My 1st Aleph Amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Almost done

Well I'm finally done... almost. The Antek transformer buzzes something aweful, you can hear it across the room and the right channel hums at the same resonance as the transformer.

Other then this last item, everything is working perfectly. The sound is more laid back like a tube system. The imaging is unbelievable. It sounds like there is a large monoral speaker in the center of my listening room.

The front panel is 1" thick lexan that I frosted with an orbital sander using 120 grit paper. The recessed holes are drilled with a forstner bit on my drill press.

Here are a couple more pics:

Attachments

• img_0316.jpg
    img_0316.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 3,274
Thanks guys for the compliments! Jacco I got a good chuckle from the bumper sticker comment, thanks.

I found the source of the loud buzz. I traced it back to my front porch light. Who would have thought!

I still have a slight hum on the right channel. I'm trying to trace back to the offending part or a possible ground loop.

The sound is out of this world. The sound stage is just as incredible as the imaging. In the last song on Sargent Pepper, Day in a life, a little more than half way through the decaying piano you hear someone in the studio rocking on a chair or stool, then followed by someone whistering "SSShhhhh". Awesome detail.

The remander of the system is a Marantz CD63 driving an Adcom GDA-700 balanced DAC, a basic BOSOZ, and the Aleph30. The speakers are Vandersteen 2ce's with Audio Magic speaker wire in a bi-wired configuration. Also the interconnects are the top end cables from DIYCable.com.

I really liked the 200w per channel ROTEL 550bx the Aleph30 replaces, but the Aleph in a whole level better. The Aleph30 just grabs the speaker cones by the horns and demonstrates it authority over the whole audio range.

I was concerned that 30 watts per channel would not be enough for the Vandersteen's, but the system actually plays loud enough with enough authority for my enjoyment.

The bumper sticker on the back says it all: THANK YOU Nelson for your generousity and support!

-David

eapavant said:
Very nice job! I really like the front panel. It gives me something to aim for in my aleph in progress. What is your transformer rated at? It looks like you switched from two to one?

Yes I switched from 2 transformers to 1 based on recommendations here in the forum. I think I have gotten good advise which is if you are using 2 transformers you need 2 bridges, and I only planned on using 1 PSU.

The transformer is an Antek 45+45 at 800VA. I hooked up the primaries for 230VAC to run off 120VAC to get 22.5+22.5VAC. The transformer is not very expensive on eBay. It does hum however, enough so that you can hear it in a silent room about a foot away.

I was so excited at getting the amp working I couldn't even remember what it replaced. Yes it is that good!

The Aleph replaced a Rotel 990bx and not the 550bx.

-David

dw8083 said:

Yes I switched from 2 transformers to 1 based on recommendations here in the forum. I think I have gotten good advise which is if you are using 2 transformers you need 2 bridges, and I only planned on using 1 PSU.

The transformer is an Antek 45+45 at 800VA. I hooked up the primaries for 230VAC to run off 120VAC to get 22.5+22.5VAC. The transformer is not very expensive on eBay. It does hum however, enough so that you can hear it in a silent room about a foot away.

I was so excited at getting the amp working I couldn't even remember what it replaced. Yes it is that good!

The Aleph replaced a Rotel 990bx and not the 550bx.

-David

What is the BIAS current and the rail voltage of your amp?

lscangus said:

What is the BIAS current and the rail voltage of your amp?

The bias and voltage are set to stock values for an Aleph30. The stock values worked well with the largest MF350-151.5 heatsink from www.conradheatsinks.com . I can leave my hand on the heatsinks for about 5-6 seconds after 3 hours, and about 4 seconds after 5-6 hours of use. A pretty decent temp range.

For my first amp I'm extremely happy with the results. This is one of the very best sounding amps I've ever owned or auditioned.

The imaging is astounding with the Vandersteen 2ce's and my old ADCOM GDA-700 DAC, and prototyped BOSOZ. You think you are listening to one large 5' monoral speaker in the middle of the room. Within the sound image the sound from each of the musicians assembles in the right place. Listening to the remastered "Tommy" from the WHO, you hear Pete, Moon, Roger, and John in there standard stage formation, with Pete occasionally moving around like he does.

Really cool and fun to chase through my CD catalog rediscovering new insights to old favorates.

-David

jleaman said:
That's a nice chassis. How do you like the power on/off power kit?

Thanks Jason for the kind words, and especially a BIG thank you for pulling the parts tGB ogether!

I'm using Maxhawks power on kit. It works really well with some very nice design touches. I particularly like the jumper option to configure the power on state. I have mine set to power on automatically when AC power is applied. This works great if a person use a line conditioner to power on a system as I do.

The recessed blue softwitch creates a cool blue glow in the Lucite front panel in the dark.

Thank you again for your contribution to the project.

-David

dw8083 said:

Thanks Jason for the kind words, and especially a BIG thank you for pulling the parts tGB ogether!

I'm using Maxhawks power on kit. It works really well with some very nice design touches. I particularly like the jumper option to configure the power on state. I have mine set to power on automatically when AC power is applied. This works great if a person use a line conditioner to power on a system as I do.

The recessed blue softwitch creates a cool blue glow in the Lucite front panel in the dark.

Thank you again for your contribution to the project.

-David

Do you have a link to his site for the power on switch or a email. Id like to buy 3 of them from himbut lost his email addy. I love the kit's to.. The would work really well in my aleph mini's and pre-amp.

dw8083 said:
Hi Jason,

Maxhawk's contact information is here in the GB thread:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=61653

There are a couple of errors for part orientation on the underside of the PCB silkscreen. The errors are documented in the GB thread. Mine fired up the first time.

I've found him very responsive.

-David

Thanks dw :) How are you're amps running ? Did you see the new group buy for smd one's also ?

jleaman said:

Thanks dw :) How are you're amps running ? Did you see the new group buy for smd one's also ?

Hi Jason,

The amp is running beautifully. The clearity and authority of the sound is simply fantastic. I feel really lucky to have participated in the mini-A GB. Also these heatsinks are ideal for an Aleph30 at a very reasonable cost. Running the Amps for several hours at a time, the temperature is right there where it should be. I've never build a project that required this much heatsinking. If I place my hands on the side of the sinks, I can feel the cool air convection. Even though the my hand can remain on the sinks for about 5 seconds before it becomes uncomfortable, I can easily keep my index finger on the head of the mosfet hold down screw for twice that long.

I'll give the smd GB a look.

Thanks!,

-David

mefinnis said:
Most impressive ;)

I too started with 1x 650VA and replaced with 2x 500VA.

Large inductors/caps in my PS and at start-up you could hear the single TF shudder - not a recipe for a long life !!

cheers,
mark

Mark, I wanted to thank you for putting together such a nice website describing your experiences in building an Aleph amp.

The bend-up aluminum chassis in my amp was inspirted from techniques you had used in your design.

Thanks!

-David

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.