mutting transistors on the output of Marantz cd40 help!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks Goran. I have an Arcam Alpha and an Alpha 5 to modify when I find time, I was thinking of doing a protoboard psu for the DAC along similar lines to this or one of the other various shunt regulator designs which are floating around. :)

There are a lot of designs u can use, no matter what you will choose, i would suggest you to use the separate trafo's and PSU for SAA7220, SAA7310 (the best results in my case) and of course separate trafo and PSU for TDA1541.

Photos of my marantz and telefunken. You can notice how transport looks.

Attachments

• Picture 012.jpg
    Picture 012.jpg
    510.1 KB · Views: 71
  • 103_3971.jpg
    103_3971.jpg
    564.5 KB · Views: 75
Goran Hi

It's started to change track very slowly and struggles with the last one.
Also the movement up and down at the edges of the disc is quite noticeable
but I can not work out why. The magnetic puck is doing the same job and was not supported by the plastic transport frame during ' PLAY '

I'll change the caps back to 100 uf today and let you know if this improves track search.

Since inserting much larger caps on the dac board and also on the main board
the sound is changing quite a bit as time goes on. I think for the very first time I am hearing burn in - I can't believe it:eek:
I always laughed at burn in comments but now I'm starting to think it's possible:D.

Thanks for the offer too - yes please !

Andrew

No problem, ill make a board for you, just i need some free time.
Burn in works. For example its very noticable on the SE amps where the output caps are necessary. I was generating the white noise signal from the PC to the input of my SE amp for 48 hours. After that sound was improved. As i suggested you earlier you can record the white noise signal on CD and let it play for several days. You will notice the difference.
I really dont know what could be the problem with your transport. In my case there was no such a problem.
If you cant fix it, just put it back on the plastic case, like it was before.

Last edited:
So, the RIFA's doesnt look so funny now :)
Board for TDA1541 works? I can make one for my self now ;)
Do you have a separate regulator for 7310?

For 7310 no I dont have one,yet.

The board is perfect. It just fits in the case tight. No need to screw it.
The only think I changed was a +5V cap at the 1541, so sound now a little different. I had Cerafine and changed it to Oscon.
I might prefer the Cerafine there.
Or it needs some time to burn in.

So now you can make boards for 1541;)

Last edited:
Danico, i changed the caps on the DAC Vout on my telefunken, now i have ERO 16 uF instead of nichicons. Also, removed the caps on the output of the audio stage. Sounds better then CD40 already. Better bass and middles, highs are still not on the level of the CD40. Some additional modes could make this better. Still dont have PSU for the CXD1125Q. Today ill add psu and trafo for it. Also ill try to build some tube output, or ill just can use the tube preamp i have after DAC Vout. It means i will skip the filter, dont know if that is way to go, anyway its worth to try.

I like how your boards looks, u have nice caps there.

Finally, takeing the signal directly from the DAC Vout (skipping filter) to a tube audio stage, gaves the sound which satisfied me.
All this makes me to think that some DAC's can compare with TDA 1541. And that finall sound its not so tight connected with the type of the DAC.
Modified Telefunken HS975 sounds much better then my modded CD40.

Goran Hi
Is the Pioneer the stable platter type - where you place the CD upside down ?
I heard a Trichord modded version years ago and was blown away by it.
I'd like to mod one in the future. You are correct about DAC types all being good if they are treated correctly - a long time ago I worked in a reasonably high end Hi Fi retail shop and we had very expensive CD Players with all types of chips that sounded very good. I remember the Krell's were very nice and they were not TDA's !! It did not have the tweaks of your CD 40, my Arcam or Bardos machine either so we must be in front by now !!
Question is : where does it all stop ? ;-)
Will we ever be satisfied ?
I have in my head my machine with all ( Goran ) discrete power supplies, DEM reclock and valve output stage then I'm finished.........surely not !!
I am desperate to finish it without breaking it.
How is your valve output stage sounding ? Is it to a valve pre amp or buffer stage ? Tell us more about how the sound changed please !!
NO camera.........damn
Hopefullly tomorrow so I can send you pics of my 7220 board
Hope all is well
Andrew

Goran Hi
Is the Pioneer the stable platter type - where you place the CD upside down ?
I heard a Trichord modded version years ago and was blown away by it.
I'd like to mod one in the future. You are correct about DAC types all being good if they are treated correctly - a long time ago I worked in a reasonably high end Hi Fi retail shop and we had very expensive CD Players with all types of chips that sounded very good. I remember the Krell's were very nice and they were not TDA's !! It did not have the tweaks of your CD 40, my Arcam or Bardos machine either so we must be in front by now !!
Question is : where does it all stop ? ;-)
Will we ever be satisfied ?
I have in my head my machine with all ( Goran ) discrete power supplies, DEM reclock and valve output stage then I'm finished.........surely not !!
I am desperate to finish it without breaking it.
How is your valve output stage sounding ? Is it to a valve pre amp or buffer stage ? Tell us more about how the sound changed please !!
NO camera.........damn
Hopefullly tomorrow so I can send you pics of my 7220 board
Hope all is well
Andrew

Hi Andrew,

The Pionner i have is a comercial model PD6500, still no top-loading, i didnt had time to play with the transport yet. The DAC is 1BIT PD7007. I added PSU&trafo for the DAC, it use +5V just. PSU&trafo for the audio stage (MUSE on the output and silimics for decopuling), and PSU&trafo for the SM5840. The sound is much more deatiled compared with the CD40 or telefunken. Sound stage is better balanced, simply it sound different. I really cant say which player sounds the best, I always liked the sound of the TDA1541.
The point is, every player can be modded to sound good.
For example, the telefunken HS975 use no name DAC 16 bit TD6720N, the power dissipation is 1500mW, i really had troubles to add the PSU for this DAC, but when it was done it started to sing well. I skipped the filter and tooked the signal from the Vout of the DAC directly to a tube gain stage followed with the tube buffer stage. Sounds better then CD40 definitly. Ill try to do the same thing with Pionner.
You are asking where all this will end, you know the answer, it wont be an end. We will always look for something better. Its not just the CD player which should be modded, the preamp, amp..... speakers.
With the modded Pionner i can hear the sounds and details i didnt knew they exist on my CD's.
Some photos of the telefunken connected to a tube preamp, and few of pionner.

Attachments

• 103_3976.jpg
    103_3976.jpg
    513 KB · Views: 107
  • 103_3975.jpg
    103_3975.jpg
    908.4 KB · Views: 107
  • 103_3974.jpg
    103_3974.jpg
    835.5 KB · Views: 115
  • 103_3977.jpg
    103_3977.jpg
    539.7 KB · Views: 101
  • 103_3978.jpg
    103_3978.jpg
    531.1 KB · Views: 104
  • 103_3979.jpg
    103_3979.jpg
    651.2 KB · Views: 54
  • 103_3980.jpg
    103_3980.jpg
    669.3 KB · Views: 54
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.