My Aleph 5 isn't working

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yes, all the transistors gets warm in a few minutes, except for the BC 550. I will definetly have to check that.
Where could I get datasheets of BC 550 and MPSA 18(I don't have any literature at home and it's weekend... so I need it for the pin check).

thx,
DJG

OK, I have checked the pin layout and find out that both BC 550 are inserted wrong. So I have turned them and try again...
Now the whole output part(fets and 3W resistors) is boiling. Literaly. When I turn it on it takes about 10 seconds before the heatsinks goes hot, hot, hot! What could be the reason? IRF9610 are only warm(working temperature).

regards,
DJG

Check you voltages across the source resistors if possible. If not check to see if you have a shorted Mosfet. Check the circuit around Q5, R17,18, and 19 they set the current. Let someone else take a look at it. It will give you a break and maybe they will find something you were not looking for. Good luck, Mike

Hi, DJG

I'm happy, that you resolved the problem.

I just finished a tube preamp for the alephs (60), and sounds GREAT!!! Alephs needs preamp (this is my oppinion...), and a tube one makes the sound more warm and "sophisticated". You know what I mean... :).

I will soon post a schematic and some pictures...

Regards,
Miki.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.