My aleph 2 heatsink

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2003
Paid Member
After spending considerable amounts of time searching for the right heatsink for my project, I have decided on M&M metals in part because they are DIY friendly.
I am about to purchase 8 pcs of this extrusion for my aleph 2.
Each piece will be cut to 12" Length, and will be black anodized.
I will be mounting 3 IRP244s per sink, and I am hoping this will be enough. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
JH

Attachments

• mm10928.jpg
    mm10928.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 901
Joined 2003
Paid Member
That is a good idea, I havent considered it. I still have a long time before all the parts are gathered to build it, so case config may change. My goal is to keep the toroid as far away as possible from the main pcb, and output signal wires, plus the bigger case will allow for better airflow

jh

MM Metals is a great company to do buisness with. They are very friendly and courteous to the DIY'er and they seem to enjoy supplying us with sinks.

To me though the 500.00 quote seems a bit on the high side. I used the MM 5061 six inch long High Power extrusion for my 2's. a total of Six per amplifier. Here is a link to the 5061....
http://www.mmmetals.com/pages/mediu..._heat_sinks/high_power_extruded_heat_sink.htm

While not as convenient as the flat back stuff (hey and everyone is building flat back heatsunk amps these days!) these sinks are super efficient and the amps run at about 52 deg c. with the bias resistor removed! They also cool down VERY fast and are cool to the touch in only about 10 min. These sinks cost me about 350.00 for 12 of them cut to the 6 inch length. Mine were not anodized as I prefer to have that done after all machine work is completed....good way to hide mistakes! You may want to have them re-quote them un-anodized and then have that done locally. Its usually ALOT cheaper. Its only about 50 bucks to get 12 of mine anodized. Not having M&M anodize them may speed up yur order quite a bit, it did mine.

My amp has a sort of a Krell look to it...I always kinda liked that look...it definately makes for a good visual high power statement as well.

Mark

P.S. I used the smaller MM5060 version of those for my Mini Aleph. 2 sinks and 2 devices per sink. However, I was able to get these from surplus house very inexpensively as they were removed from equipment (but in operatin condition of course!).

Joined 2002
Paid Member
I used the MM1645 profile, 8 pieces cut to 9" lengths and anodized black for my Aleph 2 monoblocks.
The amps run 38 deg c at the top of the heatsink, but the bias it not up all the way.
Perhaps M&M raised prices since May of 2002, my invoice was only $144.72, but they didn't have to ship them far.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.