology, but LDRs contain substances that are not RoSH compliant. So why can they sell it in the EU?
What also amazes me is that lots of people still use lead solder in the EU, how does it get in? Is it legal?